Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 10:17 AM

182 posts, read 477,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Artifice View Post
Thanks for that info. I wasnt aware that some of the towns in PG had their own crime stats available. I was looking at the site that had PG county's rates as a whole
I think most of the towns do have their crime statistics available somewhere online if you have the patience to look for them. They won't all listed in the same format, but they're out there. For example, some cities show their various crimes on an interactive map with markers.

You can also always go to the official page for the police department of the city you're interested in. A lot of police departments put out Annual Reports which will detail everything you want to know in terms of crime for that area.

Just keep in mind that the statistics you run across may only apply to the official city limits. For example, the area "known" as Laurel is pretty large, stretches across three counties and has numerous zip codes. However the official city limits of Laurel (the incoporated part of Laurel) excludes many areas such as Savage, Montpelier, Russett, Maryland City, Scaggsville and Whiskey Bottom. Does the link to the Laurel crime stats that I sent you include these areas? I seriously doubt it. Saying all that to say, if you want a complete picture, look at both city and county crime stats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 01:56 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,574,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSmooth View Post
I currently live in the PG County part of Laurel (the 20708 part that pgtitans refers to) and it's not that bad at all in terms of crime. Let me rephrase, I feel comfortable here and I've never been a victim of crime for the 31 years that I've lived here Yes, Laurel has some seedy areas, but I wouldn't categorize it as "unsafe".

See what I mean The Artifice? Best to stick with the numbers. You'll get a wide range of opinions from a forum on crime. Perhaps only those persons who actually live in the cities, towns, or neighborhoods should provide feedback.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:53 PM

10 posts, read 23,235 times
Laurel aint no where near dangerous or bad tf you talking about lol thats by far one of the safest cities in pg county

Old 01-05-2015, 02:12 PM

631 posts, read 1,396,724 times
I can provide some feedback as I work or live the listed areas::

Largo has maybe ONE bad area which is limited to the apartments off Harry S Truman Drive and Campus Way South near PG College. Other than that it is a quiet area. I work in Largo

Bowie has maybe ONE or 2 bad areas which is Pointer Ridge, Bowie Town Center, those townhomes near Tasker, and I heard Belair Town. Its, still safe and quiet. It had a few murders the past few years, but its mainly property crimes ( I have clients that live in Bowie)

Laurel has maybe one or 2, the ones on Contee Road (Arden Pointe) and It used to be Montpelier Crossing. Its stills safe and quiet as well. Few murders in the past few years, but its mainly property crimes. (I work in Laurel).

Not to mention the race card, but Laurel and Bowie have the County's White population residing there as well since they border another town/county. (Laurel-Columbia, Bowie-Crofton)
People will dog the towns in PG based on the schools. But if you dont have any school aged kids, then you should be fine.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:26 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,725,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post
I can provide some feedback as I work or live the listed areas::

Largo has maybe ONE bad area which is limited to the apartments off Harry S Truman Drive and Campus Way South near PG College. Other than that it is a quiet area. I work in Largo

Bowie has maybe ONE or 2 bad areas which is Pointer Ridge, Bowie Town Center, those townhomes near Tasker, and I heard Belair Town. Its, still safe and quiet. It had a few murders the past few years, but its mainly property crimes ( I have clients that live in Bowie)

Laurel has maybe one or 2, the ones on Contee Road (Arden Pointe) and It used to be Montpelier Crossing. Its stills safe and quiet as well. Few murders in the past few years, but its mainly property crimes. (I work in Laurel).

Not to mention the race card, but Laurel and Bowie have the County's White population residing there as well since they border another town/county. (Laurel-Columbia, Bowie-Crofton)
People will dog the towns in PG based on the schools. But if you dont have any school aged kids, then you should be fine.
I never got the impression of Bowie Town Center being unsafe-- not challenging you, but could you expound? Wondering if I haven't been there often enough.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:13 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,079,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Artifice View Post
Do you know anything about Hyattsville? I hear mixed things about it. As I said.
Hyattsville has different parts. The official incorporated city of Hyattsville near U.S. Route 1, has big older, detached historic homes, and popular hangouts such as "Busboys and Poets" (a cafe named after the poet Paul Dunbar, which attracts an intellectual, artistic crowd) and "Franklin's" (a very busy, popular restaurant combined with a toy and novelty store) and there have also been efforts to promote Route 1 as an "arts district" or artist studio zone. Up through the 1950s/ 60s, Hyattsville was arguably the most important and dominant community in all of PG County and included many County government offices.

The West (un-incorporated) part of Hyattsville, on the other hand, has older garden apartments and a mixture of Hispanics from Central America, and African Americans. Langley Park is also heavily Hispanic, which is reflected in the local shopping center. Maybe someone else here can elaborate better than I, on this.

PG County has, I think over 20 incorporated municipalities with their own mayors, police, and sanitary services- most of these towns are located inside the Beltway, and are shaded "yellow" on paper maps.

Last edited by slowlane3; 01-05-2015 at 09:31 PM..

Old 01-06-2015, 06:28 AM

469 posts, read 550,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
I never got the impression of Bowie Town Center being unsafe-- not challenging you, but could you expound? Wondering if I haven't been there often enough.
Because it is safe lol. People definition of Unsafe is kinda weird in these forums. There has been some crime here or there...mostly a couple of years ago when PG crime was at an all time high. But that was anomaly even for PG standards. I've read threads where people even call Annapolis Mall unsafe now...apparently there have been a lot of car break in & thefts recently over there. I think people questioning the townhouses and apartments that surround the area...they seem to rent out to section 8

Old 01-06-2015, 06:54 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,990,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mos82 View Post
Because it is safe lol. People definition of Unsafe is kinda weird in these forums. There has been some crime here or there...mostly a couple of years ago when PG crime was at an all time high. But that was anomaly even for PG standards. I've read threads where people even call Annapolis Mall unsafe now...apparently there have been a lot of car break in & thefts recently over there. I think people questioning the townhouses and apartments that surround the area...they seem to rent out to section 8
Crime is always relative to that person. When someone asks on this forum how safe an area is, you will always get varied answers.

As far as Annapolis, it definitely has seedy parts around that mall but Annapolis has a lot of mixture of good and bad spots in general, so it's not surprising.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:50 AM

673 posts, read 1,188,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
Crime is always relative to that person. When someone asks on this forum how safe an area is, you will always get varied answers.

As far as Annapolis, it definitely has seedy parts around that mall but Annapolis has a lot of mixture of good and bad spots in general, so it's not surprising.
Where around the mall is Annapolis seedy? Only the housing projects is where Annapolis can pretty get seedy, and there often isolated from the rest of the community. Robinwood, Newtown 20, Eastport, and Clay Street are perfect examples.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:04 AM

712 posts, read 1,093,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
I don't think he's saying that BTC isn't safe. BTC does have thefts from stores and property crimes, but like EducatedBro said in his post, it's still safe and quiet. I've never seen or heard of anyone getting robbed or attacked at BTC but my gf who works at a store there sees and hear of thefts happening every now and then. BTC is just a problem area for Bowie because of a higher incidence of crime compared to the rest of Bowie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland