Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 04:03 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,857,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
It never amazes me why people are in so much of a high-fired hurry these days! It is very prevalent here where I live in the outskirts of the Wash DC medtro area. Sounds like VT is getting more of the NJ/CT/MA/NY influence.
Where do you live? I am currently in Manassas. Driving here is incredibly frustrating. At least we ranked number one again in the worst traffic congestion in the area . Driving in Vermont is still a world away from driving here in DC. I'll take Vermont most any day of the week! Of course, it's the Vermonters that always fly by me...not sure if it's the Virginia plates or what
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 04:26 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,632,176 times
Live in the Martinsburg WV Area. I agree, when I go to VT I get passed a lot on super 7 north and I-91. Mind you I drive by cruise control on the open highway, set it and forget it. Sometimes it is Vermonters but most of the plates are out-of-state going by.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:28 AM

986 posts, read 2,334,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_jimerino View Post
Not just tourists. Most people don't seem to know this, even if they've been here for decades. Some one is always screaming about being passed on them on a lot of local newspaper sites comment sections. The other law many people don't seem to know is that unmarked roads are 50mph speed limit until declared otherwise. Vermont's byzantine traffic rules are the result of Vermont infrastructure cheapness for all of these. To cheap to put up extra signs making the speed limit clear. To cheap to install and maintain real shoulders for farm vehicles. To cheap to actually paint lines on roads where they've long since worn off. Make a loophole rule instead so people can work around these deficiencies in road design.
Is that true about the 50 mph thing? I know in NY they've got the State Speed Limit posted as 55 and it means that the speed limit is 55 everywhere unless posted otherwise. Knowing that makes traveling through the more rural parts much nicer. VT should do the same thing. Post signs that say State Speed Limit at various places (like off the highways) or have informational signs at state line crossings.

Most of the roads I've driven in VT don't have room for extra shoulder space. Heck, even in the rural parts of RI and CT, you can get stuck behind farm equipment because there's no room for them to pull over and lots of traffic coming in the opposite direction.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:51 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,269,613 times
From the driver's manual:
The maximum speed for any vehicle on all Vermont roads is 50 miles per hour or as posted. The maximum speed for any vehicle on an Interstate in Vermont is 65 miles per hour or as posted. (page 31)
http://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/fil...nse_Manual.pdf

Old 05-20-2013, 08:51 PM

63 posts, read 138,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtneer12 View Post
If you can pass on a double solid, then what are they there for?
Basically they are there to tell drivers it may not be safe or it is not recommended to pass there. Kind of a do at your own risk thing. It may be legal to do it, BUT if you cause an accident doing so, you will be held responsible. The same goes for u-turns and backing out onto a highway. Both are legal, but if you cause an accident, you are USCWAP.

Also, if you are kind enough to pull over to let the jerk tailgating you go by, but continue to drive rather than stop, and an accident occurs, they will very likely blame it on you since you were traveling on a portion of the road it is not legal to travel on.

The ones that really get me in a twist are the ones who either don't pull over for an emergency vehicle (WT*?!) or just pull to the side but continue to go 40/50 mph. In VT you pull over and S.T.O.P.
You also are required by statute to pull into the opposite lane when a cop has a vehicle pulled over and is taking up ANY portion of the travel lane. If there is oncoming traffic you....yup, stop and *gasp* wait. It seems to be a tough concept no matter what state you are from.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:50 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,081,779 times
It just seems that people on the road are off in their own little world. I often marvel at how 'he could have done that'...assuming that it is a concious process. For many, it is not a 'thinking' thing at all. They have no concept of where they are, what they are doing, or how it might endanger fellow motorists.

To the original poster, i have driven that section of 7 and 22A more times than i care to recall (I'm a skier on my way to Stowe). It is a good road on which you can make good time (except for the local cop who hangs out in the CHURCH parking lot in, i think, it is Addisson. ( I have avoided him, but i still hope god gets him for that!). There are plenty of places to pass and long straight stretches which make passing simple and safe. I hustle right along when i travel through there and often you have to get by a half dozen cars at a clip as they line up behiind the slow moving vehicle...but are afraid to give the wheel that tiny turn to the left.....

Old 05-22-2013, 02:53 AM

221 posts, read 346,294 times
I couldn't agree with you more! I always call 90% of them disabled drivers(no offense to actual disabled people) because really, they're frickin disabled. They have not the first clue about driving, actually I wouldn't call them drivers at all rather wheel holders.

Until this thread I was actually hoping in Vermont it might be different(moving there in about a month) but I take it it's not lol. Oh well.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:14 PM

63 posts, read 138,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
Is that true about the 50 mph thing? I know in NY they've got the State Speed Limit posted as 55 and it means that the speed limit is 55 everywhere unless posted otherwise. Knowing that makes traveling through the more rural parts much nicer. VT should do the same thing. Post signs that say State Speed Limit at various places (like off the highways) or have informational signs at state line crossings.

Most of the roads I've driven in VT don't have room for extra shoulder space. Heck, even in the rural parts of RI and CT, you can get stuck behind farm equipment because there's no room for them to pull over and lots of traffic coming in the opposite direction.
There are signs everywhere that say "State speed limit 50 unless otherwise posted". Every time you enter a 50 mph zone, actually.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:20 AM

400 posts, read 849,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiplarue View Post
There are signs everywhere that say "State speed limit 50 unless otherwise posted". Every time you enter a 50 mph zone, actually.
Where? Not in Vermont. At least not consistently. I've seen some near the border, which helps Canadians or people entering the state who happened to be paying attention at the time they cross over. Blink and you'll miss it though. Those whose lives are contained within the state are left to struggle by in ignorance however.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:03 AM

986 posts, read 2,334,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_jimerino View Post
Where? Not in Vermont. At least not consistently. I've seen some near the border, which helps Canadians or people entering the state who happened to be paying attention at the time they cross over. Blink and you'll miss it though. Those whose lives are contained within the state are left to struggle by in ignorance however.
I've never seen those signs, even having crossed over from NH on roads other than 89 or 93. I've also driven all over the state and have never seen them on roads where the speed limit is 50. I've only seen signs where the speed limit is something else and then there are no more speed limit signs or the signs just say "Speed Limit 50 MPH" with nothing about "unless otherwise posted".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont