Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 03:44 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,500,225 times

Advertisements

I know that lots of Vermonters are ex-New Yorkers. I have been told that a lot of people from NYC moved up after 9/11. I wanted to move to New England since I was a child. I have lived in Rhode Island, but only because I had friends there.

My question is: What do New Yorkers miss when they move to Vermont?
Moving is such a big step and I want to minimize the chances of making a mistake.

Also, what do New Yorkers decidedly not miss?

I know I can't generalize, because rural, town and city living in Vermont are different. Basically, I am interested in Brattleboro, but all comments are welcome.

I know I will miss the ocean and the racial and cultural diversity. I will miss hearing all the languages. I will miss the presence of world class dance and theater, although I don't go to them. I have an excellent veterinarian and I will miss him. I will miss Central Park. I will decidedly not miss the congestion, the rudeness, the awareness that, because of the congestion, I probably could not evacuate in the event of a disaster, such as a coastal storm. (My neighborhood is subject to evacuation in the event of a category 3 or higher hurricane.) And now, subway rides always involve awareness of possible terrorism. I haven't ridden the Staten Island Ferry for a while, but I'm sure the same things holds there. I will not miss the polluted air and water. I will not miss kayaking on Jamaica Bay and learning that the bay is contaminated with raw sewage. I will not miss the ugliness of urban blight, the smell of urine in apartment elevators and graffitti on apartment hall walls.

I both will and will not miss my anonymity in New York. In a small town, everyone knows you. That is great in terms of a sense of community, but it can be intrusive.

I am nourished by visual beauty, such as I have found in Vermont and New Hampshire. And I love the Vermont attitude. I love the New York attitude too, but I need a change from the negative aspects of it.

As my vet said, there is no place like New York. I agree. I am a dyed-in-the-wool New Yorker, in many ways. But I want to move to Vermont. I just don't want to feel dislocated and regret the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2006, 03:57 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,787,584 times
arel -

No point in sidestepping the issue - I'd miss the heck out of NYC if I lived in Brattleboro. That's not to run Brattleboro down. Brattleboro's terrific.

But in Burlington there's more on offer in terms of culture as well as all the rest (Lake Champlain, etc etc etc). And there's Montreal an hour and three quarters up the road.

I used to wish I lived in NYC. I used to visit regularly. I still go occasionally. But since I got to know Montreal, NYC is much less important to me. Now I spend as much time in Montreal and Quebec as possible. Montreal is much more exciting to me now, partly because of it's unique character, but partly because the things people love about major cities - are available to everybody in Montreal. It's also got the distinct neighborhoods, each with thier own specific charm, that NYC used to haven before the advent of the giant bookstores and Starbucks. In Montreal every group is in a minority in some way, and that lends the city a sense of excitement and enriches everyone I think.

In NYC I get the feeling I'm in an American city which happens to be one of the great cities of the world. In Montreal, I feel like I've gone to Europe for a dime on the dollar...

...but perhaps it's just me.

Old 10-10-2006, 04:30 PM

Montreal is on of my very favorite cities.

Old 10-10-2006, 04:46 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,268,649 times
I grew up in VT and lived in Boston for 5ish years after college. The one thing I miss most about Boston is the take-out/delivery food (I love to eat out/in!). If you get a craving for chinese food at 10pm, you're most likely out of luck! (except if you're in Burlington).

Old 10-10-2006, 05:09 PM

When I lived in a fairly remote area in Rhode Island (Great Island in Narragansett), I tried to order a take out delivery by phone. I was not feeling well and I did not want to leave the house. Either I did not want to cook or had nothing I wanted to prepare. Anyway, place after place I called said they did not deliver. Finally, I found a place where they agreed to deliver, until I told them where I lived.

In retrospect, this is strange, considering that there were several restaurants in Galilee, within walking distance. Maybe they didn't deliver, or maybe I did not think to call them.

In New York, even in southern Brooklyn, there are places that deliver until late in the evening and there are 24 hour restaurants.

I don't remember what I did for food that time. But I had food for thought.

Old 10-11-2006, 05:27 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,268,649 times
I have quite a few acquiantances who have moved up here from various cities, (Boston & DC to name a couple) and one of the things they say they miss is the "buzz" of the city. The lifestyle here is much slower. People generally are not in a rush whether it be on the roads, or in line at a store etc. I have a friend from Boston who comes up and gets all worked up at how "slow" we are at everything LOL.

Old 10-11-2006, 07:51 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,787,584 times
...I think he was (just) behind me on Rt 7 Tuesday morning.
(drumroll/cymbalcrash)

Old 10-11-2006, 10:47 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
As a former New Yorker, and a frequent visitor to both Bs (Brattleboro and Burlington) who lived in New England (RI, MA), I'd probably go for the smaller Brattleboro and get services not available in the surrounding area (Putney, etc. north, Northampton, etc., south).

Yup, now that I live in a town in the SW, I once more miss that unique feature of food delivery. I think the single delivery item here is pizza, and not good pizza at that. But I've more or less adjusted to this, and cook more, or do a better food shopping.

When I lived in RI (Providence) and Western MA, I don't remember missing anything much, but food choices. My partner and I (he is from Boston) had a Friday night lament of "where to eat" because we had both been spoiled with unlimited restaurant choices in our respective cities.

Brattleboro has a great food coop; and enough other stores to satisfy my shopping cravings.

After 10 years at a stretch in NYC, small town living has a great appeal, at least to me.

Old 10-12-2006, 11:09 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,962,187 times
My fiance and I are considering moving to VT (among other places) and we are both born and bred NYers. It's definitely a huge change no matter where you go, but most especially to smaller towns...To me, one of the biggest things is definitely the food. We have friends who moved to Denver and said the only thing that has been an adjustment is fewer restaurant options. NYC has a tremendous amount of places to eat, and there just isn't anywhere else in the world that can duplicate that. But as long as I have good sushi, I think I'd be alright. :-)

Old 10-12-2006, 02:00 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
Put a huge smile on my face.

The first time I had sushi here (NM) I thought I had about died and went the wrong way. Rubber! Yup, sure miss sushi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
My fiance and I are considering moving to VT (among other places) and we are both born and bred NYers. It's definitely a huge change no matter where you go, but most especially to smaller towns...To me, one of the biggest things is definitely the food. We have friends who moved to Denver and said the only thing that has been an adjustment is fewer restaurant options. NYC has a tremendous amount of places to eat, and there just isn't anywhere else in the world that can duplicate that. But as long as I have good sushi, I think I'd be alright. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont