Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 08:44 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times

Advertisements

Compton,

First, stop looking at channel 7 and reading the Post. They are in the business of scaring white suburbia. I don't know if you know DC like I know DC but the stuff you are talking about is small sh&t. Most dudes who come home from the Feds are lost and living in the past. They come home thinking that they can get back on or relive their past but they face a hard reality when they hit the bricks because sh&t has changed.If you really know anything about DC, you would have known that DC dudes in the Feds are there own clique or group. They are beefing with everyone (crips & blood) including the Aryan Brotherhood. Do a google search on DC BLACKS. Real DC dudes don't join gangs. They are a joke. DC will never be a gang magnet because the crews won't have it. First off, DC is a materialistic city. Too many of the youngins are too caught up on fashion to care about what colors they are wearing. Most of think them think the bloods & crips are hilarious. I know there are some clowns doing it trying to fit in but it will never catch on. I've seen the same things in the 80's, 90's and now. I remember when people said the Jamaicans were going to take over and then it was the New Yorkers. DC is a friendly place in all honestly. People from all over come here to get money. The city welcomes all. But when they (crews) are ready to get rid of you, they will.

Last edited by DC's Finest; 10-08-2008 at 08:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 06:31 PM

96 posts, read 560,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Compton,

First, stop looking at channel 7 and reading the Post. They are in the business of scaring white suburbia. I don't know if you know DC like I know DC but the stuff you are talking about is small sh&t. Most dudes who come home from the Feds are lost and living in the past. They come home thinking that they can get back on or relive their past but they face a hard reality when they hit the bricks because sh&t has changed.If you really know anything about DC, you would have known that DC dudes in the Feds are there own clique or group. They are beefing with everyone (crips & blood) including the Aryan Brotherhood. Do a google search on DC BLACKS. Real DC dudes don't join gangs. They are a joke. DC will never be a gang magnet because the crews won't have it. First off, DC is a materialistic city. Too many of the youngins are too caught up on fashion to care about what colors they are wearing. Most of think them think the bloods & crips are hilarious. I know there are some clowns doing it trying to fit in but it will never catch on. I've seen the same things in the 80's, 90's and now. I remember when people said the Jamaicans were going to take over and then it was the New Yorkers. DC is a friendly place in all honestly. People from all over come here to get money. The city welcomes all. But when they (crews) are ready to get rid of you, they will.
I feel where you comin from but I personaly know people who have joined bloods gang A close friend of mine joined the crips I got folks all ova america doin federal time some of em had to do what they had to do what you think is gonna happen when they come home from doin 10 15 yrs and they been in a gang that whole time and I'm from Yuma st SE aka condon terrace you can't tell me sh*t young I'm old enough to have seen all of the "trends" crews have taken and if you think me or my folks is so called "unreal" DC dudes you are sadly mistaken real talk and I don't do research I see it for myself eryday I ain't sayin that the sh*t is gonna be Cali out this joint but do "U" hosnesty think the police is gonna care one way or another wether your playin a gang member or not you need to stop dewellin in the past times is changin

Old 10-10-2008, 08:37 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times
Slim, I know DC just like you know DC. I'm from 7th Street, so the stuff you are saying is foreign to me. I have seen all that sh&t you are talking come and go since the 80's. We just need to agree that we disagree and keep it moving.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:58 PM

208 posts, read 1,217,986 times
The murder rate of Washington DC as of 2007 is 30.8 per 100,000. That is 180 murders. Prince Georges County Maryland had 136 murder and it is 3 minutes away. To think Dc is safe is insane ive lived around the area for my entire life. There are murders every other day it seems. You can also go to the Washington Metropolitan Police department page to see daily crime reports. Or better yet go to WWW.SPOTCRIME.COM the crime is DC is overlapping each other.

From wikipedia paragraph 3( Crime in Washington D.C.)

At the peak of the violent crime wave in the early 1990s, Washington, D.C., was known as the murder capital of the United States. Homicides peaked in 1996 at 602.

from wikipedia robbery section (Crime in Washington D.C.)

On average, there are 11 robberies each day across the District of Columbia, with a sharp increase on Friday and Saturday nights, with up to five an hour. Neighborhoods that are hot spots for robbery include Columbia Heights, Adams Morgan, Mount Pleasant, Dupont Circle, Logan Circle, and Shaw

Wikipedia (Crime in the United States)

The homicide rate was highest in the District of Columbia and Louisiana, as both states are home to some of the most violent areas in the entire country, namely eastern Washington, D.C. and the city of New Orleans.

Currentlly Washington Dc ranks as the 5th worst city in the united states for violent crimes.

source: United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
source: Table 08, Data Declaration - Crime in the United States 2007 (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2007/data/table_08_dd.html - broken link)
source: http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2007/data/documents/07tbl08.xls (broken link)

Most violent cities data for 2007 that became available in 2008. All is based upon Federal Bureau of Investigation Uniform Crime Reports

For populations of 250,000 and above

1) Detroit, Michigan
2) Baltimore, Maryland
3) St. Louis, Missouri
4) Newark, New Jersey
5) Washington DC

For Populations of 100,000 to 250,000

1)New Orleans, Louisiana
2)Birmingham, Alabama
3)Baton Rouge, Louisiana
4) Little Rock, Arkansas
5) Richmond ,Virginia

Old 11-22-2008, 11:12 AM

7 posts, read 94,221 times
Tuesday, September 16, 2008WP: 8 Members of Bloods Indicted in DC The Post reports on the indictments of 6 men and 2 women alleged to be members of the Bloods for assault, sexual assault, and kidnapping. The crimes for which they were charged occurred in DC, but not in our area [the 4900 block of Astor Place SE and the 4500 block of Grant Street NE]. I'm mentioning the article here because I think it is of general interest.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:14 AM

<H3 class=post-title>WP: Bloods and Crips Make Inroads in DC

More on the gang thing from the Post. Police have identified as Blood related activities in Trinidad-
1. selling drugs near the Trinidad Rec
2. flashing gang signs
3. displaying red

The Bloods have not been linked to any homicides in Trinidad. As previously noted, part of this problem appears to be bleeding over from Maryland. The Bloods arrived in Baltimore several years back, and they are now elsewhere in MD. Check out this quote from the article-

"Authorities said that about 25 percent of the 1,300 inmates in the Prince George's jail are affiliated with gangs and that more than 60 percent of the gang members are Bloods. "

25 PERCENT.

Elsewhere in the article-

"More than a year ago, the Alliance for Concerned Men, which contracts with the District to help reduce violence, began confiscating red and blue bandannas from youth calling themselves Crips or Bloods, mostly in the Shaw area of Northwest, alliance members said. "

The article also quoted a source who said the Bloods and Crips have expanded beyond the traditional crimes of dealing in guns and drug to things like "identify theft, Social Security fraud, credit card fraud and mortgage fraud."

It sounds like a lot of what you see when these gangs move in is neighborhood gangs affiliating with them . For example, a neighborhood crew might choose to associate with the Bloods to get more respect and prestige.

posted by inked at 8:10 AM

</H3>

Old 11-22-2008, 11:16 AM

Friday, August 29, 2008

West Coast Gangs Are Making Inroads

(Posted 29 Aug 2008)
West Coast Gangs Are Making Inroads; Bloods, Crips Tied To Area Crimes.
Post, 29 Aug 2008 (Thomas-Lester).
The emergence of Bloods and Crips, gangs that originated on the West Coast and are establishing themselves in the Washington area, has contributed to several homicides in Prince George's County this year and has become a growing concern in the District, law enforcement officials said.

Bloods, and to a lesser degree their rival Crips, are suspects in several crimes in a wide swath from Prince William County to Baltimore. "We are seeing their numbers growing right now," said Capt. Bill Lynn, commander of the Prince George's police gang unit. "The Crips and Bloods are the focus for law enforcement now, not only here but around the region, because of the violence they perpetrate."
Lynn, of the Prince George's police, said that even if local gang affiliates might be less organized than established sets elsewhere, they are no less dangerous. "A lot of people like to say someone is a 'wannabe,' " he said. "Someone who wants to be is more dangerous than someone who is because they are trying to prove something."

The ranks of the two gangs appear to be growing locally, in part, because of men returning from jail or prison who joined the gangs for protection behind bars. . . .
Authorities said that about 25 percent of the 1,300 inmates in the Prince George's jail are affiliated with gangs and that more than 60 percent of the gang members are Bloods. Last year, Maryland corrections officials started a task force to address gang activity in prison. Virginia officials have identified about 2,000 Bloods and 700 Crips in state prisons.

Other gang members are moving from New York and Los Angeles to avoid more aggressive law enforcement, said Tony Avendorph, a Prince George's detective who trains gang investigators across the country. Once here, they recruit members, often incorporating existing crews, and then use new members "as the fall guys" to escape arrest, Avendorph said.

Much of the county's intelligence comes from members who have been arrested. Police estimate there are at least 280 gangs in Prince George's, including neighborhood crews, with 3,500 or more members. Officials said Bloods outnumber Crips, but they did not provide specific numbers. "If you approach them right, they will offer right out that they are a member of the Crips or Bloods because they are proud of it," Lynn said.
In response to the growing gang problem, the Prince George's police gang unit has been expanded from five to 15 members. County State's Attorney Glenn F. Ivey (D) has recruited a former federal gang prosecutor who obtained an indictment in a case involving Mara Salvatrucha, or MS-13, under a new Maryland law that increases sentences for gang-related crimes. Gansler has offered his team of designated gang prosecutors to assist Ivey's office.
[Full story]

PermaLink: 8/29/2008
Labels: PG.Crime, PG.Gangs

Old 11-22-2008, 11:19 AM

26 Alleged Gang Members Face Indictment on Racketeering Charges

Maryland U.S. Attorney Rod J. Rosenstein wants indictment to disrupt the larger organization. (By Matthew S. Gunby -- Associated Press)
[SIZE=2]Enlarge Photo[/SIZE]

TOOLBOX

Resize Text

Save/Share +

Digg

Newsvine

del.icio.us

Stumble It!

Reddit

Facebook

Print This
E-mail This

#ArticleCommentsWrapper {display:block};
COMMENT

washingtonpost.com readers have posted 26 comments about this item.
View All Comments »

Comments are closed for this item.

Discussion Policy

Your browser's settings may be preventing you from commenting on and viewing comments about this item. See instructions for fixing the problem.

Discussion Policy
CLOSE

Comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed. Finally, we will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or privacy policies or any other policies governing this site. Please review the full rules governing commentaries and discussions. You are fully responsible for the content that you post.

Who's Blogging

» Links to this article

[SIZE=2]
By Ernesto Londoño
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, February 26, 2008; Page B06 [/SIZE]

Federal prosecutors in Maryland announced a racketeering indictment yesterday against more than two dozen alleged members of a subset of the Bloods gang, revealing a violent underworld that authorities say has grown in the state in recent years as gang recruitment in jails and prisons has soared.
The defendants, most of whom are from the Baltimore area, belong to the Tree Top Pirus, or TTP, a Bloods offshoot that started at the Washington County Detention Center in Hagerstown in the late 1990s, prosecutors said.
The indictment outlines crimes, including five homicides, allegedly committed by TTP members since 2005. Twenty-six of the twenty-eight defendants are charged with racketeering. Many of the defendants are charged with conspiracy, and some are also charged with distribution of narcotics and possession of firearms.
"The goal here is to return an indictment that disrupts the larger organization," Maryland U.S. Attorney Rod J. Rosenstein said.
Law enforcement officials in the Washington area say subsets that adopt the creed and practices of the Bloods and the Crips, gangs that started in California nearly four decades ago, have grown in Montgomery County and other local jurisdictions in recent years.
Officials at the Maryland Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services, concerned by the spike in recruitment behind bars, recently formed a task force to develop ways to combat gang activity in prisons and share information with local and federal law enforcement officials. Officials say they have identified more than 2,600 gang members in prisons.
"These gangs are more violent, more organized and more entrenched than ever before," said Rick Binetti, a spokesman for the state agency.
According to the indictment, the defendants, five of whom are women, sold drugs to provide financial support to those who were incarcerated, took orders from gang leaders and didn't hesitate to use violence against members of rival gangs as well as Bloods who broke the rules.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:22 AM

Bloods, Crips gangs worry D.C. police

By David C. Lipscomb
The Washington Times
WASHINGTON — Metropolitan Police Department Chief Cathy L. Lanier and federal law officials said Wednesday that they are concerned about the arrival of the notorious Bloods and Crips gangs leading to conflicts with local gangs, particularly in the struggle to control the illegal drug trade.
"Bloods and Crips are starting to break into territory that belongs to crews in the District," Chief Lanier said. "Those conflicts are going to end in violence."

City police and the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) acknowledged the existence of the nationally recognized, West Coast-based gangs late last month after arresting 77 people in connection with drug dealing in the Northeast neighborhood of Trinidad.
The neighborhood was the site of several killings in the spring and summer, which resulted in Chief Lanier instituting military-style checkpoints.
Officials said one explanation for the emergence of the national gangs, particularly the Bloods, is that local convicts are being recruited in federal prisons.
"It's a networking system," said George Fong, of the FBI's Safe Streets and Gang Unit. "There are a lot of East Coast gangs being inspired by West Coast gangs."
Peace activists Wednesday questioned whether local gangs members are really pretending to be part of the bigger, national gangs in order to intimidate potential rivals.
"It's more of a wannabe thing than a real thing," said Ronald Moten, co-founder of the youth advocacy group Peaceoholics. "If there was some real stuff going on, then it would be a lot worse."
Still, Chief Lanier said she want to clamp down on the "relatively small" number of Bloods in the District to stop them from recruiting local crews.
City police began aggressively targeted crews after a series of retaliatory shootings late last summer and through the fall. The crews were also blamed for the shootings in Trinidad and the larger 5th Police District.
Though police express concern about the potential for increased violence, they don't expect it to rise to the levels seen in the late 1980s when the District was mired in the crack cocaine epidemic.
Joseph Persichini, special agent in charge of the FBI's Washington Field Office, said the agency is watching crime trends more than naming trends, saying that any gang, regardless of its affiliation, is dangerous.
"We're looking at where the drugs are, where the guns are, violent crime," he said. "We've prioritized the most dangerous gangs in different parts of the city and we go after them."
Mr. Persichini said that strategy combined with information-sharing among city police, the DEA, the U.S. Attorney's Office for the District and other local agencies will lead to better gang prevention.
Copyright 2008 The Washington Times

Old 11-23-2008, 03:13 PM

96 posts, read 560,322 times
Dcdamu thank you for explaining what i was sayin some people just can't accept times are changin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC