Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2011, 11:25 PM

4 posts, read 10,032 times

Advertisements

So I am a recent college graduate currently living in San Francisco and it looks like theres a good chance I will be getting a job offer for a place located in Camarillo. I am a 24 year old single male and if i get the job I will need to relocate to Ventura County. At this point i think i want to focus on Ventura or cities west of the grade.

Im looking for a 1bedroom apartment or home, and if possible id rather not pay more than a 1k a month since ill have other monthly expenses to deal with. Since i don't know the area very well I'm interested in everyones opinion on good places to look. Id like to be close to people my age since i will need to start over with friends and such. I also know theres a few threads talking about Crime and ghetto areas, but i currently live in San Francisco and it has its bad areas like any city. So I'm mainly looking on suggestions on places to look, what areas tends to have the younger crowd to meet new friends , and what areas to avoid altogether. Easy access to the 101 for commute to Camarillo is a plus also but an extra 10 mins to my drive won't kill me. Alright thanks and let the opinions flow.

-Brad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 07:25 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,258,254 times
Based on your age, I would go with Ventura. Opensky on here will probably be able to tell you where to live in Ventura. There is a lot of nightlife there especially on and around Main Street if partying is your thing plus there is Surfer's Point if you like to surf.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:01 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,409,113 times
Ventura. Camarillo is a very suburban place without a large number of young singles. As LadyKLO noted downtown Ventura has some nightlife. And for something more intense getting into West LA / WEHO / H'wood, etc is not that difficult.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:46 PM

Alright thanks, so if things go through i plan to be visiting the area next week at some point to look things over. Question on downtown though, i take it Main Street and its surrounding streets make up the area but what is considered the general boundaries of downtown of where it starts and ends?

Old 10-05-2011, 03:55 PM

699 posts, read 1,345,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhopkins1134 View Post
Alright thanks, so if things go through i plan to be visiting the area next week at some point to look things over. Question on downtown though, i take it Main Street and its surrounding streets make up the area but what is considered the general boundaries of downtown of where it starts and ends?
Here's a map that might help:

In general, Downtown runs along Main street as it goes solidly east-west. Once it bends towards the southeast, you're in Midtown until you hit Mills.

This map of Midtown is a bit more clear:

Old 10-05-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhopkins1134 View Post
So I am a recent college graduate currently living in San Francisco and it looks like theres a good chance I will be getting a job offer for a place located in Camarillo. I am a 24 year old single male and if i get the job I will need to relocate to Ventura County. At this point i think i want to focus on Ventura or cities west of the grade.

Im looking for a 1bedroom apartment or home, and if possible id rather not pay more than a 1k a month since ill have other monthly expenses to deal with. Since i don't know the area very well I'm interested in everyones opinion on good places to look. Id like to be close to people my age since i will need to start over with friends and such. I also know theres a few threads talking about Crime and ghetto areas, but i currently live in San Francisco and it has its bad areas like any city. So I'm mainly looking on suggestions on places to look, what areas tends to have the younger crowd to meet new friends , and what areas to avoid altogether. Easy access to the 101 for commute to Camarillo is a plus also but an extra 10 mins to my drive won't kill me. Alright thanks and let the opinions flow.

-Brad
Hi Brad,

There are quite a few apartments along Santa Clara and Poli that would suit your needs, though $1k isn't going to go all that far unless you're willing to share a room.

I think you can find something inland in that price range, perhaps in east Ventura at Kimball & 126. The commute to Camarillo will be a breeze as you can take back roads straight in and never hit any traffic.

Downtown is steps from the ocean and as such, demands a premium per square foot. On the other hand, you'll never need the AC and you probably won't need a car for most stuff, except for your commute.

Which brings me (reluctantly, I must say) back to the area I often recommend - midtown, north of Loma Vista and east of Main St. There are quite a few apartments in a beautiful, tree lined street off Dos Caminos Ave (and others in that general area). From here, you can walk to Trader Joe's, the mall, etc., along with the Ventura Transit Center, which has quite a few buses that go into Camarillo (VISTA's "Highway 101" line). It's $1.50 each way. VTC also has 2 lines that run into downtown, though if you're a cycling person, it'd be faster to pedal. It's about a mile+ walk to the ocean from there, and you might even find something in your price range sans room-sharing. The apartments are circa 1960 so be prepared if you're expecting granite, dual pane windows and stainless steel, it ain't here. On the other hand, you can live AC- and car-free.

Good luck.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:39 AM

thank you your maps and input will be a big help. It looks like ill be in the area next week so ill check all those places out.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:19 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,181,984 times
I assume you'll be talking with a realtor and/or property management office (rentals). Some real estate office have property management divisions. Ventura, Oxnard, and other places near the coast are popular with vacationers. You may end up considering a wider area due to costs. I personally rather like Santa Paula, with its 1950s-style downtown, a few miles inland, but I'm several years older than you, and married, so have different criteria. Coast areas are great. I really like Channel Islands National Park. Easy to get to L.A., or even back to S.F., by car or train.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:15 PM

alright thanks for all the help. I ended up renting a 1bd in the midtown area close to memorial park. I move in tomorrow so i look forward to it all.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:02 PM

Congrats! Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County