Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2017, 06:10 PM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Nice! You passed through my area. Brattleboro is a cute town, that hill acrosss the river is a neat short hike. It clouded over here just after noon was it the same for Brattleboro?
Was sunny then started clouding up. Warm front coming soon. I got pics of that hill I think. Will post in the VT Photo thread tomorrow maybe.

Awesome here. 6pm temps. Teens here and at freezing back home.

Was watching the Steelers-Patriots game at a local pub noticed it was raining. I knew the warm front was passing them there. Snow here tonight.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 03:33 AM

Yesterdays Min-Max temps. Gees Northern New England. Lows lately have been nuts. 18 below normal in Burlington at 0°F, then warmed up to 18.

Old 12-18-2017, 03:42 AM

1:30-4:30am loop.

Some light snow here in southern VT but looks like I'm on the bottom edge of it now but looks like there was a quick burst before.

Old 12-18-2017, 06:15 AM

9,460 posts, read 5,225,471 times
For anyone interested in moving to Vermont, I think a primary question has to be 'am I ready to deal with long, cold winters?' I've found that, although we moved here because we wanted to experience 'seasons' (we came from a year-round warm climate), a long, cold winter is only 'pleasant' if you have a hobby, are not adversely affected by the lack of light, like to ski (and that's iffy) or do outdoor activities in the cold. I have decided after 15 years that there is no reason for me to stay in cold weather, so retirement planning will involve a move elsewhere. Something else to consider are the 'costs' of winter, in time and $$. Heating costs can be quite expensive. You have to have a decent vehicle and the recommended snow tires (another cost). Costs in time in that you have to allow extra time to get places if it's snowing. Costs to ski (and costs for equipment). If you heat your house with wood, there is the time and effort to harvest wood (if you have it on your property), prepare it (cut/split) and then haul it in to the house. Cleaning out the fireplace, while not that awful, is an added chore. Just things someone should ponder if they are considering a move here, and information that might help you make a plan for living here.

Old 12-18-2017, 07:39 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,962,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Yesterdays Min-Max temps. Gees Northern New England. Lows lately have been nuts. 18 below normal in Burlington at 0°F, then warmed up to 18.

Yesterday was brutal. Never really warmed up. Especially now that the sun is basically going down by 2:30 lol. This is more like mid to late January temps. I'm not prepped for it in December!

Old 12-18-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamjedlicka View Post
For anyone interested in moving to Vermont, I think a primary question has to be 'am I ready to deal with long, cold winters?' I've found that, although we moved here because we wanted to experience 'seasons' (we came from a year-round warm climate), a long, cold winter is only 'pleasant' if you have a hobby, are not adversely affected by the lack of light, like to ski (and that's iffy) or do outdoor activities in the cold. I have decided after 15 years that there is no reason for me to stay in cold weather, so retirement planning will involve a move elsewhere.
Sounds like you had enough. Good luck with the move. Not sure you needed to go that far north for "seasons" but at least you experienced it. Me? I prefer longer winters and shorter summers so Vermont would fit my needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
Yesterday was brutal. Never really warmed up. Especially now that the sun is basically going down by 2:30 lol. This is more like mid to late January temps. I'm not prepped for it in December!

Oh man, I kept looking at the thermometer and was like "is it broken?". Was just hovering 17-19F in Brattleboro and Wilmington. I loved it but I need a few days to get adjusted to that during the day.. Air was so crisp! I know it's below normal for this time of year even for you guys.

The locals were surprised at how much snow has been falling. I felt like saying "Welcome to a front loaded winter". lol. They've probably been used to Just Feb-Mar snows and not December.

I drove through a snowstorm in Manchester this morning. Kind of cool knowing its only 4 hours away from me and just felt and looked so different.

The drive home was fascinating. Went from low 20s and snowing to brown grass and 40s and through pockets of towns in VT & MA where snowpack was fluctuating less and more with elevation 500'-1300'

Old 12-18-2017, 05:07 PM

Radar at the time I was driving through the snow. I was on the bottom edge of the precip but impressive how the mountains and hills just enhance precip there. Note the darkish blues popping up at times.

Still sorting out the pics but here's a couple weather pics from today December 18, 2017..

Route 7A I think or Main Street or Route 30. In Manchester.

On Route 7 In Manchester. Similar in Sunderland & Glastonbury area then lightened up near Bennington.

Then still on Route 7 .. in Bennington. Even looked like it was drizzling. Where's the snow on ground? Nuts. I think was 600' elevation here.

Then still on Route 7 not far from there I believe still in Bennington. What a difference!

Old 12-18-2017, 05:13 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
looks like a fun roadtrip; just hovered around freezing and stayed gloomy no precipitation. I'm about 40 miles south of Brattleboro

Old 12-18-2017, 06:26 PM

8:15pm Radar and temps.. Bennington is reporting rain but it's below freezing at 5000' so I assume the mountains above 2000' are snow. Probably snowing in Manchester again.

Old 12-19-2017, 05:43 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,962,576 times
It snowed here all day yesterday...wasn't really expect more than a dusting and I think we picked up a good 2-3". But calling for rain today, which is just going to become a mess. But more snow later this week!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont