Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2014, 08:29 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,990,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
I actually don't have a problem with set aside programs because there is still a large gap in this area that is skewed against MBEs, Women Owned, Veteran, and SBEs. Working in this space I see the imbalances all the time. However I do feel that if a door is provided that business or individual must be prepared to perform exceptionally. Contrary to media and general perception, there are still a disproportionate number of barriers for small and minority business and their need to be exceptions to ensure a more balanced playing field.
I disagree, and I don't see how that even relates to this matter. It is just a presumptuous mindset because there is an assumption because those groups do not have the same amount of business as "majority owned" companies then it must be because of discrimination. It also places, a possible undue guilt on MGM or any other business to support these businesses because of perceived discrimination that they may not have ever been involved in. Does MGM have a track record of discriminating? If so, then I understand, but from what I have heard, and even from what you have said on here, they seem to be a very thorough company that treats people equally and gives everyone a fair opportunity. So why do they have to be held to these standards? Does the county not trust that they will be fair?

There are a lot of reasons why those businesses may not be as successful as others. We can even look at the fact that perhaps there just aren't that many of them. For example, how many women owned businesses actually exist? If there is a shortage of them, which leads to less of them being selected, then does that mean they are being discriminated against? We should give people business based on merit. If you have a good business, then it shouldn't matter what your background is, it will show.

Think it about like this, this is the logic being used here, let's say you have 4 kids and they all get allowance for making the honor roll. One of your kids struggles in school and hasn't made the honor roll. So because you feel bad for that kid being left out, you give that child the same allowance as the other kids. They aren't getting the allowance because they have earned it, they are getting it because you don't want that child feeling left out. You are rewarding a child the same way as their siblings even though they have not done as well. Now I'm not saying that these businesses haven't done well, but if they are that good, then it won't matter what their race is, they will be selected anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 08:31 AM

130 posts, read 143,323 times
Who do you think the potential street car to National Harbor will benefit more, DC or NH?

Old 05-06-2014, 08:43 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,567,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
I disagree, and I don't see how that even relates to this matter. It is just a presumptuous mindset because there is an assumption because those groups do not have the same amount of business as "majority owned" companies then it must be because of discrimination. It also places, a possible undue guilt on MGM or any other business to support these businesses because of perceived discrimination that they may not have ever been involved in. Does MGM have a track record of discriminating? If so, then I understand, but from what I have heard, and even from what you have said on here, they seem to be a very thorough company that treats people equally and gives everyone a fair opportunity. So why do they have to be held to these standards? Does the county not trust that they will be fair?

There are a lot of reasons why those businesses may not be as successful as others. We can even look at the fact that perhaps there just aren't that many of them. For example, how many women owned businesses actually exist? If there is a shortage of them, which leads to less of them being selected, then does that mean they are being discriminated against? We should give people business based on merit. If you have a good business, then it shouldn't matter what your background is, it will show.

Think it about like this, this is the logic being used here, let's say you have 4 kids and they all get allowance for making the honor roll. One of your kids struggles in school and hasn't made the honor roll. So because you feel bad for that kid being left out, you give that child the same allowance as the other kids. They aren't getting the allowance because they have earned it, they are getting it because you don't want that child feeling left out. You are rewarding a child the same way as their siblings even though they have not done as well. Now I'm not saying that these businesses haven't done well, but if they are that good, then it won't matter what their race is, they will be selected anyway.
Well that will be a point that we will have to agree to disagree on.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmvwhatup View Post
Who do you think the potential street car to National Harbor will benefit more, DC or NH?
NH for sure. DC may want to get to NH but there is not a wholesale need. NH needs more transportation options to fully benefit from tourist and other types of patrons.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:17 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,990,232 times
Quote:
Well that will be a point that we will have to agree to disagree on.
Yes we will, but I think one thing we can agree on is the companies who PG County are trying to attract are watching this and seeing how MGM is being treated and are likely taking notes. PG has to do more to cultivate an attractive business environment. It's already bad enough to consider what the state does to hurt them, but this does not appear to help, because regardless if we think they are doing the right thing or not, if MGM does not like the way they are being treated then other businesses will not like it either.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
Yes we will, but I think one thing we can agree on is the companies who PG County are trying to attract are watching this and seeing how MGM is being treated and are likely taking notes. PG has to do more to cultivate an attractive business environment. It's already bad enough to consider what the state does to hurt them, but this does not appear to help, because regardless if we think they are doing the right thing or not, if MGM does not like the way they are being treated then other businesses will not like it either.
Now that I do agree with you on but I don't think it is all of PGC leadership that is creating obstacles. In the case of MGM. Baker has been negotiating a community agreement with them for months that address hiring practices and mbe/sbe participation. This is the norm for a company like MGM as they have done it in other communities. Its the council that is creating chaos by injecting these unrealistic assertions that do nothing more than confuse and agitate the process. The council also doesn't seem to know what requirements have already been put in place at the state and by the county's economic development office. That disconnect will be an issue as they try to recruit other larger businesses. In short, for the county to be successful the county leaders need to be on the same page.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:06 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,574,975 times
Quote:
Now that I do agree with you on but I don't think it is all of PGC leadership that is creating obstacles. In the case of MGM. Baker has been negotiating a community agreement with them for months that address hiring practices and mbe/sbe participation. This is the norm for a company like MGM as they have done it in other communities. Its the council that is creating chaos by injecting these unrealistic assertions that do nothing more than confuse and agitate the process. The council also doesn't seem to know what requirements have already been put in place at the state and by the county's economic development office. That disconnect will be an issue as they try to recruit other larger businesses. In short, for the county to be successful the county leaders need to be on the same page.

To the council's defense I'm not sure they've had enough of these situations to where they are experienced enough to have ironed out all the obstacles. How often does a multi-billion dollar company locate within the county where it spends 1 Billion dollars on construction and creates hundreds of millions in revenue?

Is that an excuse? No. As I said before, I think they could take a page from NoVa and Montgomery County and learn how to manage large corporations within the county. They've been in competition for decades with those other jurisdictions. They should be battle-tested and know better by now.

It is sorta the cart before the horse. We need more large businesses to locate here so that our experience with them can increase, but our current inexperience may hinder us from bringing in those large businesses.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:42 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,403,772 times
Quote:
NH for sure. DC may want to get to NH but there is not a wholesale need. NH needs more transportation options to fully benefit from tourist and other types of patrons.
Street car is not the answer however subway connector is more beneficial.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Street car is not the answer however subway connector is more beneficial.
Agreed but they would be able to get a street car or BRT route in place much easier than a connector. While they are working on the connector, they can invest in a street car or BRT as an interim solution.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
To the council's defense I'm not sure they've had enough of these situations to where they are experienced enough to have ironed out all the obstacles. How often does a multi-billion dollar company locate within the county where it spends 1 Billion dollars on construction and creates hundreds of millions in revenue?

Is that an excuse? No. As I said before, I think they could take a page from NoVa and Montgomery County and learn how to manage large corporations within the county. They've been in competition for decades with those other jurisdictions. They should be battle-tested and know better by now.

It is sorta the cart before the horse. We need more large businesses to locate here so that our experience with them can increase, but our current inexperience may hinder us from bringing in those large businesses.
The bigger problem is that they have not read the the RFP released by the state that spells out minority participation and local hiring. They also need a refresher on county/state MBE requirements on large scale projects. Reading is fundamental and would be benefit the council as they make assertions for preferences in contracting and hiring, I get that they may not have a lot of experience in this situation but they need to do their homework. That is just like going into a final without studying. You may do well but more than likely you will not do as well as if you had studied in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland