Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 04:33 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
It wouldn't even be a risk. I keep saying over and over, their prices are low. lol Which is so frustrating and could lead people to believe they are discriminatory. 80% of the population east of Rock Creek and the Anacostia River can afford to shop at Trader Joe's. But Trader Joe's seems to think that these people are less educated, so they can't possibly be into unique foods from around the world.

My argument is that these areas are some of the most diverse in the DC region. So, what gives?

You throw your opinion around like it is fact quit a bit .You say their prices are low ,how do you know ,what is your comparison?You make the statement that 80% of the population east of Rock Creek can afford to shop at TJ's,ok, what is your proof,what facts lead you to this assumption?To the biggest and most outrageous lie of all you say and I quote"But Trader Joe's seems to think that these people are less educated, so they can't possibly be into unique foods from around the world.".............and you know this how other than just your seemingly unfactual opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 07:11 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,564,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
You throw your opinion around like it is fact quit a bit .You say their prices are low ,how do you know ,what is your comparison? You make the statement that 80% of the population east of Rock Creek can afford to shop at TJ's,ok, what is your proof,what facts lead you to this assumption?
I've done my research. You do yours. If you are going to counter my statement as nonfactual, then the burden of proof is on you, no? Can you state for a fact that Trader Joe's prices are indeed not affordable for 80% of the population East of the Anacostia and Rock Creek Park?

Quote:
To the biggest and most outrageous lie of all you say and I quote"But Trader Joe's seems to think that these people are less educated, so they can't possibly be into unique foods from around the world.".............and you know this how other than just your seemingly unfactual opinion?
It is not an outrageous lie. Like I said, do some research. I'll give you some slack though. You weren't around for the previous discussions on the subject. Please read these informational threads, then get back to me on why you think my statement is an outrageous lie.

More specifically, read this previous post that I submitted in 2014 and tell me I made an outrageous lie.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/34425387-post5.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/washi...e-georges.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/washi...ing-whole.html

Old 10-26-2016, 08:28 AM

LOL, so your defense is links, to more of your post's which again are more of your opinion than fact.I have made no clams at all you are the one pretending to be an expert I asked you to back up your clams.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
LOL, so your defense is links, to more of your post's which again are more of your opinion than fact.I have made no clams at all you are the one pretending to be an expert I asked you to back up your clams.
Reading is fundamental. If you refuse to read, then I can't help you.

Old 10-26-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Reading is fundamental. If you refuse to read, then I can't help you.

Yes it is .Spin anyway you like but your opinion is just that,opinion.

Old 10-28-2016, 07:52 AM

For those interested, a 3-D video rendition of the Lidl store in College Park.

https://plus.google.com/photos/photo...1906?icm=false

Old 11-05-2016, 11:46 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,652,083 times
Quote:
You throw your opinion around like it is fact quit a bit .You say their prices are low ,how do you know ,what is your comparison?You make the statement that 80% of the population east of Rock Creek can afford to shop at TJ's,ok, what is your proof,what facts lead you to this assumption?To the biggest and most outrageous lie of all you say and I quote"But Trader Joe's seems to think that these people are less educated, so they can't possibly be into unique foods from around the world.".............and you know this how other than just your seemingly unfactual opinion?

Agree, and you're not the first, nor am I, to make that claim. He makes stuff up all the time, and gets into trouble with other posters, in a way that few others do. Kinda makes you want to follow him around for a day, just to see what other kinds of trouble he gets himself into. He thinks the forums are his personal blog.

One thing's for sure, he hasn't a clue how to run a retail biz.......

He once reprimanded me by DM for not giving him the credit he believed he deserved. When I pointed out why, explaining where his post was wrong, he went back edited the post, and then came back at me by DM complaining that I didn't apologize. When I pointed out that he had edited his post AFTER I had pointed out his error by DM, he was still not satisfied. I told him where to get off.

I still have those DM's. I could post them.

Old 11-06-2016, 10:43 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,118,283 times
I knew of the retail redlining of PG County when I moved here from Montgomery County. It sort of ticks me off, but like I said, I knew existed so I just deal with it. I THINK the situation is improving.

1) Lidi's NOR Aldi's are my kind of grocery store. So personally no gain or loss for me. LOVE that Bowie has a Harris Teeter now.

2) TRADER JOES -- I WROTE TO TJ's and sent newspaper Letters to the Editor where residents practically begged for a Trader Joe's in Bowie. Didn't even get the courtesy of a reply. I assume my letter did indeed arrive. I admit it did **** me off. But now we have MOM's which I LOVE. However I have to admit I still go to annapolis for TJ's (and the one in Silver Spring when I'm near there)

I was told by the realtor who had the lease for the old Giant on 197 that TJ said it had no interest in expanding in MD. I don't know the timing of that with the two JTs in Bethesda and on Colesville Rd. But it's mighty funny TJ's was willing to squeeze into that darn small spot on Rte 29. But didn't want expand in MD….right. (But later I found out that Giant still had the lease on the old store location. So it wouldn't have let a TJs come there anyway. But like I said we got a GREAT My Organic Market just up the road…)

3) WAL-MART -- So is the Wal-mart not coming to the NY Ave/Bladensburg Road location at all? Is that totally scuttled. I knew there are won issues with the Wal-mart projects in DC. But didn't know that was was completely off the table…… I wouldn't shop there, and quite frankly it would just be something else to slow up my commute. But I DO see that area has some "interesting" new retail. So SOME developer SOMEwhere has big plans for that area.

Old 11-06-2016, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I knew of the retail redlining of PG County when I moved here from Montgomery County. It sort of ticks me off, but like I said, I knew existed so I just deal with it. I THINK the situation is improving.

1) Lidi's NOR Aldi's are my kind of grocery store. So personally no gain or loss for me. LOVE that Bowie has a Harris Teeter now.

2) TRADER JOES -- I WROTE TO TJ's and sent newspaper Letters to the Editor where residents practically begged for a Trader Joe's in Bowie. Didn't even get the courtesy of a reply. I assume my letter did indeed arrive. I admit it did **** me off. But now we have MOM's which I LOVE. However I have to admit I still go to annapolis for TJ's (and the one in Silver Spring when I'm near there)

I was told by the realtor who had the lease for the old Giant on 197 that TJ said it had no interest in expanding in MD. I don't know the timing of that with the two JTs in Bethesda and on Colesville Rd. But it's mighty funny TJ's was willing to squeeze into that darn small spot on Rte 29. But didn't want expand in MD….right. (But later I found out that Giant still had the lease on the old store location. So it wouldn't have let a TJs come there anyway. But like I said we got a GREAT My Organic Market just up the road…)

3) WAL-MART -- So is the Wal-mart not coming to the NY Ave/Bladensburg Road location at all? Is that totally scuttled. I knew there are won issues with the Wal-mart projects in DC. But didn't know that was was completely off the table…… I wouldn't shop there, and quite frankly it would just be something else to slow up my commute. But I DO see that area has some "interesting" new retail. So SOME developer SOMEwhere has big plans for that area.
I too am a transplant from MoCo.

TJ recently announced a 2nd store in Rockville. They've been on R. 29 for at least 10 years. The only new retail space on 29 since then has been Burnsville, and that's not nearly as attractive as SS.

I think the Bladensburg Ave site is on the back burner for the foreseeable future......

Old 11-06-2016, 04:54 PM

Seems like Lidl are in a hurry.They've announced expansion into Texas. In the Houston metro Aldi went from zero to 30+ stores in a matter of months. They opened 13 on one day.

Quote:
German discounter Lidl, already at work on a large-scale invasion of the U.S. East Coast, is planning a second front in Texas, a spokesman for the company told SN Friday.

"Our focus right now is in our operations along the East Coast, opening our first stores, and introducing customers to Lidl US and the unique shopping experience we'll offer. We have begun looking at sites in Texas, but it's too early for me to comment further on that at this early stage," Will Harwood, a spokesman for the Arlington, Va.-based division of Germany's Schwarz Group, said in an email. He declined to elaborate on specific sites, markets or a timeline.

An expansion to Texas — already home to some of the U.S.'s most competitive supermarket activity and the home state of well-regarded names like H-E-B and Whole Foods — provides further indication that discounters are seeing opportunity within saturated grocery markets, where their low everyday prices and more efficient operating model can stand out. Texas in recent years has absorbed new entries from discounter WinCo and from the U.S. division of Lidl's German-based counterpart, Aldi, while seeing conventional and specialty chains like Minyard and The Fresh Market fail. It also illustrates massive U.S. ambitions for Lidl, which is already in preparations to open three distribution centers and dozens of East Coast stores from New Jersey to Georgia as early as next year.

"I was surprised that Lidl confirmed to our news colleague in Houston that they are sounding the market in Texas because it is 2,000 kilometers or so away from where they are building their head office and DCs," Mike Dawson a Frankfurt-based journalist following the retailer for the German food industry trade newspaper Lebensmittel Zeitung, told SN Friday. "Unless they are trying to put Aldi USA and others off the scent, this can only reflect the huge extent of their expansion plans in the U.S."

Analysts consider Texas — particularly the Houston and Dallas markets — among the most crowded and price competitive in the country, particularly in recent months as deflating prices have taken hold. They include a substantial presence not only of all three of the largest U.S. grocers — Wal-Mart Stores, Kroger and Albertsons — but H-E-B, which dominates many markets in Texas but currently has only a small presence in Dallas.

That competitive density itself may be what's attracting discounters, sources said. Aldi beginning in 2010 plowed into the Dallas market and since followed in Houston. Today the Batavia, Ill.-based operator has 90 stores in the state, according to its website.

"When they entered that market six or seven years ago, I think Dallas and Houston were already among the most price competitive markets in the country, and yet Aldi popped up with about 30 stores very quickly," Ajay Jain, senior analyst at Pivotal Research, New York, remarked during SN's Financial Analysts Roundtable last month.

"Aldi and Lidl have never feared an established supermarket culture in the countries they expand to and often wait until one has evolved before they come," Dawson said. "Their whole culture is based on offering a big price difference to supermarket operators on the narrow range they offer. Therefore, there has to be a supermarket culture they can score price points off of."

This approach is also reflected in real estate strategies, with Aldi in particular keen to locate stores in close proximity with the leading stores in the markets it enters, often Walmart. "They know they’re going to just draft on it," Joe Feldman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland