Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 09:14 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
There are a great number of bedroom communities in the DC area, of course. Otherwise, the commuting woes wouldn't exist to the degree that they do? I mean, popular, expensive bedroom communities that don't have to constantly worry about bring better jobs where they are. The people are willing to commute to the jobs and keep their communities as is. Why is that? What makes it all work? What can be applied to PG?
#1...The people complaining the most don't really want to live in PGC, they want to live in NOVA, MOCO, HOCO or some other fantasy place where the amenities are like a Macy's commercial. Guess what? If you want that you should move to it cause it ain't happening here. PGC is a huge bedroom community and probably will be for years. PGC is huge compare, compare Eagle Harbor to Tantallon, Takoma Park or Laurel.

PGC will remain so as long as the nanny state government is our overlord. Getting away from that will take some really creative thinking. It will take entrepreneurs willing to invest, build and operate the way they want - MD is blue through and through so slim chances there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 09:18 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,573,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post

People get all up in arms about the need to bring more government jobs to the area rather than private industry. Government does not create jobs and never builds wealth. Government jobs are but redistribution of wealth.
Like the Pentagon didn't do for Alexandria's defense industry or the NIH didn't do for MoCo's bi-science industry?

Old 12-02-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post

I get most of what I want and need here, and I can order anything else online.

^^^^Who needs upscale shopping when you can go online for any brand in any color and at substantial savings? A true brick and mortar store might be nice if you want to handle a product to get first hand tactile experience with it but most places offer free shipping as well. This is especially true this time of year. You can order and have a brand new car delivered to your house.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Rock View Post
I'm guessing that Prince Georges County HAS to bloom, now more than ever and I've been watching for over 25 years.
Wow! A whole 25 years? Where's the ticker tape parade?

Old 12-02-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Like the Pentagon didn't do for Alexandria's defense industry or the NIH didn't do for MoCo's bi-science industry?

The problem is this area depends on the federal government for it's existence. If it wasn't here neither would the populace. I want to see other than redistribution of wealth going on here - real jobs versus entitlement. I grew up in SOMD and a 'real job' to most meant working for the federal government...most made it. Some now claim working for the federal government doesn't carry the prestige it once did. I never thought it did.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Oh wow, I didn't know that a skyscraper was originally proposed! Definitely gonna give this a read.
Some entity promised to build a skyscraper along the beltway in NOVA near the Eisenhower road corridor and it never materialized. That was decades ago.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_of_DC View Post
You don't understand my post, but then make comments about it? Hmm...

My point was made, I'm sure you understand... no I don't pay rent there, but I stay there maybe a couple of times a week... so...

Although, my family stay in areas, I don't know all of it... but you don't live in PG... and talk about times you lived there 30 years ago like it was yesterday. It is confusing to readers.

Do you and yours live in areas or merely 'stay'? I don't understand the meaning...is it like homesteading or squatting?

Old 12-02-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post

Redirection...you guys get a lot of mileage out of that. The point was not to rely on the federal government for revenue/income. Big government is always the answer for the residents of the state. Government is not the solution but the problem.

The entire DC area is built on consumerism rather than building of wealth. How many people have real equity in their homes, if purchasing one? How many want amenities? How did the residents of PGC exist before amenities? It's transplants from the rest of the nation who move here for jobs directly related to the government demanding such as they want the same as they had as where they came from. Small businesses have gone away because everyone wants big box convenience. Chain eateries have replaced the mom&pop places until you get 30+ miles away from DC.

And...people have been complaining about PGC since before most posters considered moving here.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:56 PM

795 posts, read 1,268,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Do you and yours live in areas or merely 'stay'? I don't understand the meaning...is it like homesteading or squatting?
You are silly... I have family and friends all around... gburg, PG, VA, etc... I spend the night over a lot of places. I do have a place of my own. I'm single so I don't need to stay at home all the time. Sorry if that is hard to understand...

Old 12-02-2013, 10:11 PM

795 posts, read 1,268,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
First of all I was living there at this time last year. You are talking about me like I lived there 5 years ago or something.

Secondly, I still own property in Prince George's County so I am there quite often checking on my property and everything else that is going on, so I have a much more vested interest in the county. If you don't even pay rent there, then how are you going to question someone's understanding of a place that they own property in? You could stop moving to PG and never have anything to do with it. For me, I'm a tax payer and a property owner.

"I don't know all of it"

Stick with that. Remember it, especially before you respond again. Thank you.
And you still don't live there... not sure what is so hard to get about that.

And I own land/ property in three states... sorry, but I don't even start to believe that gives me something over someone who even visits on a regular.

I find it hard to believe you visit PG often... if you did, you would not put out so much incorrect information on this forum. It is really bad info... Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland