Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2014, 08:26 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,944,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Zen View Post
Poverty is bad. Some people having more than others is not bad. Unless you're a communist.
A truism and a red blooded insult. I guess gini coefficients are secret tools for the revolution. Who know?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 09:36 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,409,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Zen View Post
Actually that's totally false.
I don't see how.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:38 AM

795 posts, read 1,269,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
How do you guys feel about the DC Circulator possibly expanding and increasing its routes? Personally, I think it would be a great idea. So many of the buses in the city are incredibly unreliable and the Circulator is a cheaper option.

They just need more seats!

Circulator 10 Year Plan | DC Circulator

Personally, I think the blue circulator should go further up and meet the green one. I also think there should be one linking Brookland/NE with Union Station or another line.
Will be great if people can figure out where to go... and if the busses run on time. Face it, there are times when "metro" makes some idiotic decisions on routes at any given time (I'm sure justified... I'm talking from consumer perspective). Plus, hell, I don't want to be outside waiting for a bus... not the worst thing in the world, but I'm not going to do it. Raining and cold and they are 30 min late (guess I could dress properly. lol).

I "feel" that something else is needed. Something that moves DC forward... makes people go "wow"... something that works.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:00 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,219,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_of_DC View Post
Will be great if people can figure out where to go... and if the busses run on time. Face it, there are times when "metro" makes some idiotic decisions on routes at any given time (I'm sure justified... I'm talking from consumer perspective). Plus, hell, I don't want to be outside waiting for a bus... not the worst thing in the world, but I'm not going to do it. Raining and cold and they are 30 min late (guess I could dress properly. lol).

I "feel" that something else is needed. Something that moves DC forward... makes people go "wow"... something that works.
Hmmm, how about 24hr service on certain MetroRail lines during the weekends? Or adding in a third track on future lines? WMATA could've studied both of those options out during the design and planning stages of the Silver Line, especially with later connection to Dulles International Airport.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:25 AM

131 posts, read 148,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
I don't see how.
Its false because DC is not one of the last frontiers. It was briefly during the peak of the recession, but it isn't know. Several other U.S. cities are booming too.

And when you say America's resources are drying up.. which resources are you talking about?

Old 06-15-2014, 11:12 AM

492 posts, read 1,009,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Hmmm, how about 24hr service on certain MetroRail lines during the weekends? Or adding in a third track on future lines? WMATA could've studied both of those options out during the design and planning stages of the Silver Line, especially with later connection to Dulles International Airport.
For some reason, I don't see the Metro ever being a 24hr service one, at least not for quite a while. The city first needs to not have a curfew, and have strong enough industries outside of government stuff for people to want to take the Silver line to Metro Center at 4:43 in the morning. I do see them extending the times, however. They've already upped it by an hour since I started going to school here.

A cheaper alternative would be to make the circulator or the buses 24hrs. They would be that much more reliable that way, as well as cheaper for the customer. That and/or the streetcars could also be 24 hrs.

Caveat: Tysons' has WAY too many stops. 4? Really?

Old 06-15-2014, 11:24 AM

492 posts, read 1,009,407 times
Quote:

I can't speak for the other busses, but the circulator is fairly consistent (though, they should add maybe 2 more busses during rush hour/national holidays/etc.). I use them fairly frequently, and they come maybe every 10-15 minutes depending.

The sole reason that I do not use the other busses is how confusing they are. Their routes are so damn confusing that you just give up even trying. Compound that with how unreliable they are, and the Circulator becomes the only real option. Compare the bus routes map at the link here:

New, better, diagrammatic Metrobus maps are here - Greater Greater Washington

With the Circulator map here:

Circulator Route Map | DC Circulator

It just doesn't make sense. I know I'm not the only one. Hopefully in a few years they can figure out how to fix those routes and the map.

That or just expand the Circulator so much as to make many of the routes obsolete.

The waiting for a bus can be a pain, yes. But for those who do not live near a metro nor own/want to own a car (such as myself), we unfortunately have to deal. Which is why I think streetcars can be so useful. They'll have their own dedicated lane on the street, so rush hour wouldn't be an issue and the timing will be consistent. They could even make an app telling you when one is coming, so you spend even less time waiting at the stop.

And yes, you are so right. DC needs something outside of the Museums, Monuments, and the Government to "get" people. It needs an "it" factor like cities on its level (i.e. Boston, Miami, Atlanta, Seattle) has. Something to make it a cut above the rest of them.

I'm not quite sure what that can be yet, however.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:13 PM

795 posts, read 1,269,153 times
Quote:
I still think the silver line was for those in VA to attend football games easily. I know, I'm wrong, but it is what I think. Ha, ha....

But yes, an expansion of the underground... or make it above ground, if you can make something quiet.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:40 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,219,896 times
Quote:
I still think the silver line was for those in VA to attend football games easily. I know, I'm wrong, but it is what I think. Ha, ha....

But yes, an expansion of the underground... or make it above ground, if you can make something quiet.
Something quiet for above ground...Hmmm, perhaps Metro can take cues from the subway systems in Paris, Montreal, and Toronto. The trains on those systems incorporate rubber tires to reduce the sound of the cars grinding by on the tracks to a significant degree.

And lol, that could be one of the main purposes for the Silver Line since it will share with the Blue Line as well. But of course, connecting to IAD and Tyson's Corner were the first main priorities for the SL to go that deep into VA. As for the 4 stations in Tyson's, kinda makes sense to me. Especially when you consider that TC is one of this country's fastest-growing and biggest edge cities. It's transitioning from being a massive suburban office park to a major regional destination for retail, commerce, fashion (the Galleria), dining, Government, and media. A major employment center where people will not only work but also live and play.

Last edited by tcave360; 06-15-2014 at 12:56 PM..

Old 06-15-2014, 12:51 PM

131 posts, read 148,877 times
Quote:
Something quiet for above ground...Hmmm, perhaps Metro can take cues from the subway systems in Paris, Montreal, and Toronto. The trains on those systems incorporate rubber tires to reduce the sound of the cars grinding by on the tracks to a significant degree.
Those rubber tires have to be replaced constantly. They can also go flat.

Its great for a smooth ride but its not that practical in reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC