Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 08:15 PM

24 posts, read 95,880 times

Advertisements

I'm particularly referring to Gaithersburg and Rockville.

So I've just moved to the area, Washingtonian Center in fact, to be within negligible commuting distance to my new job in Gaithersburg. Overall, I'm very pleased with my neighborhood, and impressed, in general, with the surrounding area.

However, my main gripe is over the lack of nightlife here. I've been to most of the centers of activity here -- Washingtonian/Rio Center, "downtown" Kentlands, Old Towne G-Burg, Rockville Town Square -- all of which have varying degrees of good shops, restaraunts, people watching, live music, etc. But there is literally no real bar or anything (excluding Growlers) that is open til 2am. Being at the heart of the I-270 technology corridor, I know there is a whole slew of young people fresh from college and grad school finding great jobs around here (you can tell too just by reading all the new threads posted on this forum!), so it seems curious that everyone has to move out to Washington or Frederick to be around similarly aged and like-minded people looking for a decent nightlife. Unfortunetly, for those of us that have chosen to live close to work, we have to truck ourselves down to Bethesda/Northwest DC to find any action. Why is that? Is the market not there for it yet? Perhaps I'm just missing the bar hopping culture in my home city?

I AM still new to the neighborhood, so if you have any good reccomendations for me out there in the area, let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 02:34 PM

499 posts, read 668,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowellian View Post
I'm particularly referring to Gaithersburg and Rockville.

So I've just moved to the area, Washingtonian Center in fact, to be within negligible commuting distance to my new job in Gaithersburg. Overall, I'm very pleased with my neighborhood, and impressed, in general, with the surrounding area.

However, my main gripe is over the lack of nightlife here. I've been to most of the centers of activity here -- Washingtonian/Rio Center, "downtown" Kentlands, Old Towne G-Burg, Rockville Town Square -- all of which have varying degrees of good shops, restaraunts, people watching, live music, etc. But there is literally no real bar or anything (excluding Growlers) that is open til 2am. Being at the heart of the I-270 technology corridor, I know there is a whole slew of young people fresh from college and grad school finding great jobs around here (you can tell too just by reading all the new threads posted on this forum!), so it seems curious that everyone has to move out to Washington or Frederick to be around similarly aged and like-minded people looking for a decent nightlife. Unfortunetly, for those of us that have chosen to live close to work, we have to truck ourselves down to Bethesda/Northwest DC to find any action. Why is that? Is the market not there for it yet? Perhaps I'm just missing the bar hopping culture in my home city?

I AM still new to the neighborhood, so if you have any good reccomendations for me out there in the area, let me know!

The county government kills it. They are obsessed with making everything family oriented even the urban areas like Silver Spring and Bethesda.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:00 PM

961 posts, read 2,026,976 times
Bethesda has bars that are open after midnight, there's plenty of bars in bethesda.

THere may be a lounge or a club or two I think.

Rockville and Gaithersburg I don't know.

Keep in mind though though we ARE talking about suburbs here.

If by upcounty you mean northern silver spring, olney, et. al then I concur. Germantown I can't say as I don't know.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:26 AM

1,312 posts, read 4,776,616 times
Montgomery County has a law that states that at least 50% of an establishment's revenue must come from food, not alcohol. There are huge fines when the books are checked, which I believe must occur monthly. It is a huge deterrent and therefore is the cause of the lack of real bars in MoCo--especially upcounty where it was mostly rural, like Germantown. 20 years ago Germantown was farm country.

Montgomery County, MD - Board of Liquor License Commissioners
You can read it right here under Beer, Wine and Liquor Licenses.

This is the most recent violations report I could find, from March 2010. http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/co...tions03-10.pdf
There are no violations for the ratio so i wonder what the fine is? Read the legend at the end...not only can you be fined for going over the ratio, you can get fined for not turning in your paperwork to prove your ratio.

It's big difference even from the rest of MD which doesn't have such a dumb law.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:34 PM

941 posts, read 3,912,199 times
You're kidding, right? Looking for nightlife in the suburbs?

Why didn't you just move to DC?

Old 08-31-2010, 03:57 PM

24 posts, read 95,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
You're kidding, right? Looking for nightlife in the suburbs?

Why didn't you just move to DC?
Well I guess those ordinances might explain it. Coming from metro Boston, there was still plenty of pubs and bars out in the suburbs and small cities surrounding the big city. But then again, MA doesn't have these crazy county governments. The Gaithersburg/Rockville area is the equivalent of a smaller city outside of downtown DC (not any different than Bethesda). I didn't move to DC because it's too expensive! I also didn't move out to G-Burg expecting any crazy nightlife or anything, just surprised that there is almost literally nothing.

With the big medical city that they are building here soon, something might change who knows.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:33 PM

512 posts, read 1,636,501 times
Well I could only suggest Bethesda and Silver Spring. There downtowns are more established and have bars and eateries galore. The Rest of Montgomery County is not going to be dedicated to the young and the restless. It's all about family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowellian View Post
Well I guess those ordinances might explain it. Coming from metro Boston, there was still plenty of pubs and bars out in the suburbs and small cities surrounding the big city. But then again, MA doesn't have these crazy county governments. The Gaithersburg/Rockville area is the equivalent of a smaller city outside of downtown DC (not any different than Bethesda). I didn't move to DC because it's too expensive! I also didn't move out to G-Burg expecting any crazy nightlife or anything, just surprised that there is almost literally nothing.

With the big medical city that they are building here soon, something might change who knows.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:22 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,241,461 times
For a "liberal" place, Montgomery County is very anti alcohol. I bet they cannot wait until Hank Dietle's finally closes. It's the only bar bar in the entire county...

Plus they have a monopoly on the sale of alcohol as well, and control and severely limit the sale of beer/wine in grocery stores.

It's such a nanny state I left and moved to VA.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:39 PM

512 posts, read 1,636,501 times
You must run a business, this can't be because of Alcohol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
For a "liberal" place, Montgomery County is very anti alcohol. I bet they cannot wait until Hank Dietle's finally closes. It's the only bar bar in the entire county...

Plus they have a monopoly on the sale of alcohol as well, and control and severely limit the sale of beer/wine in grocery stores.

It's such a nanny state I left and moved to VA.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:37 AM

282 posts, read 873,470 times
How about JJ Muldoon's? I don't recall how late they're open, but if you start early enough...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland