Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 08:07 PM

81 posts, read 182,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
Your experience is not just a Vermont thing. As mentioned, moving to a rural state from a populated area is very difficult. When I moved here I wanted to come and the transition was not easy. I moved to a rural area as well and there were things I loved about it, but the things I didn't love far outweighed the likes. Everything you listed was on my list and then some. I had/have family here and my kids (one child) are still in the school system. It wouldn't be fair to uproot my child for my own benefit. I was much happier when I moved to the Burlington area because that's the kind of area that I grew up and was raised in. Life may get slightly better after your child, but I wouldn't rely on it changing much. You know what you want and what you like. If Vermont is not your cup of tea, get out before your child is established here. It sounds like Burlington is more to your liking than Brattleboro, but that's not a possibility unless your husband can move his job.
Well I'm glad there is at least some people out there like you who feel similar. I feel like I'm going crazy here. I haven't been to Burlington but it probably is better than boring putney. And unfortunately it isn't an option now because of my significant other. I swear I think Vermont and this general area is for a very specific group of people- ones who can't get enough of outdoor country activities, gardening, Eco friendly, co-ops, yoga, spinning, making maple syrup, swimming in 40 degree river water holes, freezing temperatures, yoga etc. Ugh it all gets old after a while. And yes the irony is that most of these people aren't even from Vermont. Sorry to go on a rant here....I'm just sick of hearing (from others) how wonderful Vermont is. Yes I'm sure it's a nice place to visit from time to time but that doesn't mean you want to live here permanently. Just because one enjoys the view of an old historic barn, doesn't mean living by one will complete your life.

Anyway I came on here to see if others agreed and if Keene for instance could be a better alternative. I didn't really get an answer on Keene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 08:12 AM

129 posts, read 234,495 times
Keene has a lot more going on than Putney. It has a Target, Starbucks, JC Penney... the kind of stores you're used to seeing in more business-friendly states. And it has a real downtown, unlike Putney. It's probably your best bet if relocating out of New England isn't an option right now.

Sounds like long term, New England isn't going to be your cup of tea (it's not mine either). But if you are stuck here in the meantime, I would definitely relocate to Keene, where you won't be so mind-numbingly bored.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:56 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,263,765 times
Sadhere-
I totally understand how you feel. I grew up in the Northeast Kingdom (the northeastern part of Vermont) which is very, very rural and isolating. As a child/teenager I didn't really mind it as I was busy with school and sports, but as an adult I really did not like and found that I was becoming depressed. I live near Burlington now so I have the best of both worlds-all the city-type amenities that the Burlington area offers yet I live in the country on 5 acres with no close neighbors! Could not be happier.
I would suggest that you and your husband take a drive up to the White River Junction/Hanover/Lebanon area-much more going on. Drive through the towns, check out neighborhoods and see if it is more your cup of tea. Also see if your husband could stand the commute.
I wish you the best of luck with your new baby and hope things improve for you soon!

Old 06-13-2013, 06:35 PM

81 posts, read 182,024 times
Thank you "amIlost" and "vter" for your replies. Makes me feel less alone in my thoughts for this area. We will explore the towns mentioned and spend some time there to get a good feeling.

It's possible we probably will relocate to Brattleboro as it seems to have some of the elements I'm looking for but I don't want to close the door on Keene or the others. I liked Keene even though it wasn't a huge place in terms f the downtown, but it seemed to have a cozy urban coffe shop with great coffee and I liked the set up of some of the other places there. It was very walkable and had a nice laid back vibe for what it was. But now I'm learning that making fast decisions is risky and not the safe thing to do. Once I get a car, I'm hoping it will change my outlook on everything. Maybe I just have cabin fever.

One more question....is it always this sporadically cool here during the late spring (close to summer)?? The weather really hasn't gotten that warm overall and now it seems it's been more cold out (to me it's cold) it's 56 degrees out right now....is this typical around here?? Really hope not.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:43 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,657,461 times
Sadhere . . .

I totally understand. I was so depressed when we first moved to VT I got meds for it. Really.
I think mine was for a few reasons not to unlike yours. When we looked at VT, we loved what we saw, but we looked in towns like Woodstock and Montpellier, Waitesfield to name a few. When my Wifes job offer from VT Dept of Ed came through, it was in Rutland. Rutland has "Rut" in it for a reason. Probably one of the most depressing places I have ever lived. Like the backdrop to a sad country western tune or something . . . To add to it, my jobs were the lowest of the low. We totally second guessed our move shortly after getting there. A family emergency helped our decision to move a few years later, but I was ready. It was not hard to pack up and go. I think if we stuck to our plan and moved to Burlington, Brattleboro or any of other towns we looked at, we would have stayed. I still love a lot of stuff about Vermont and would live there again, but it would have to be in retirement and not near Rutland.
Best wishes for your future.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:23 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
u dont want to start drinking.
so put that bottle of wine away!

lolz jk. .

I've been to Battleboro, so I know what you're taling about. Gurrl, all i can say is.... move up outta there quick,

Old 06-13-2013, 09:44 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Sadhere,

Can't help it...the song California Dreamin' pops into my mind when I read your posts.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:50 AM

216 posts, read 564,260 times
Sadhere.....

Feel really sorry for you. My wife and I have, and still are, experiencing the same feelings as you are. The only difference is we moved from Connecticut to Florida. You can take every word you have written and replace Vermont with Florida, and it would be our words exactly. As far as we are concerned, there really is "no place like home".

Old 06-26-2013, 10:26 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,191,037 times
Sadhere,

I hope you get a car and can get over the feeling of being trapped. Go explore, meet different people and I'm sure you will meet plenty as an expectant Mother and thus new Mother. Very difficult being surrounded by people you feel you have nothing in common with. I've been here 10 years and JUST in the last 2 weeks felt 100% at home. Many frustrations along the way which made me question, "why the hell did I come here?" But, time has proven my initial choice right on. I just had to grow into it.

Go explore your options of people/towns since you'll probably find a lot of people in the same position as you. We have a nice blend of locals/transplants which keeps it interesting and sometimes more tolerable.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:24 PM

66 posts, read 114,651 times
What about Bennington? I think Brattleboro has the hippy thing going on. I read the reviews of the Vermont Country Deli and Brattleboro Food Coop on yelp and there was lots of venting about these prices are too high and the food is too healthy. The photos of Bennington look not very pretty or rustic, but sort like a more average place. There are museums and galleries things to do there if you type in to do in Bennigton into the search engine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont