Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 04:58 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,652,083 times

Advertisements

Don't expect a new EU style Lidl from the get go............

Quote:
Although the German hard discounter Lidl is building U.S. stores nearly three times the size of counterpart Aldi, Lidl is likely to build its breadth of merchandise inside them gradually, utilizing less floor selling space for new stores until consumers get used to its offer, according to a research report by Kantar Retail.

The gradual increase would provide Lidl's new stores with a built-in means of increasing sales over time, according to Mike Paglia, a Kantar director who authored the report. Kantar based its findings in part on how Lidl has operated in other countries.

"Lidl is taking a unique, phased approach to how it will deploy its square footage," Paglia said. "When a new Lidl store opens, approximately 12% to 15% of the selling square footage will go unused. This Phase 1 store is meant to suit the needs and preferences of its new U.S. shoppers and give them an opportunity to get comfortable with the store. In time, Lidl will switch over to Phase 2 stores, which use all the available space and feature a modified layout."

Lidl US, a division of Germany's Schwarz Group with offices in Arlington, Va., is expected to open its first U.S. stores sometime in 2017. A spokesman for the chain declined comment on the Kantar report, which also included projections of sales volumes and store opening cadence.

Mike Dawson, a journalist following Lidl from Frankfurt, Germany, told SN he was skeptical that Lidl would intentionally underutilize space. "The German discounters are driven by a ruthless drive towards efficiency and unproductive sales space is just not their thing," he said.

According to Kantar, early Lidl stores will average about $10.9 million in sales per store in their first year, but that figure would grow over the coming five years to a projected $15.2 million, a compound annual growth rate of 6.9%. Sales per square foot would jump from $473 to $562 over the same period, Kantar added.

Should Kantar's projections be accurate, Lidl would be a higher-volume, but less productive version of Aldi. The latter operates stores with average annual volume of about $9 million per store and sales per square foot of $795, Kantar said.

Although Lidl has not specified a precise opening date or number of stores it intends to open, Kantar said it expects approximately 100 openings per year for the next five years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 12:33 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
I looked up the site of the proposed TJ's north of Rockville. It's only 7 miles from the one on Rockville Pike.
While it is "close" in location compared to how TJ's are usually located….I can see how it will pull from a different area as well.

That said…there is just NO EXCUSE whatsoever for PG county not to have a Tjs. They are just all around but not in PG. Sorry I just don't think that's accidental. You can't tell me the county can't support a Trader Joe's. The MOM's in Bowie is doing GREAT business. And I'm hardly ever elsewhere in the county, but I'd imagine the one in College Park and the Yes! Organic Market in Hyattsville are cleaning up as well.

Why do the "better" (dare I say more affluent?) parts of PG County have to "pay/suffer" because of the stigma of the rest of it. No one thinks all of Montgomery County is the same. Why does all of PG get broad brushed? (No answer needed, it's practically a rhetorical question at this point.) It's one of the reasons I really didn't want to move here. But I did so…..now I have to do most of my shopping -- and ALL of my fine dining outside my own county. I can't say I regret it, so I guess I'll stop bemoaning it now. (or should I say "for now")

Last edited by selhars; 11-07-2016 at 12:58 AM..

Old 11-07-2016, 07:12 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
Agree, and you're not the first, nor am I, to make that claim. He makes stuff up all the time, and gets into trouble with other posters, in a way that few others do. Kinda makes you want to follow him around for a day, just to see what other kinds of trouble he gets himself into. He thinks the forums are his personal blog.

One thing's for sure, he hasn't a clue how to run a retail biz.......

He once reprimanded me by DM for not giving him the credit he believed he deserved. When I pointed out why, explaining where his post was wrong, he went back edited the post, and then came back at me by DM complaining that I didn't apologize. When I pointed out that he had edited his post AFTER I had pointed out his error by DM, he was still not satisfied. I told him where to get off.

I still have those DM's. I could post them.
Hmmmmm. So you decide to troll me because I don't agree with your opinions? You're doing yourself a disservice. It shows that when you resort to these types of posts, you're not confident in your own argument and opinion so you resort to name calling and attacking. You state your opinions, I counter them, and now you're upset. Perhaps these forums aren't for you. As I continue to say, if you don't like my posts, don't read them and don't respond. But you want to attack someone's character.

Quote:
"Kind of makes you want to follow him around for a day?"
Really? You do know how that sounds right?

Quote:
He thinks the forums are his personal blog.
Are you jealous?

Quote:
One thing's for sure, he hasn't a clue how to run a retail biz.......
Doesn't stop me from having an opinion on it. You do know that there are people in public offices that make decisions on development that have never run a retail business either right?

Old 11-07-2016, 09:33 AM

662 posts, read 782,508 times
......you guys are nuts.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:38 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Hmmmmm. So you decide to troll me because I don't agree with your opinions? You're doing yourself a disservice. It shows that when you resort to these types of posts, you're not confident in your own argument and opinion so you resort to name calling and attacking. You state your opinions, I counter them, and now you're upset. Perhaps these forums aren't for you. As I continue to say, if you don't like my posts, don't read them and don't respond. But you want to attack someone's character.

Really? You do know how that sounds right?

Are you jealous?

Doesn't stop me from having an opinion on it. You do know that there are people in public offices that make decisions on development that have never run a retail business either right?

I think you both need a time out!

Old 11-21-2016, 10:37 AM

Looks Like Danville in rural far SW Va will have a Lidl store before PG. Construction started.

Lidl work begins: Building permit issued for 36,000-square-foot grocery store | News | godanriver.com

Lidl have also just bought a site for another store in Fredericksburg, their 3rd in that city, and 20th in Va. Construction also started on the first two in Fredericksburg.

Lidl Purchases Third Land Site in Fredericksburg for New Grocery Store | REBusinessOnline

Old 11-23-2016, 09:24 AM

Looks like Mannassas and Fredericksburg will beat PG to a Lidl opening.......

If only Whole Foods could move at this pace...........

Quote:
Lidl US is now seeking supervisors for stores in 20 markets, another indication the German discounter is making progress toward an American debut.

Store supervisors report to store managers or assistant managers and have responsibility for overseeing hourly employees at Lidl stores. Although supervisors would typically be hired by store managers assigned to local stores, a Lidl spokesman told SN Monday that that wasn’t necessarily the case in this instance.

Job postings went live on Lidl’s website on Friday, seeking supervisors in the following 20 “store radius” regions. These areas appear likely to be among the first regions where Lidl intends to open stores, but a spokesman would not confirm that:

* Richmond, Va.
* Norfolk/Newport News/Virginia Beach, Va.
* Culpepper, Va.
* Christinburg, Va.
* Mannassas, Va.
* Fredericksburg, Va
* Woodbridge, Va.
* Charlotte, N.C.
* Winston-Salem, N.C.
* Goldsboro/Kinston, N.C.
* Havelock, N.C.
* Rockingham, N.C.
* Rocky Mount, N.C.
* Wilson, N.C.
* Raleigh, N.C.
* Greenville, N.C.
* Shelby, N.C.
* Greenville, S.C.
* Spartanburg, S.C.
* Middletown, Del./Elkton, Md.

As previously reported, Lidl cast announcements seeking store managers in 12 metro areas in late August, and in late September said it was seeking managers in another five regions. The company, owned by Germany's Schwarz Group, has said it was seeking store locations in an eight-state region ranging from Southern New Jersey to Pennsylvania.

Lidl has not yet confirmed the number of stores it plans to open or a date for opening beyond saying its first units would open “prior to 2018.” The chain as of last week had seven stores under construction, 48 planned and 38 proposed, according to Beith & Diash Geographers’ Planned Grocery, a subscription-based application.

Will Harwood, a spokesman for Lidl, in a response to SN’s questions about the latest job postings said: “[W]e are continuing to build our operations, and are accepting applications and building a talent pipeline for store leadership positions in a number of areas. These roles include the store manager positions you've written about previously, as well as store supervisors. We will invest heavily in the training and development of these individuals. I would note as well that the hiring and training for these roles can operate independently of each other; one group does not necessarily hire the next at this stage.”

Supervisors will be “cross-trained in every aspect of store operations, from managing the store associates, working the register, ordering, stocking the shelves, opening and closing the store, to operating the pallet jack,” according to the job listings. Lidl is seeking candidates with previous supervisory experience in the retail and/ or service industry; at least one year of supervision or three years work experience; and who have a high school diploma or G.E.D.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:38 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:

I literally just rode past the Fredericksburg one a couple hours ago today before coming back to MD. It's pretty far down Rt. 3 and already up pretty much up and enclosed from the exterior, should be open by Spring from the looks of it.

Old 11-26-2016, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Whoa.

Perhaps this is College Park's chance.

Good luck Lidl, people here put Harris Teeter on a pedestal. A lot of people view Harris Teeter as the Whole Foods of non-organic grocery stores. And if you start putting stores in the stepchild-like county of the DC. region, people will assume that Lidl is somehow a food store for WIC recipients. It will be interesting to see how this plays out as far as public perception of this new grocer.

Now I have to do some real research on Lidl.

Giant has their customers as does Safeway, all any more stores will do is cannibalize their own markets.

Old 11-26-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:

Walmart and Food Lion will kill them in NC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland