Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2011, 03:43 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,403,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
What do you want me to say? People do not always live near their jobs. These developments might make more do so, but overall people are going to live where they want. I'm not against new highways. I want a new bridge over the Potomac. I want 270 widened between Germantown and Frederick by at least one lane. There's more, but... I actually agree with some things that you post. Like, for instance, your second paragraph above. It is embarrassing. MD does need to do something to attract the jobs to MD. Is that a reason to oppose all of these plans they're coming up with? I'm not sure about that. Don't you want MD to do something?
It is one thing to promote Mixed-Use Development in the Truest Definition BUT itss a form of Idiotic Corruption to Support anti-Malls to the point of Destroying Upscale/Potential Upscale Enclosed Malls just to be replaced with Residential Buildings and limited retail...

I don't care what anyone says that is a recipe for economic Failure or else they would be Buldozing Tysons Corner, Pentagon , City Fir Oaks,a nd Dulles Town Centre.....

I strongly believe that their main goal/purpose to Demolish every enclosed shopping mall in Montgomery County is to Benefit Economic and Business Growth Virginia because thats where ALL of Suburban Maryland Retail Shoppers will spend there money at if they go along with the Communist Bull S--- that the so-called "smart-growth" Fascists want to Force Upon the state of Maryland..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
Some reason I got redirected back to this thread and came across this. I see your point but there's a difference between what you prefer and what's actually happening. Sooner of later, you're going to lose that quietness if developers continue to build illogically in the middle of nowhere.

The whole point is that existing centers should get first priority not people who choose to live far away. I'm not talking about just major cities but city/town limits in the suburbs as well. Say here's Columbia for example, you should focus on developing in Columbia not outside of it or along the outskirts by utilizing land close as possible to core of the town.

You may not find waterfronts attractive but many people come from the suburbs to view them and I'm not

I tell you everything that's wrong with cul de sacs. I hate the feeling of one way in, one way out especially when there's another road on the other side. I have to go all the way around to get to the other side. This forces everyone to use one road going in all different directions.

Grocery shopping? you lost me at Wal-Mart.

Personally, there's nothing wrong with a suburban mall itself but what surrounds it is the problem. It's nothing but asphalt used for a parking lot. Seems like a waste of space to me. As for White Flint Mall, that mall sucks and its empty most of the time.

You prefer 270 over Metro.....okay and I doubt that anyone can get from Frederick to Baltimore being how I-70 ends abruptly going from 3 lanes to 1 on a congested 695.
Development Spreads out from Arlington/Alexandria to Leesburg/Gainsville they are rewarded with an Extended Highway(Dulles Greenway and I-66 Widening), Extended Retail Shopping(Dulles Town Centre and Retail Expansions of Tysons Corner), and Extended Subway System towards Leesburg....

Develop gets limited to Germantown/Clarksburg and they are rewarded with no Retail Expansions, proposals to demolish existing Malls, No efforts to Expand Office Growth higher than residential growth, political efforts to sabotage plans to widen I-270, No Plans of Subway Expansions but are carelessly pushing to build less desirable transit of Trolley-like Light Rails or Busways.......

Old 12-18-2011, 10:08 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,765,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
It is one thing to promote Mixed-Use Development in the Truest Definition BUT itss a form of Idiotic Corruption to Support anti-Malls to the point of Destroying Upscale/Potential Upscale Enclosed Malls just to be replaced with Residential Buildings and limited retail...

I don't care what anyone says that is a recipe for economic Failure or else they would be Buldozing Tysons Corner, Pentagon , City Fir Oaks,a nd Dulles Town Centre.....

I strongly believe that their main goal/purpose to Demolish every enclosed shopping mall in Montgomery County is to Benefit Economic and Business Growth Virginia because thats where ALL of Suburban Maryland Retail Shoppers will spend there money at if they go along with the Communist Bull S--- that the so-called "smart-growth" Fascists want to Force Upon the state of Maryland..........
I don't know how old you are $mk8795 but things change. Ask your grandparents what it was like when they were kids if they are still living. If not, ask a senior citizen you may know. The world does not wait for people and remain stagnant so you can enjoy the memories of yesteryear. You need to remember that before the 1960's, there were no malls. Suburbanization lead to the rise of the shopping mall. Well the suburbs are beginning to die nationwide and the exodus back into the city is beginning. The bustling downtown streets of shopping and storefronts is returning. The whole country is migrating back into the city and shopping malls are adapting. Malls all over the country are converting to urban mixed use boulevards.

This is an article written about the future of shopping in this country....

"Development of new malls has almost completely stopped, with only two being erected in the country since the beginning of 2009, according to the International Council of Shopping Centers.

Outdoor town center concepts, featuring brick sidewalks, streetlights and even public clocks evoking the Main Street of yore, are climbing to a degree that many owners of enclosed malls are considering dramatic makeovers, some including plans to tear off the roof of, or “de-mall” enclosed shopping centers."

Main Street making a comeback at the expense of the shopping mall - The Washington Post

Old 12-18-2011, 11:00 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,686 times
Quote:
Development Spreads out from Arlington/Alexandria to Leesburg/Gainsville they are rewarded with an Extended Highway(Dulles Greenway and I-66 Widening), Extended Retail Shopping(Dulles Town Centre and Retail Expansions of Tysons Corner), and Extended Subway System towards Leesburg....

Develop gets limited to Germantown/Clarksburg and they are rewarded with no Retail Expansions, proposals to demolish existing Malls, No efforts to Expand Office Growth higher than residential growth, political efforts to sabotage plans to widen I-270, No Plans of Subway Expansions but are carelessly pushing to build less desirable transit of Trolley-like Light Rails or Busways.......
It's all about quality of life. Maryland doesn't want to continuously spread out development..it will turn into a never ending cycle. Maryland plans on controlling their growth. If Dulles didn't exist, Metro wouldn't be extended out to Ashburn. People have a difficult time now getting to the West Falls Church Station. Tysons Corner is actually benefiting from the Metro more than any other area along the corridor. Tysons is actually trying to create transit oriented development. Maryland officials are opened to a Green Line expansion to BWI.

Plan for Metro to BWI Gaining Momentum

http://www.mdot.maryland.gov/Plannin...ch_Summary.pdf

I-270 was widened once and made the traffic worst than it originally was. You think widening I-66 will help and who uses the Greenway?

I'm not interested in another Waldorf or Woodbridge.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:16 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:

Why would Marylanders want to help NoVa?

I do agree, though. I do not think we should be demolishing malls.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:11 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Why would Marylanders want to help NoVa?

I do agree, though. I do not think we should be demolishing malls.
So you don't think they should have demolished Landover Mall or go with the plan to demolish Owings Mill?

White Flint Mall is a ghost town. If more people go to Westfield than White Flint, then what's the point of keeping it?

Old 12-19-2011, 03:53 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
So you don't think they should have demolished Landover Mall or go with the plan to demolish Owings Mill?

White Flint Mall is a ghost town. If more people go to Westfield than White Flint, then what's the point of keeping it?
Landover Mall needed to go. There was nothing worth saving there. I don't know about White Flint so I can't comment on that. Same with Owings Mill. Lakeforest, however, seems to be pretty good to me. It shouldn't be demolished. That's my opinion. That's all.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I don't know how old you are $mk8795 but things change. Ask your grandparents what it was like when they were kids if they are still living. If not, ask a senior citizen you may know. The world does not wait for people and remain stagnant so you can enjoy the memories of yesteryear. You need to remember that before the 1960's, there were no malls. Suburbanization lead to the rise of the shopping mall. Well the suburbs are beginning to die nationwide and the exodus back into the city is beginning. The bustling downtown streets of shopping and storefronts is returning. The whole country is migrating back into the city and shopping malls are adapting. Malls all over the country are converting to urban mixed use boulevards.

This is an article written about the future of shopping in this country....

"Development of new malls has almost completely stopped, with only two being erected in the country since the beginning of 2009, according to the International Council of Shopping Centers.

Outdoor town center concepts, featuring brick sidewalks, streetlights and even public clocks evoking the Main Street of yore, are climbing to a degree that many owners of enclosed malls are considering dramatic makeovers, some including plans to tear off the roof of, or “de-mall” enclosed shopping centers."

Main Street making a comeback at the expense of the shopping mall - The Washington Post
I sure as Hell don't know of any Future Plans to Demolish Tysons Corner I & II, Fair Oaks Mall, Dulles Town Centre, and Pentagon City Mall......

HELL there are no plans for removing the Crystal City Underground and most of the Federal Government has relocated from Crystal City...........

Old 12-19-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
It's all about quality of life. Maryland doesn't want to continuously spread out development..it will turn into a never ending cycle.
Right because you would rather the "never ending" cycle to remailn in Northern Virginia while Maryland continues to lose Business and Economic Growth in your hopes of Population decreasing.........

Quote:
Maryland plans on controlling their growth. If Dulles didn't exist, Metro wouldn't be extended out to Ashburn. People have a difficult time now getting to the West Falls Church Station. Tysons Corner is actually benefiting from the Metro more than any other area along the corridor. Tysons is actually trying to create transit oriented development. Maryland officials are opened to a Green Line expansion to BWI.
Only a bunch of Maryland Hating folks from across the river would support damaging Maryland's Business and Economic Growth by supporting anti-Growth while secretly supporting More Sprawl and Business Growth and Economic Wealth for Northern Virginia.........

Old News with no ground breaking of a Subway connection in the near future......

But nice try though........

Quote:
I-270 was widened once and made the traffic worst than it originally was. You think widening I-66 will help and who uses the Greenway?
When in doubt play the age old Game of Delusion of Grandeur....

Quote:
I'm not interested in another Waldorf or Woodbridge.
Right because you would hate for Maryland to beat out Virginia for Job Growth, better Highway Growth, Rapid Transit, Upscale Retail Business, and Economic Wealth.....

Old 12-19-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Anyonwe that has common sense, psychologically sane, and not filled with hatred agenda would not support demolishing of Upscale Shopping Malls.....

Quote:
Again when in Doubt play the grand old game of Delusion of Grandeur........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland