Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 11:25 AM

465 posts, read 658,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
Here we go again...

As a buppie, I would never condone doing such a thing to ANYONE, let alone other black people. You''re completely hyperbolizing the situation. Then again, I shouldn't be shocked.

Anywho...

The fact that you seem to celebrate the form of Gentrification that is taking place DC already says that you are condoning it. You've repeatedly supported it over and over again in multiple threads. I'm not hyperbolizing anything. You've been called out several times by other posters, so let's not act like I'm the only person that thinks you don't want to cleanse DC of poor Black people. My problem with you is that you fail to realize the effects that this is having on people's lives. It's more them just displacement, it's the strain that moving has on poor families, the exploitation that occurs from landlords and developers and the increased police activity that unfairly targets poor and working class minorities , just so new more affluent residents can feel comfortable. One thing your degree from GW has not taught you is empathy and that's pretty sad.

‘Gentrification is Apartheid’ – The Michigan Citizen

Many of your comments convey that message. If you don't like people thinking that, perhaps you should refine your message a bit.

No, they don't. What you are doing is PROJECTING what you THINK you know on someone that you DON'T. Unless you have explicit proof that I think like that, don't say I do. Your insecurities aren't my problem. I don't need to refine anything, because nothing that I have said needs refinement. My comments are exactly as I want them. It's your twisted logic and deductions that are the problem here.

Umm... please explain how my logic is twisted.

I'll let you continue your wishful thinking. BTW all those poor people that you claim to be getting rid of are often times moving 5 to to miles away and connected to the metro system. Do you really think that they wouldn't come back to commit crime in DC if it became this rich enclave. You're either delusional or very naive about the inner-workings of a criminal's mind.

WHAT are you talking about here??? That has nothing to do with the my quote that you emboldened. Once again you're projecting.

I'm speaking to the fact that you seem to sugggestl that moving poor people a few miles one way or the other will all of a sudden solve DC's crime problem. I'm just stating that criminals follow the money and the borders around DC are artificial. We operate as a region and pushing crime from one jurisdiction to another solves nothing.

But I'll indulge you...

"commuting crime" happens, yes, but nowhere near the level that intra-community crime happens. As I said and as how data is shown, crime is very concentrated.

Where is the data that shows this???

More crime happens in a specific area (usually around the criminal's home) than outside of it. Again, that's why crime is centralized.

That's definitely not true. Where's your data that speaks to this?

People may very well commute to steal or do whatever, but that still will lower crime all the same, at least in the newly gentrified area.

Crime and Gentrification

Most people simply aren't going to waste gas money cruising for people to commit crimes on. Not while gas is so high

That's a pretty naive assumption. Why would they care about gas when the first thing they usually do is use the victim's debit card to purchase it. Besides have you ever heard of the subway system?

You are assuming that developers want to build in those places and that's not necessarily true.
Besides I doubt that you can survive in most of those neighborhoods. BTW RI Ave is no joke you had better check the Crime stats over here too because this ain't Foggy Bottom.

Obviously, more places are desirable to others at the moment, but that's all subject to change. Look at Anacostia.

Look at what in Anacostia?? I'm over there all of the time and it's still a Sh%^tty mess. When was the last time you were over there genius? BTW You do realize that Anacostia is only one neighborhood in SE DC right?? There are several others that aren't even close to being Gentrified.

People didn't want to build or invest there 20 years ago. Now it's poised to boom. Hot spots move, andone never really knows where the next one will be. We can assume, however, that it will be near mass transit, especially considering how DC is trying to lower the amount of cars on its roads. Thus, that means there are still proverbial tons of places that are untapped housing and commercial markets.

Another example is Columbia Heights.
15 years ago it was nothing, and now new apts and businesses are popping up like crazy there. I'm not assuming developers want to build those places, I'm assuming people will go where there is mass transit and cheaper housing, both of which exist still within the District.

Partner, Columbia Heights started gentrifying way before 1999. And yes I do look at it all of the time. It's a classic example of how wide the rich, poor divide is in DC. Plus crime is pretty high there as well

Eviction and the Struggle over Fairmont House in Columbia Heights | Whose Downtown?

Wether I can survive or not is really besides the point of this conversation, so I won't entertain that ad hominem approach to this conversation.

It matters a lot if you're talking about moving to this area.

Bruh, you won't be Gentrifying RI Ave anytime soon. I live off of RI Ave. and it's already getting too expensive most people. Unless you're going to live in Edgewood Terrace or Brookland Manor or something. I mean you don't even have a job yet, how much money do you really think you're going to make fresh out of college? LMAO Who in the Hell calls themselves Middle Class, like you do without an income. I am Upper Middle Class, you are not. Right now you're a broke college student PERIOD. Your A$$ may be living in one of the cities many remaining Ghettos yourself if you're not careful because you're going to have a hell of a time finding a good paying job out here. You're in for a rude awakening when you finally stop playing on the internet and get into the real world.

However..

Wait for it.... maybe you can GENTRIFY one of those places. When you move in, make sure you tell them you're a Gentrifier and you've come to help they'll love you for it trust me .

l
Rhode Island Insider | Keeping up with what's going on along Rhode Island Ave NE

Rhode Island Avenue NE – Plans and Information | FoRIA

Rhode Island Avenue Corridor

Rhode Island Avenue, NE/Brentwood | WDCEP

Rhode Island Avenue - Greater Greater Washington

Curbed DC: Brookland Archives

All of these sites and many more either hint or talk about new developments and the effects of gentrification for Rhode Island/Brookland/NE. It seems like the place is already in the beginning stages of gentrification to me!

Do you actually read anything I say or are you just the master of stupid replies. I stated earlier that I don't believe that you would be able to afford anything desirable in Brookland or on RI Ave. at this point. Both places have been Gentrifying for years. The two Apt. complexes that I named in my comments are terrible. I was just saying those are the only places that you would be able to afford. You missed the satire totally.

And you even said that the place is "getting too expensive." That's textbook GENTRIFICATION! The residents, then are probably moving out due to price increases. That, again is textbook GENTRIFICATION.

Not really, most of the people in this area own their homes. If they leave it's generally voluntary. Most people either sale their house for some ridiculous price or they rent their homes out to some naive Gentrifier, like yourself for an inflated amount. Either way it's not really forced.

I'm actually getting paid pretty well for my research project, and it is one that I can do for at least the next 4 months. I, however, will be looking for permanent employment then in the meanwhile.

What do you consider pretty well?

Not broke at all. Again, I'm part of a paid research project.

Just because you get paid doesn't mean that you're not broke.

And, to be honest, I just might live in one of the cities ghettos once I get a job. But, considering I will probably be making more than some/most of my neighbors, that would make me...that's right! A gentrifier.

I don't care what you are. You keep talking about "me" and "you." Focus on the facts, and stop using diversions to escape the fact that your logic is flawed.

Bruh, I'd be glad to focus on the facts if you were presenting any. Up until now you haven't posted anything that would convince that you know what you're talking about. You're clearly not a critical thinker. You don't seem to be able to think outside of your small world. You use all of the classic Gentrifier talking points chapter and verse.

As for my soon-to-be neighbors knowing I'm a gentrifier, they'll probably already know it. I don't have a DC accent so they'll know I'm an outsider.

They won't need your help.

Yeah... you're probably right but I'll give them an assist anyway just to make sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 04:17 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,514,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcallday View Post
DC is still 50% Black and I just love how all of these new people simply want to move here and all of a sudden change our cultural norms so that they can feel more comfortable. I mean...it's an insult. If you don't like the people here or our culture, just go somewhere else that fits your style. There are plenty of lame "multicultural" cities to choose from. I'm so tired of Native Washingtonians being asked to sacrifice our city's culture to make these damn transplants more comfortable. You act as if we lobbied for you to move here or something. Do you ask people in New York, Boston, Philly, LA or Chicago to change/adjust their cultures. You wouldn't dare, why because those places are not majority AA and you have respect for the historically White culture that exist there. What needs to happen is new residents to DC need to embrace and respect our existing culture, just like we would have to do if we decided to move to another city. Either you all are going to adjust or we're just going to be fighting like cats and dogs for infinity. Because one thing I'll tell you about DC people is that we're head strong and we're all in when it comes to our city. If people think that these arguments on C-D are bad, you should see what's happening on a day to day basis in the streets and at many of these community meetings. Especially in neighborhoods that are being Gentrified in parts of NW and NE.
You really shouldn't make judgement about people, because I am not a transplant, I have lived in the DC region my whole life. To say that people can move to other "multicultural" cities instead of DC is incredibly racist as well, in my opinion. I, and anyone else, can live in DC if we want to, black people do not own the city. While the whole "are blacks still the majority" question is debatable, it is thought that DC is already a majority minority city, and if it isn't yet, it is expected to be by 2015. No, I wouldn't ask other cities to change their culture and that is because those cities have cultures entirely based around different types of people already, unlike DC. I'm sure the whites who lived here before blacks became the majority thought that blacks were changing the city's culture too, sometimes the culture of an area changes.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:25 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,514,380 times
I really hate how native Washingtonians need to turn every thread discussing the future of DC into a whole race issue. Can we get back to the original question?

Old 06-17-2014, 05:38 PM

131 posts, read 148,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
I really hate how native Washingtonians need to turn every thread discussing the future of DC into a whole race issue. Can we get back to the original question?
There are several people on this site who have failed at life OR have other issues and they just come here to whine and blame all their problems on racism.

I personally blame their problems on their crappy personalities which we all can see by reading what they write here (and not seeing their skin tone). I would never hire these people for a job or associate with them based on their attitude here.. regardless of their race. Get a grip.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:58 PM

492 posts, read 1,009,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcallday View Post
Yeah... you're probably right but I'll give them an assist anyway just to make sure.
Whatever. If you have that little of a life, be my guess. We all need hobbies

And to continue...

The fact that you seem to celebrate the form of Gentrification that is taking place DC already says that you are condoning it. You've repeatedly supported it over and over again in multiple threads. I'm not hyperbolizing anything. You've been called out several times by other posters, so let's not act like I'm the only person that thinks you don't want to cleanse DC of poor Black people. My problem with you is that you fail to realize the effects that this is having on people's lives. It's more them just displacement, it's the strain that moving has on poor families, the exploitation that occurs from landlords and developers and the increased police activity that unfairly targets poor and working class minorities , just so new more affluent residents can feel comfortable. One thing your degree from GW has not taught you is empathy and that's pretty sad.

Still hyperbolizing. Again, until I explicitly write something, don't assume it. You'll end up not making sense (like now, for instance).

I fail to realize the effects? Of course I see the effects. Most people do. What I am trying to tell you, however, is that wether people are being impacted or not means little to the city. The city will continue pushing HARD for gentrification. As far as they see (and they are right) there are still lots of places in DC that can be developed, and they plan on doing just that.

I do have empathy, but I'm also a realist. The city will try and lower its poor, one way or another. Is it sad? Yes. Is it unfair? Welcome to capitalism. I not apathetic to the situation, I just realize that in a city that's becoming more and more white collar, there is no space for uneducated people. And in a city that has been trying its damndest to be one of the most expensive in the country, neither do the poor.

This isn't about feelings. It's about profit and money.

Umm... please explain how my logic is twisted.

Your logic is twisted because you keep projecting and assuming things about me. You know very little about me, so stop attacking me and stick to the topic at hand.

I'm speaking to the fact that you seem to sugggestl that moving poor people a few miles one way or the other will all of a sudden solve DC's crime problem. I'm just stating that criminals follow the money and the borders around DC are artificial. We operate as a region and pushing crime from one jurisdiction to another solves nothing.

I'm suggesting that moving the poor (who disproportionately are more inclined to commit violent crimes, no matter the race) will certainly lower crime. It won't solve DC's crime problems, but it will lower the rate. You can't really debate that moving crime-prone people from one place won't lower said place's crime rate. That's just common sense.

Now, before you assume again, I am NOT saying that poor = criminal. What I am saying is that poor people, no matter the race, are disproportionately exposed to violent crime due to the economic constraints of poverty. Moving said group, then, will invariably lower crime. Wether people drive, get bussed in, or metro in the city to commit crimes is not debatable: It will happen. But crime nonetheless in the city will decrease, because the group most exposed to crime has left.

Where is the data that shows this???

OMG look at the articles I posted earlier. Read Wikipedia. I'm not debating this fact anymore, because now it's clear you're not reading facts.

That's a pretty naive assumption. Why would they care about gas when the first thing they usually do is use the victim's debit card to purchase it. Besides have you ever heard of the subway system?

Really? It's naive to think that someone would rather steal $50 from someone in a neighborhood within walking distance than waste x amount of money cruising for a sucker?

Look, clearly this will happen, but the people around the perpetrator's home will have more to worry about than nameless gentrifier in the center of the city. Data shows this! More crime happens around the criminal's home base than outside of it. How do you explain the fact that Anacostia has a higher rate of crime than Georgetown? It's because people are lazy and crime is centralized.

Before you combat that, please search for how crime is centralized. PLEASE! So you can STOP arguing facts

Look at what in Anacostia?? I'm over there all of the time and it's still a Sh%^tty mess. When was the last time you were over there genius? BTW You do realize that Anacostia is only one neighborhood in SE DC right?? There are several others that aren't even close to being Gentrified.

I don't think you're realizing how you're proving my point...

If you look it up, A LOT of developments are in the works for Anacostia. Again, its proximity to the Waterfront will be one of its major draws. OBVIOUSLY, Anacostia has not become infested with gentrifiers/developers quite yet, because the focus now is NoMa/H Street/Shaw (much like how Chinatown and Logan's Circle was before). Gentrification is a wave moving West to East. The Waterfront is beginning to feel it, and soon Anacostia will too.

Again, please research before posting. Anacostia has many things coming its way. The saddest and most ironic part is that many of those residents won't live there to experience it.

And as for the other ones, that's my point. They haven't been tapped into yet, because the wave hasn't hit their vicinity yet. Look at Columbia Heights, for example. Once that place started getting investment and cleaning itself up, the surrounding stops (i.e. Georgia Ave.) starting seeing rent rise and business move in. There's a ripple effect that happens, and one that will happen to the SE once Anacostia gets hit.

Partner, Columbia Heights started gentrifying way before 1999. And yes I do look at it all of the time. It's a classic example of how wide the rich, poor divide is in DC. Plus crime is pretty high there as well
Maybe it did. That still proves my point tho about how the city is pushing the poor while businesses grow and more residents move in. The gap between rich and poor there is stark, yes, but so is all of DC. And crime is high there because, as I said earlier, crime happens around the vicinity of criminals. There are still loads of shady characters in CoHi, so crime is expected.

It matters a lot if you're talking about moving to this area.

But again, this conversation is not about me. We don't need to bring me up at all. I haven't with you. Why? Because you don't matter in the context of this convo, and neither do I.

Do you actually read anything I say or are you just the master of stupid replies. I stated earlier that I don't believe that you would be able to afford anything desirable in Brookland or on RI Ave. at this point. Both places have been Gentrifying for years. The two Apt. complexes that I named in my comments are terrible. I was just saying those are the only places that you would be able to afford. You missed the satire totally.

I also missed you proving my point about gentrification. I can't afford the place because I am too poor to live there. What's more, that area is being fixed because the stop before it, NoMa, is being fixed.

See the ripple effect?

You're proving my points here, but I digress...

Not really, most of the people in this area own their homes. If they leave it's generally voluntary. Most people either sale their house for some ridiculous price or they rent their homes out to some naive Gentrifier, like yourself for an inflated amount. Either way it's not really forced.

Clearly homeowners have an advantage here. They can get paid by developers/gentrifiers/the city to leave, and can make a nice profit. But we aren't talking about them. We are talking about the people who have lived in the area (i.e. the District) for generations and DO NOT own the property. THey have no claims to stop development or anything because, techinically, the space isn't theirs. Obviously homeowners are different. Why would you bring them up.

The homeowners can make bank off of this whole gentrification thing. It's the non-homeowners -yuppies, poor blacks, buppies, natives, etc.- who are being royally screwed by home prices in the whole scheme.

What do you consider pretty well?....Just because you get paid doesn't mean that you're not broke.
Yeah...not going to talk about my paycheck or anything similar to on here, at least not in this context.

And again, ad hominem approaches to this convo are useless. It's also indicative of one grasping at straws and losing the proverbial duel.

Bruh, I'd be glad to focus on the facts if you were presenting any. Up until now you haven't posted anything that would convince that you know what you're talking about. You're clearly not a critical thinker. You don't seem to be able to think outside of your small world. You use all of the classic Gentrifier talking points chapter and verse.

I implore to read our exchanges again. I've provided you with data and websites, as well as well thought out logic. I shouldn't have to hand-feed you info. Just use google and look and see how right I am.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:55 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,359,751 times
You all need to relax. Seriously

Old 06-19-2014, 02:44 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,728,669 times
Ok, enough is enough. If I see any more fighting here, those fighting will enjoy a week long time out. Yes, even if you are not the one who started it, or if you are "right". Behave like adults, what is this, junior high ? Seriously...
Yac.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:01 AM

Thank you, Yac.

So to continue...

Should the metro extend its hours?

I can't imagine the metro being open 24 hours, but I do think that the times are too small. As the city diversifies its economic base to things like entertainment, people will want to be in the city and go about their business. I also think that can help slow this crazy housing price spike.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:07 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
Angry I have returned!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
Thank you, Yac.

So to continue...

Should the metro extend its hours?

I can't imagine the metro being open 24 hours, but I do think that the times are too small. As the city diversifies its economic base to things like entertainment, people will want to be in the city and go about their business. I also think that can help slow this crazy housing price spike.
I was thinking that maybe Metro could apply 24 hour service on certain lines that goes through some heavily concentrated nightlife hotspots such as the Yellow Line or Red Line from Thursdays to Saturdays, but of course, track work is a constant sight on the Metro during the weekends. I also thought that maybe the Silver Line should've received 24hr service during the weekends since it will not only go through a handful of nightlife districts such as much of Arlington and will be close to 8th Street SE (Eastern Market station), but it will also go through major employment and commercial centers such as Tyson's Corner, IAD, Innovation Center, Arlington, L'Enfant Plaza, Metro Center, and the Smithsonian.

But alas, I too believe that 24hr service is probably still a tall order at the moment, so maybe Metro can push its closure to one more hour instead during the weekends and maybe close around say 2:45am during most of the weekdays.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
I was thinking that maybe Metro could apply 24 hour service on certain lines that goes through some heavily concentrated nightlife hotspots such as the Yellow Line or Red Line from Thursdays to Saturdays, but of course, track work is a constant sight on the Metro during the weekends. I also thought that maybe the Silver Line should've received 24hr service during the weekends since it will not only go through a handful of nightlife districts such as much of Arlington and will be close to 8th Street SE (Eastern Market station), but it will also go through major employment and commercial centers such as Tyson's Corner, IAD, Innovation Center, Arlington, L'Enfant Plaza, Metro Center, and the Smithsonian.

But alas, I too believe that 24hr service is probably still a tall order at the moment, so maybe Metro can push its closure to one more hour instead during the weekends and maybe close around say 2:45am during most of the weekdays.
Yeah the stickler is the constant construction that is done on the metro.

I'm confused as to why the Metro doesn't just add an extra hour in general and when the metro is closed have workers work then as well.

But it's irritating how early the metro closes. I suspect this will become a more pressing issue as more and more young people enter the city, thus pushing out further out of the center and therefore in need of a later metro. I hope the metro is prepared for that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC