Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ps4 or xbox one
ps4 83 81.37%
xbox one 19 18.63%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 10:22 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,279,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
The PS4 is the ideal console for serious and casual gamers alike. First, its substantially lower price makes it more attainable for those on a budget (like most gamers who hate needlessly parting with their hard-earned money ). Second, the PS4 features a Blu-Ray player for movies and it can stream video for services like Netflix. Lastly, the PS4 also has a cam peripheral (sold separately, thank God) just in case that technology becomes acceptable; although given what we're finding out about the NSA on a weekly basis I don't see that happening.
Which means PS4 has a price advantage over Xbox One, which is a 20% difference without the PS4 Eye if you put that in there it falls to 8% that said the resolution of PS4 Eye is 1280x800, not 1920x1080 Kinect resolution.

Media wise, Sony screwed the pooch, Blu-ray isn't an advantage, XB1 has one too, NetFlix isn't an advantage it's on Live, services will be added as time progresses anyway. However where Sony screwed the pooch was media currently is exclusively from PSN, no MP3 support, no CD support, no DLNA support, there's rumors Sony may rectify this, but how long will it take? Given the only alternative is Sony subscription services it may be a while.

Now more on that pricing right here, if you wanted to use DNLA to use your home theater for media streaming (I can't comment about other people but my main Fronts cost $1000 per speaker cabinet, and my centers around $750 for front and rear center left and right) I'd like to use that clarity for more than hearing the dying screams of my enemies), how much do you think a decent DLNA receiver device would cost...? Well a DLNA Blu-Ray player is $80 (and about the cheapest you can buy that will act as a functional DLNA media receiver for audio and video that doesn't involve a monthly subscription), so right now if you used your PS3 as a DLNA box, but want to replace that with a PS4, and you want the camera, it's $399.99 for the PS4, $69.99 for the PS4 Eye, and $79.99 for the DLNA media receiver, the total is $549.99, or you could buy a Xbox One for $499.99. Now I dunno where you did math, but that is $50 more for the same functionality from a PS4 as you get from an Xbox One.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:29 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,908,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post

Now more on that pricing right here, if you wanted to use DNLA to use your home theater for media streaming (I can't comment about other people but my main Fronts cost $1000 per speaker cabinet, and my centers around $750 for front and rear center left and right) I'd like to use that clarity for more than hearing the dying screams of my enemies), how much do you think a decent DLNA receiver device would cost...? Well a DLNA Blu-Ray player is $80 (and about the cheapest you can buy that will act as a functional DLNA media receiver for audio and video that doesn't involve a monthly subscription), so right now if you used your PS3 as a DLNA box, but want to replace that with a PS4, and you want the camera, it's $399.99 for the PS4, $69.99 for the PS4 Eye, and $79.99 for the DLNA media receiver, the total is $549.99, or you could buy a Xbox One for $499.99. Now I dunno where you did math, but that is $50 more for the same functionality from a PS4 as you get from an Xbox One.
You are correct unless you just wanted a gaming machine then you are back to a hundred dollars difference. We already have a blu-ray player, why would I want another? Maybe some folks like to jump around and physically get involved with the game, I just want to sit there and play. If the Kinect is required to play, I'll skip it. Currently I have a 360, Next year sometime I'll spring for a PS4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 09:14 AM

3,953 posts, read 5,093,900 times
The Xbox One is a weird hybrid for people who still watch broadcast television. The PS4, on the other hand, is the choice for people who want a state-of-the-art gaming instrument.

The poll in this thread shows that overwhelmingly people prefer the PS4. This doesn't surprise me as Sony's latest console is more powerful, cost less and is becoming the global de facto standard in 8th generation console gaming.

I don't own a PS4 yet but I'm certainly going to get one to sit beside my other legitimate gaming console the Nintendo Wii U.

Old 12-15-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
The Xbox One is a weird hybrid for people who still watch broadcast television. The PS4, on the other hand, is the choice for people who want a state-of-the-art gaming instrument.

The poll in this thread shows that overwhelmingly people prefer the PS4. This doesn't surprise me as Sony's latest console is more powerful, cost less and is becoming the global de facto standard in 8th generation console gaming.

I don't own a PS4 yet but I'm certainly going to get one to sit beside my other legitimate gaming console the Nintendo Wii U.
All I can say about this posting is this...

Old 12-15-2013, 05:55 PM

35,087 posts, read 31,339,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Which means PS4 has a price advantage over Xbox One, which is a 20% difference without the PS4 Eye if you put that in there it falls to 8% that said the resolution of PS4 Eye is 1280x800, not 1920x1080 Kinect resolution.

Media wise, Sony screwed the pooch, Blu-ray isn't an advantage, XB1 has one too, NetFlix isn't an advantage it's on Live, services will be added as time progresses anyway. However where Sony screwed the pooch was media currently is exclusively from PSN, no MP3 support, no CD support, no DLNA support, there's rumors Sony may rectify this, but how long will it take? Given the only alternative is Sony subscription services it may be a while.

A family member of mine owns a structured cabling business and got into the AV world a few years ago. A lot of home theater systems over the last few years ended up with a PS3 at the core, even for nongamers. Sony was way ahead of their time on that and the PS3 is probably still the best option for media use.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Sony was way ahead of their time on that and the PS3 is probably still the best option for media use.
PS3, it's debatable between it and Xbox360, that said I don't disagree, but not the PS4, a multimedia network (which I have) isn't just what you can stream, but also what you can serve from your own storage. If I can't access say my purchased content on my subnet (Movies, TV shows, music etc.), it's of no use to me in that capacity. I could do that on a PS3, I could do that on an Xbox360, I can do that on an Xbox One, I cannot do that on a PS4, and that is a dealbreaker for me as a primary purchase. I don't mind the machine pinging home to confirm I'm the registered owner, I do mind it hogging my internet pipe downloading HD Video for something I have on my subnet while I'm watching local content I can hog my internet pipe doing something else like downloading a new movie. I'll get a PS4, but when there are titles that I'm interested in, and it most likely will, like my PS3, be used only for exclusives, even if subsequently they restore it to PS3 media capabilities, because by that time I'd be set up for using XB1 for accessing my content.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:32 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,605,486 times
I take back everything I've said in this thread about waiting on a next gen console.

I'm not a huge a gamer (I have a 360 with CoD:WaW and GTAV). I also own a PS3 but it's always been strictly a blue ray player... never been a fan of the controller or the game lineup. I also prefer XBox Live which beats PSN hands down. Since I no longer need the PS3 for movies it's now up on Ebay...

I bought the XBox One last night... with Dead Rising 3. I also bought Killer Instinct off the MS Store.

WOW.

Dead Rising 3 is SICK. It's like CoD Zombies on steroids! Want to attract zombies? Just yell at them via Kinect... LOL

Killer Instinct is wicked cool... I dumped so many quarters into this game back in the day... Uuuuuulllllllllllltttttttttttttttrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrraaaaaaaaaaaaa Cccccoooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmbbbbbbbbbbbbboooooo ooooooooooo!

The Kinect is nice. It's 10000 better than the 360 version. I got it set up last night and set up my Comcast cable to run through it as well. It's nicely done for sure... the voice commands are rock solid. I was changing channels and browsing as well as controlling my TV with the XBox voice commands.

Everything looks great so far... graphics are incredible. I played the Forza 5 demo and it looks breathtaking.

P.S. The only thing the poll represents is the fact there are more Sony fanbois on City Data than Microsoft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
This is how I'm seeing the two consoles. Both offer no backward compatibility,

1) PS4 - seems more geared toward pure gaming, $100 cheaper, offers "lite" media capability, more social integration.

2) XB1 - gaming with additional media capabilities, more expensive, less social integration, voice commands and video chat built in, probably more future proof and more headroom with software upgrades.

I like being able to turn my Xbox on and watch ESPN with nothing voice commands from my computer desk. I keep my TV/receiver remotes on my desk and speak the rest of the commands to the Xbox. Yes, I do need to get out the controller to navigate within apps, etc, but it's much better than the original Kinect. I think the Xbox One is going to be way, way more useful in the future than the PS4 - just give the software a chance to mature.
I agree.

Last edited by Kees; 12-16-2013 at 08:48 AM.. Reason: ...added quote

Old 12-16-2013, 10:10 AM

Interesting, Kees is in Seattle, Washington home of Microsoft's headquarters.

By the way, I voted for the PS4 in the poll and I'm anything but a Sony fanboy. I didn't purchase a PS3 because it was so overpriced at launch that I got my Xbox 360 and Wii for a comparable price. The Xbox 360/Wii combo represented better value and gave me access to all the titles I wanted to play.

This time around the PS4/Wii U combo is making more sense although if you like watching television more than playing video games the XB1 might just be for you.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:54 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,605,486 times
Quote:
Interesting, Kees is in Seattle, Washington home of Microsoft's headquarters.

By the way, I voted for the PS4 in the poll and I'm anything but a Sony fanboy. I didn't purchase a PS3 because it was so overpriced at launch that I got my Xbox 360 and Wii for a comparable price. The Xbox 360/Wii combo represented better value and gave me access to all the titles I wanted to play.

This time around the PS4/Wii U combo is making more sense although if you like watching television more than playing video games the XB1 might just be for you.
I don't buy it. I watch TV and play games. What's wrong with a console that integrates both? You think I bought a One just so I can say "XBox watch NFL Network?"

I didn't... But it does it so why not take advantage?

Did I mention Dead Rising 3 and Killer Instinct are absolutely SICK?

As far as the prices... Yeah it's $100 more... With a much improved Kinect... Night and day actually. Regarding the hardware... Yeah PS4 has slightly better specs but as said I've never cared for the controller or game lineup so the specs are moot. It's not like we are in 1998 where choosing between a Pentium 100 and 166 was a really tough decision. Hardware is way too advanced now for me to be that concerned.

I even sold my Wii U. Just didn't play it. My ex gave me $275 for the system and Mario U. That's basically current retail price so I made out good. May get another one down the road... Didn't dislike it just didn't play it enough and with the One I know I'll be busy for a while too... And I still have GTAV on 360.

I agree with the other poster... Long term I think XBox One will be more useful.

BTW... I work for Boeing... Not Microsoft.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:37 PM

I'm a serous gamer so I'm well aware of Killer Instinct for the Xbox One. While the game may seem exciting at first blush, interest in it is already dying off. First, it's a franchise that's always excelled at style over substance and since the newest title only runs at 720p it somewhat fails to live up to the hype of a "next gen" console. Also, Microsoft's idiotic marketing strategy means that everybody is playing the same character, Jago, which is even more tiresome than the constant shoto brigade that one finds in on-line Street Fighter IV matches. Lastly, since Xbox 360 fight sticks aren't compatible with the Xbox One many people are finding the new KI a chore to play with the standard controller. Ultimately, the new KI is just a superficial thrill which is emblematic of the entire XB1 experience, in my humble opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games