Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2013, 09:04 AM

1,698 posts, read 1,826,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
What words were re-defined in context of the law?
I answered this question earlier in the thread. I'm not going to repeat myself, I'm just going to note that you have not yet articulated any type of actual harm done to anyone or anything by allowing homosexuals to legally get married.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 09:16 AM

10,125 posts, read 14,006,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post
I answered this question earlier in the thread. I'm not going to repeat myself, I'm just going to note that you have not yet articulated any type of actual harm done to anyone or anything by allowing homosexuals to legally get married.
Please point me to the post that you addressed this.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:46 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,231,257 times
Now, Now people! Anger!!! I know this thread is already at critical risk as it is!!!! The Mods are watching!

Old 04-12-2013, 04:50 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,909,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
After many discussions and opinions on this subject, I have come to the conclusion that people are blowing the definition thing way out of proportion and it is a red herring argument against how the law is structured. I believe that no one is forcing upon others what marriage means to them. Nor does it destroy any religious definition of marriage. We can all agree that mans laws do not supersede what the Bible or any other religious text says in one's own religion The Christian definition of marriage still stands and will always stand. Each individual still possesses their own definition of what marriage is and means. No one is taking that away from anyone.

I think it is a matter of convenience when people try to ascribe their religious or cultural beliefs to laws for people of diverse faiths and cultures. There are many laws in this country that don't squarely line up with personal beliefs of others. Nor should we expect them to. America is the great experiment in that as a free nation, it must be careful to include all people without alienating or discriminating against others. That's hard to do with so much diversity.

It is my opinion that marriage is between a man and a woman. If congress needs to adopt a broader definition in order to provide civil rights to others, so be it. My definition won't change. If someone asks, I'll tell them. If someone else thinks it should also include same-sex couples, then that's their belief and they are entitled to it. The inclusion of rights same-sex couples is not taking anything away from my own marriage and what it means.

I agree with you that the term doesn't have to be re-defined. But, even if it is, it's only redefined in laws where people are afforded certain rights. To me that's fine. Words aren't the issue, it's the purpose behind them.

This gets way out of hand. Is this a federal or state decision? If any is a student of the US Constitution one would know immediately to go to the 10th amendment and find out. The first 10 amendments were tacked onto the end of the Constitution to ensure it remains intact.

Amendment X The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

What this one tells us is if something is neither enumerated nor amended in the Constitution it is for the states to decide. Marriage or sex is not mentioned in the Constitution, hence why sodomy is in state law and not federal. Marriage is monitored by the states and not the federal. Concerning Roe v Wade - the Supreme Court ruling only placed a limit upon the regulations a state could impose...it did not impose any regulations itself.

In contrast - the 2nd amendment is enumerated. That takes precedence over state law. The states cannot legally create new laws concerning arms... Why no one has taken this to court yet is beyond me. There is no interpretation needed as it is one sentence.

Gay marriage is not something to be brought before the SC as it is up to the states. The 10th amendment says so and that is the law of the land.

How many people have a copy on their desk? I have for years and refer to it often. It is easy to read and I have no idea how SC justices find trouble with it even after taking an oath to uphold it.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:50 PM

434 posts, read 1,119,662 times
So, um, how about those cookies and cream milkshakes ? Aren't they great ?

Old 04-13-2013, 08:05 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,826,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
This gets way out of hand. Is this a federal or state decision? If any is a student of the US Constitution one would know immediately to go to the 10th amendment and find out. The first 10 amendments were tacked onto the end of the Constitution to ensure it remains intact.

Amendment X The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

What this one tells us is if something is neither enumerated nor amended in the Constitution it is for the states to decide.
Marriage or sex is not mentioned in the Constitution, hence why sodomy is in state law and not federal. Marriage is monitored by the states and not the federal. Concerning Roe v Wade - the Supreme Court ruling only placed a limit upon the regulations a state could impose...it did not impose any regulations itself.

In contrast - the 2nd amendment is enumerated. That takes precedence over state law. The states cannot legally create new laws concerning arms... Why no one has taken this to court yet is beyond me. There is no interpretation needed as it is one sentence.

Gay marriage is not something to be brought before the SC as it is up to the states. The 10th amendment says so and that is the law of the land.

How many people have a copy on their desk? I have for years and refer to it often. It is easy to read and I have no idea how SC justices find trouble with it even after taking an oath to uphold it.
Actually, you are very incorrect. The Supreme Court can decide if something is a protected right under the Constitution, even if it is just a general liberty interest. That is why we have thousands and thousands of Federal laws on topics that are not specifically mentioned in the Constitution. That is why we have Federal protection against discrimination based on gender, even though it is not mentioned in the Constitution. Do you actually believe that all of the discussion and debate and the fact that this issue reached the Supreme Court is because everyone but you literally failed to read the Constitution? Is it not slightly more plausible that you are the one who is incorrect, not everyone else? I mean, if you had this incredibly deep understanding of the Constitution way beyond everyone else, wouldn't YOU be the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court?

Old 04-14-2013, 03:48 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,231,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapper105 View Post
So, um, how about those cookies and cream milkshakes ? Aren't they great ?
Love 'em! Although, I usually settle for an Ice-Tea/Lemonade Mix. Can't ever get enough of them! LOL

Old 04-14-2013, 05:38 AM

1,261 posts, read 697,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
It really boggles the mind why some of those places haven't come to PG. Given the fact that Whole Foods has a plant in PG, I thought they would have been in Bowie or Laurel by now. It just doesn't make a ton of sense. I mean no offense to Detroit, but even that city just got a Whole Foods.
What PG wants is a Wegmans, they just opened in Germantown, MD. I hear they are amazing.

Whole Foods is good, but damn expensive. There are two Whole foods, one in Falls Church and Vienna, VA., 5 miles or so apart. A Whole Foods off River Road and White Flint in Montgomery, 10 miles apart. Two Harris Teeters, Seven Locks and off of Rockville Pike, 5 miles apart. Prince Georges is just neglected...go figure.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:04 AM

434 posts, read 1,119,662 times
We have a Wegmans in PGCo. Whole Foods is coming by the end of 2014.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:21 AM

304 posts, read 714,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Rock View Post
What PG wants is a Wegmans, they just opened in Germantown, MD. I hear they are amazing.
Wegman's has been in PG County since 2010, and it was the 2nd location in the state of Maryland. Where have you been??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland