Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2013, 10:22 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
Not to discourage you, but the past several winters have been mild. This year was worse than last year, but no where near normal winter for Vermont. We have been upgraded statewide with our climate zones, so winters may not be as harsh as they were 10+ years ago. I will not complain about that. If winter only lasted 4-5 months I would be happy.
USDA plant hardiness zones are tricky to pin down for local areas depending on location, elevation, landuse, etc. The zones have shifted north, but I question the criteria they use to measure. It is often based on the absolute lowest temperature that is expected to occur during the course of the year. This past winter season featured quite a bit more variability across the US with some areas actually seeing below average temperatures. The Upper Peninsula of Michigan still has several feet of snow on the ground, a completely different trend from the past several years. This Summer weather pattern looks to be cooler than average for much of New England based on what I'm seeing at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 06:58 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,664,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
USDA plant hardiness zones are tricky to pin down for local areas depending on location, elevation, landuse, etc. The zones have shifted north, but I question the criteria they use to measure. It is often based on the absolute lowest temperature that is expected to occur during the course of the year. This past winter season featured quite a bit more variability across the US with some areas actually seeing below average temperatures. The Upper Peninsula of Michigan still has several feet of snow on the ground, a completely different trend from the past several years. This Summer weather pattern looks to be cooler than average for much of New England based on what I'm seeing at the moment.
The USDA does not change the zones on a whim. They base it on years of research and then make the change. Our climate in Vermont is much more mild than it was 10-15 years ago. In Central Vermont I can remember when it snowed late September to mid October most years. We haven't seen that in close to 10 years. My older kids were always bundled up in the warmest Halloween costumes we could find. My 3 year old complained he was too hot this past year. Even if this year and next were cooler than expected, these patterns happen. Back in the 30's and 40's and sometimes earlier, they had years that were warmer or cooler than average. This was without the atmospheric CO2 issues we now have. The CO2 curve has been climbing exponentially, much faster now than in the 1960s; despite some attempts to slow down emissions, the quantity of gas added to the atmosphere is doubling every 30-35 years. I believe it was an EPA or one of the NOAA environmental studies recently done that proved all of this, along with the temperature charts to make it clear to see. The plants I have in my gardens would have never survived here 15 years ago. We have Japanese Maples that are growing like weeds. The variety we have would never have survived below zone 5. The seedlings were pulled from my mothers yard in Southern CT and directly planted in my yard in Colchester.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:16 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,375,064 times
Today hit 70 degrees (first time this year, I believe), according to bank clock display in town (Brattleboro).
Actually felt "clammy" (muggy) in the car, however the wind (once out & walking around) minimized that sensation.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:31 PM

83,545 posts, read 75,390,209 times
Hope you guys are liking Spring.

Current temps April 24, 2013 5:20pmEST. 70s to Vermont. 60s in CT. Check out Long Island. 40s!

It does feel chilly here with the winds....but good. How cold is that Atlantic Ocean. #

Old 04-24-2013, 03:47 PM

43 posts, read 67,934 times
It was beautiful today in Burlington. Nicest day of the young Spring by far.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:21 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,940,013 times
I walked past a pond on Sunday and heard peepers. I don't know just why, but I always think I'm in an old sci-fi flick when I hear them. Today was grand. Many windows open for the 1st time this year. I was outside working in shorts without a shirt. Swatted my 1st mosquito this evening. Light rain falling tonight which will green things up around here.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:52 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,963,886 times
Heard peepers last night here too, which I was really surprised by...it was straight up hot yesterday, even at our elevation. We got poured on last night and now it's cooled off considerably. But love the peepers sound.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:05 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,664,047 times
It doesn't take long for the bugs to come out as well. I drove south on 89 last evening and my windshield was plastered with bugs.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:22 PM

83,545 posts, read 75,390,209 times
Even though I was complaining about the heat today (mid 60s), Spring is a time I dont regret being down here after seeing Vermont in the 70s lately.

Enjoy it guys. I think we remain status quo for another couple weeks.

Current temps April 28, 2013 5:20pm

Old 04-28-2013, 10:10 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,940,013 times
Status quo is just fine as far as the house I'm working on goes, but the ground is drying out and brush fires are becoming a concern. I really do enjoy the weather this time of year without the humidity. Another week and I'll be squeegeeing bugs off the windshield for certain. Had the wood stove going last night - not tonight, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont