Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ps4 or xbox one
ps4 83 81.37%
xbox one 19 18.63%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 10:00 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,504,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
12.5%?

Good post... I agree about the long term potential. I'm just not buying the PS4 hype. I'm anxious to see where Microsoft goes with the One... I've only had mine 2 days and love it. The Kinect is miles above the 360 version and that just makes the system even more awesome. I'll admit I had my doubts until I saw it in action..
As of right now the ps4 does have an advantage. There are several games running in a higher resolution on the ps4 than on the xbox one.

I think the main issue is that people just don't trust Microsoft. A lot of 360 fans were happy at first until the kinect came out then Microsoft's focus changed and their first party offering dwindled. You guys were pretty much getting Forza, Gears of War games and Halo. I know several people who jumped over to the ps3 for that reason alone and i personally don't know anyone who went from the ps3 to the xbox. Those gamers still have a sour taste in their mouth from Microsoft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 10:41 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,601,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
As of right now the ps4 does have an advantage. There are several games running in a higher resolution on the ps4 than on the xbox one.

I think the main issue is that people just don't trust Microsoft. A lot of 360 fans were happy at first until the kinect came out then Microsoft's focus changed and their first party offering dwindled. You guys were pretty much getting Forza, Gears of War games and Halo. I know several people who jumped over to the ps3 for that reason alone and i personally don't know anyone who went from the ps3 to the xbox. Those gamers still have a sour taste in their mouth from Microsoft.
What advantage? What games? Don't both consoles support 1080p - 4k? I play Dead Rising 3 and Forza 5 on my 1080p Panasonic plasma and the visuals are stunning. Period.

Do PS gamers have a sour taste for Sony regarding the big PSN network leak where 77 million user accounts were exposed to hackers?

Old 12-18-2013, 11:49 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,504,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
What advantage? What games? Don't both consoles support 1080p - 4k? I play Dead Rising 3 and Forza 5 on my 1080p Panasonic plasma and the visuals are stunning. Period.

Do PS gamers have a sour taste for Sony regarding the big PSN network leak where 77 million user accounts were exposed to hackers?
What advantage lol? Call of Duty Ghosts, Battlefield 4, and Assassins Creed are all sub 1080p on the Xbox One. Dead Rising 3 and Ryse (exclusive games) are sub 1080p as well. The only game not 1080p (native) on the ps4 is Battlefield 4. That is a big advantage.

People that I know personally were not upset a the PSN leak. They were mad that they couldnt play online but know one traded in their systems.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
What advantage lol? Call of Duty Ghosts, Battlefield 4, and Assassins Creed are all sub 1080p on the Xbox One. Dead Rising 3 and Ryse (exclusive games) are sub 1080p as well. The only game not 1080p (native) on the ps4 is Battlefield 4. That is a big advantage.
Why is Dead Rising 3 Running at 720p, 30fps? - IGN

I was wondering why my TV said 1080p... Yay for upscaling?

Regardless... it's beautiful and I'm happy. Forza 5 is even better looking.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:46 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,271,240 times
Objectively each system can do something the other can't. The PS4 has audio through the controller, and to me, is something I probably won't be able to live with out.

The PS4 also has a speaker, touchpad and light which will be able to do certain things the XBO can't.

The PS4 can also remote play with a PSVita. (Something which I am strongly considering getting.) (Also, I don't know if smartglass will be able to do this).

---

The XBO can do voice commands (the PS4 can too) and all of the cool Kinect (infrared and heartbeat) and TV stuff. It has feedback rumble in the triggers (which is cool) and "cloud computing" which is yet to be tested.

So with the XBO you have a solid foundation, but are also seeing which one of these technologies stick. To see if these things improve, or if they even hold up.

---

On the argument about power: The PS4 is more powerful. Is it vastly so? No. Is it a selling point...maybe. Assuming devs just frak'ed up and couldn't optimize at launch, despite Forza looking awesome then that could mean a couple of things. That the XBO is less powerful, and/or it isn't as easy for third party devs to develop for right now.

Assuming both are x86 the XBO might come around to PS4 levels of graphics. But IMO that's a big "might." However I don't see this as a cut and dry PS3 debacle. I'd still give a slight edge to the PS4 years down the road.

---

For the PS4, subjectively I'm banking on hope. (Assuming I don't pick up a XBO...I probably will). The hope that the quality of games at the latter part of the PS3s life carries over to the PS4. The hope that the Gaikai streaming service exists (which might be vaporware), the hope that Japanese developers get their groove back and that indie and third party devs favor the PS4, which other than Titanfall, looks to be the case.

On a side note: Other than the RROD, which should have been disastrous but wasn't to MS, the 360 did very well. XBL was awesome and it got most of the good third party titles and some killer exclusives, like Gears of War.

I bought a 360 for Gears, then Mass Effect and Dragon Age and all of the other "timed-exclusives" because of devs having a hard time porting to the PS3. But I don't see this happening this generation. In fact if there's still a graphics gap then it might be the other way around.

---

In the end is one better than the other? It's too early to tell. And I really think this is the closest system battle we've had since SNES and SEGA Genesis.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:19 PM

I'll admit that I was a little concerned about leaving my XB1 powered on all the time either while watching TV or in standby mode...

Xbox One is built to last for 10 years while powered on, sources say | ExtremeTech

Now, not so much. I'm glad MS learned from the 360 RROD and engineering this thing to run super cool...

Old 12-20-2013, 08:19 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,086,255 times
PS4 owners more satisfied than Xbox One owners - GameSpot

Quote:
PlayStation 4 owners have indicated they are more satisfied with their new console purchase than Xbox One owners.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
8.71 to 8.20 on a scale of 10.... The difference is probably those who are happy happy joy joy about spending $100 less on their PS4 Not a big enough gap to make me return my XB1.

I'll most likely buy a PS4 sometime in 2014... no huge rush but I'm one of those "gotta have the cool stuff" type of guys...

In the meantime though... just spent $280 on Mad Catz Killer Instinct Arcade FightStick for Xbox One Review - IGN... not a huge increase over the $200 retail since I got free shipping.

Had to have it... it's the only way you can effectively play Killer Instinct. Controllers just don't work.

Ullllllttrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaa Cccccoooooommmmmmmbbbooooooo! Eat your hearts out PS4 owners.

Killer Instinct 84-Hit Ultra Combo - 720p 60 fps Gameplay - YouTube

Old 12-20-2013, 09:29 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,086,255 times
I so desperately wanted to like the new Killer Instinct but the inclusion of just 6 characters to date, and the Free to Play model seem to have ruined the game's potential. Sadly, the serious fighting game community is ignoring KI which was to be expected given the fact that Japanese gamers never purchase Microsoft consoles en mass.

With respect to the $100 difference between the Xbox One and the PS4, I view that as nearly an insurmountable hurdle for the XB1 to overcome. Generally gamers are very price conscious as proven by the fact that the PS3 and Xbox 360 are both still selling rather well in the sub 200 dollar range.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
I so desperately wanted to like the new Killer Instinct but the inclusion of just 6 characters to date, and the Free to Play model seem to have ruined the game's potential. Sadly, the serious fighting game community is ignoring KI which was to be expected given the fact that Japanese gamers never purchase Microsoft consoles en mass.
Yes it definitely could have been better... but when it's all you have what can you do? I'm 100% casual and the game will give me many hours of entertainment once I get back into the groove. It's been 20 years since I played the arcade version.

6 characters with Spinal and Fulgore to come... Spinal was the character I played back in the day. For now probably Sabrewulf... thought about trying Orchid too.

It's not perfect, but for $40 I bought it. The arcade stick was a must have but it's a solid investment so I am fine with it.

Quote:
With respect to the $100 difference between the Xbox One and the PS4, I view that as nearly an insurmountable hurdle for the XB1 to overcome. Generally gamers are very price conscious as proven by the fact that the PS3 and Xbox 360 are both still selling rather well in the sub 200 dollar range.
Yes they are... sold my PS3 the other day for $205... and the Xbox 360 last night for $220. Gotta love Ebay. As for as the price difference... I am fine with the extra $100. It's not like I didn't get anything for it. I got Kinect plus the "all in one entertainment" that the console was designed for.

Nothing against Sony at all... I played games on my 360 and didn't use the PS3 for anything but BR movies. Now that the XB1 has that functionality I didn't have a use for the PS3... but as said will probably get a PS4 in the coming months. Gotta have all the cool toys...

Quote:
I so desperately wanted to like the new Killer Instinct

Official Killer Instinct Fight Stick from MadCatz - YouTube

The stick is gonna be wicked! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games