Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 07:36 AM

8,631 posts, read 9,139,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskmd View Post
Thank you all for the advice.

As I mentioned before I will be commuting to DC, 15th Steet, by McPherson Sq metro station, and husband to Andrews.
I will be leaving early, no later than 6:15am.

I know there's no such the perfect place when you have a really tight budget.
Having grown up in the area, if it were me I would be looking at Fort Foot, Fort Washington area. To me its affordable, very close to DC and Andrews and will see growth in the immediate future with the National Harbor and MGM Grand nearby. Virginia is also quite close. Any other area that close to a major city and lucrative suburbs, housing would normally be very high, but not quite so in those areas I mentioned. I see big changes in that immediate area. Waldorf to me is so-so, plenty of white flight mumbo jumbo going on in those parts. For example, you will notice real estate prices rising as one travels farther from DC and Waldorf. Not usually the norm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 10:45 AM

377 posts, read 665,324 times
Fort Foote and Fort Washington are nice but have horrendous schools.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:41 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misskmd View Post
Currently I live in Alexandria. But its impossible to afford anything here. If I had the money I would love to make here my forever home. However, the only "affordable" zip code here is 22309, which is awful, awful... I'm not paying 250K for condo!
LOL I hear you but even $250K won't get you much in terms of a condo in Alexandria.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:03 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,077,634 times
Here are the timetables for Waldorf commuter busses. Some of them leave from the commuter lot on Highway 301 & Smallwood Drive..and then at the nearby St. Charles Mall...while others stop instead at the gigantic parking lot on Mattawowan-Beantown Road. It is cheaper if you buy a long-term pass. Unfortunately, traffic can be horrendous even as early as 6:30 a.m., and it back-up badly in Brandywine as early as mid-afternoon on weekdays. Many (but not all of) the Waldorf busses stop within a block of McPherson Square.

https://mta.maryland.gov/commuter-bus-route-list

Keller Transportation - Commuter Services

The following website explains registering for ride-sharing / vanpools. If you can find one that carries people directly to McPherson Square without making other stops along the way, it may be faster than the bus. (For the life of me, I can't understand why Brandywine IS NOT on their list of "30 worst traffic spots in Maryland"). Commuter Connections

Old 05-23-2016, 01:36 PM

50 posts, read 49,237 times
Hi I have lived and worked in Waldorf for over 20 years. I might get slammed for this but it's all perspective. We live in a townhome community and our direct neighbors are great. They own their homes and that seems to be what makes the difference. As far as commuting the other poster is correct. There is traffic here ALL the time and any commute is going to suck. I, personally, wouldn't live in the older section of ST Charles, across from the mall, but they are building new homes there that are pretty nice. Lancaster circle, across from the mall, isn't great. Stay away from Acton Lane and Holly Tree also. There are pockets everywhere. If you want to PM me when you find something with the area I can give you more info. Hampshire and Dorchester aren't too bad but I have friends that live in most of these areas and they do fine. I'd look in White Plains also which is only 5-10 min away. Nicer areas there. Where are you moving from? Can you check out the area after dark?

Old 05-23-2016, 02:03 PM

8,631 posts, read 9,139,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast GTO View Post
Fort Foote and Fort Washington are nice but have horrendous schools.
True. However, perhaps in time they may or should improve---maybe. My line of thinking is I believe that whole area is in for big changes for the better.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:21 AM

54 posts, read 114,279 times
Default Re: Waldorf

Hi!

I live in Brandywine, which is in the northeastern part of Charles county (as well as PG county). You stated you were looking into Pinefield. Though I don't know too much about that neighborhood, I am, however, familiar with the schools that are zoned for that area because we're zoned for the same schools- Malcolm elementary, John Hanson Middle and Thomas Stone High School. My oldest son attended all three and we never had any problems with either school. He also has many friends that live in Pinefield and has never really said anything negative about it. My second child is currently in 1st grade at Malcolm and it's a wonderful school. She's thriving and loves it there. The zoning for Thomas Stone has changed due to the new high School (St. Charles). Some of the more shaddy neighborhoods such as Carrington and Wake Field are no longer going to Stone.

Let me know if you have any questions, I'll try to help as much as possible.

**also, I commute everyday up to Alexandria. The earlier you can leave the better. It takes me about 45 mins to an hour.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:04 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Just an aside I got caught behind a school bus loading up kinds on McDaniel Road in Waldorf this morning. The kids look to be junior high school aged. Nothing wrong with the kids but I was struck by how all of them, and there were many of them, were black. This is odd because I've seen white folks in their thirties and forties around there so I know there has to be some white kids there too. Evidently they don't send their kids to the public schools.

I think it's sad that the divisions are so extreme, even in the suburbs.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:40 PM

50 posts, read 49,237 times
Only 29.9% white in Waldorf now.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:56 PM

789 posts, read 1,096,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovepoker View Post
Only 29.9% white in Waldorf now.
Got a source on that? Last time I checked it was 35%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland