Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 02:50 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,834,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

Just how old ARE you, anyway, by the way?
Are you speaking of The Equine Market in Massachusetts?
I'm 68.

Yes, in Worcester.
This was back in the 50's so I don't expect it's still there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 07:33 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,439,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I was just kidding about the monkeys, Tomcat. I have been a vegetarian for about 40 years and one of the main reasons is because I consider all creatures my brothers and I don't believe I have the right to exploit them for any reason.
FatFreddy, we are almost neighbors, I live in Central MA (for a year now) and am always on the look out for good vegetarian food. Other than the Living Earth and the new Buddha Hut, can you recommend any restaurants? We sometimes go to the indian restaurants in Shrewsbury or Thai restaurant in Sturbridge, but haven't found much else yet. Thanks!

forum rules, please read them

Old 04-17-2008, 07:55 PM

Ketzenfreund,

I left Massachusetts about 50 years ago and for most of that time I have been a Californian.
We certainly had no trouble finding vegetarian stores or restaurants there.

We recently moved to the Washington Coast and the nearest place where they are common is Seattle which is 150 miles away, so I am in the same boat as you.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Ketzenfreund,

I left Massachusetts about 50 years ago and for most of that time I have been a Californian.
We certainly had no trouble finding vegetarian stores or restaurants there.

We recently moved to the Washington Coast and the nearest place where they are common is Seattle which is 150 miles away, so I am in the same boat as you.
oops, sorry, I just saw Worcester and was excited to see a fellow vegetarian . We lived near DC before moving up here and were extremely spoiled with many wonderful veggie restaurants, my favorites were Java Green and Great Sage.... oh, I get hungry just thinking about them
Take good care

Old 04-18-2008, 04:11 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Life is life...what does it truly matter whether it's ANIMAL or VEGETABLE? I am an omnivore, and I need to eat to sustain myself.

If I were a vegetarian, I could rationalize that with some foods, particularly fruits, the plant survives the harvest. But with others...potatoes, carrots, (root vegetables in general), corn, tomatoes, lettuce, cabbage...the list goes on...the plant does NOT survive from year to year...even if left alone...so I might as well take advantage.

My argument for eating meats are...there are certain animals specifically bred for human consumption. If we were to eschew those meats, their populations would run unchecked. There are countries RIGHT NOW that have more cattle or sheep than humans!

I would be LESS likely to eat those meats not specifically bred for human consumption, but in reality...if I need food, I'll eat whatever I can lay my hands on that is going to provide me with the necessary protein and nutrients. I don't care if it's rattlesnake, bugs, horse meat, human beings...if it's meat, and it satisfies the need, it's fair game.

Did I already say human teeth are designed for OMNIVORES? We have grinding teeth for "meal" and teeth to tear flesh both in our mouths.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post

My argument for eating meats are...there are certain animals specifically bred for human consumption. If we were to eschew those meats, their populations would run unchecked.

I'll eat whatever I can lay my hands on that is going to provide me with the necessary protein and nutrients. I don't care if it's rattlesnake, bugs, horse meat, human beings...if it's meat, and it satisfies the need, it's fair game.
Wait a minute! If they are specifically bred for human consumption, and humans stop consuming them, their populations would disappear, not run unchecked.

But I am glad you can satisfy your dietary needs with whatever you can find crawling around.
You would certainly be an easy dinner guest to prepare for.

I could fix you a delicious appetizer with whoever I could find living under the kitchen sink, and for the main course, all I would have to do would be to turn over some rocks in the backyard and I could serve you a real feast.

Some of us have different standards for what we put into our bodies, but I do like to keep my life simple, so I might just adopt your philosophy.
I think I'll start out with a cockroach on toast for breakfast.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:46 PM

uh oh, cockroach on toast, now that sounds delicious

Old 04-18-2008, 12:52 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,619,729 times
This "debate" is as good as politics or religion, and as serious by the sounds of it.

I guess I didn't realize this was such a "hot" topic, and amusing at times.

It all boils down to your own beliefs, and you will "fight" for them to make others understand. Nothing wrong w/a debate, you can learn and respect others for their side of the story.

What I have a problem w/is the so called "facts", or what people hear and believe is true. Most of what you remember(me included) is what supports your belief. So you become a vegetarian because everyone who raises animals is cruel and stuffs them w/toxins. That is what you "hear" on tv/radio and that is what the media "points" to. The media wants you to read/listen/watch their "product" so they can sell more advertising to make more money. If people think that all farmers put harmful chemicals on plants that you eat and treat and are cruel/inhumane to animals that is fine. Then I can also believe/think that everyone in N.Y. will steal my wallet, and that there is not one heterosexual man on the west coast.

No, it's not true. It's a very small percentage and we can't base our opinion on such a small "number".

I don't have any problem w/vegetarians, I have a problem w/radicals.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post

I don't have any problem w/vegetarians, I have a problem w/radicals.
I don't have any problem with vegetarians, meat eaters, radicals, farmers, or hunters.

At one time or another, I have been in every one of those categories.

What I do have a problem with is anyone who thinks that their particular lifestyle or opinions should apply to anyone other than themselves.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:37 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Wait a minute! If they are specifically bred for human consumption, and humans stop consuming them, their populations would disappear, not run unchecked.

But I am glad you can satisfy your dietary needs with whatever you can find crawling around.
You would certainly be an easy dinner guest to prepare for.

I could fix you a delicious appetizer with whoever I could find living under the kitchen sink, and for the main course, all I would have to do would be to turn over some rocks in the backyard and I could serve you a real feast.

Some of us have different standards for what we put into our bodies, but I do like to keep my life simple, so I might just adopt your philosophy.
I think I'll start out with a cockroach on toast for breakfast.
Well, if we stopped eating them, their current large populations would only grow, not diminish. The fact that we process them into meat reduces their numbers in and of itself. If we didn't, what would happen?

Man is the #1 predator...over ALL animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food