Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 03:15 PM

492 posts, read 1,009,157 times

Advertisements

I thought here we could discuss what our predictions are for the The Capital. This could range anywhere from Demographic changes, cultural changes, neighborhood changes...Really anything that you personally have felt is coming to the area in the next 5/6 years.

With how fast the place is developing, we obviously cannot make hard and true predictions, but common sense does lend itself to a few things.

My Predictions:

DC will continue to become incredibly overpriced, with no end in sight. Due to height restrictions (which I am FOR, for the record) and the city's inherent (and growing draw), COL will continue to rise, because there will always be someone who is willing to pay top $$$ to be walking distance from Union Station

Gentrification will shift to the SE area, especially once the Waterfront and the Bridge Park developments are completed. People will hoot and holler, but by then we all will know the drill.

The city will become even more multicultural, cosmopolitan, and a tourist destination. Clearly, it already is those things, but tourists will go to new places for sight-seeing, like H St., U St., the Anacostia Waterfront, etc. Because SO many place are developing distinct styles and characters, tourists and newcomers will be sprinkled all over the city.

Georgetown plateaus/declines. Gtown's main problem is that it has not metro. Yes, it has X amount of buses, and you have the circulator, and the Foggy Bottom metro isn't that far, but with NoMa developing the way it has, and with CityCenter near other attractions, Gtown will see more places closing up shop. Gtown may even become affordable!

Nightlife/Culture/Population shifts east. I see Foggy Bottom, Dupont, and Gtown losing their hegemony on prime real estate, with NoMa, Shaw, Mt. Vernon Square becoming the new spots. They have easier access to the green, yellow, and red lines, and the local economies will grow large enough where young people move to those areas and work/play there as well.

Streetcars will be a success. Despite huffing and hawing, I have a lot of faith in the streetcars, especially due to the potential of H St. The only thing missing is public transportation to make it really boom, and it may be something that rivals U st in 10+ years.

The city will become more than just a rest stop. People wil begin to really invest themselves in the city and stay, creating a true DC culture, complete with its own music, fashion, lingo, and whatnot. We already see it with how much Washingtonians love wine and happy hours. I'm excited to see what comes next.

There will start to be a very clear definition between rich and poor blacks. Some of the main people gentrifying black and blighted areas are buppies (black yuppies). This will likely continue and I see the poor black population being dispersed around the outskirts of the city, while places like Anacostia, Rhode Island Ave., and Shaw having much more educated blacks,

The city will become even more competitive, stressful, and educated. This is a very mixed-bag, but it's safe to say that our Capital is finally seeing its own potential. That is going to make it incredibly competitive, and since this is already a stressful environment, who knows what will happen.

Weed legalization will have a profound effect on the city. I honestly see it following the steps of Colorado, and perhaps even opening cafes not unlike Amsterdam. This will be a way for high-stressed Washingtonians to unwind, and will also be a cultural marker for the East Coast city.

That's all I can think for now! What are everyone else's thoughts?

Last edited by DginnWonder; 06-10-2014 at 03:16 PM.. Reason: Needed to bold the points
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 03:34 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,576,476 times
If someone is willing to pay the price, then it's not overpriced.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:54 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,215,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
I thought here we could discuss what our predictions are for the The Capital. This could range anywhere from Demographic changes, cultural changes, neighborhood changes...Really anything that you personally have felt is coming to the area in the next 5/6 years.

With how fast the place is developing, we obviously cannot make hard and true predictions, but common sense does lend itself to a few things.

My Predictions:

DC will continue to become incredibly overpriced, with no end in sight. Due to height restrictions (which I am FOR, for the record) and the city's inherent (and growing draw), COL will continue to rise, because there will always be someone who is willing to pay top $$$ to be walking distance from Union Station

Gentrification will shift to the SE area, especially once the Waterfront and the Bridge Park developments are completed. People will hoot and holler, but by then we all will know the drill.

The city will become even more multicultural, cosmopolitan, and a tourist destination. Clearly, it already is those things, but tourists will go to new places for sight-seeing, like H St., U St., the Anacostia Waterfront, etc. Because SO many place are developing distinct styles and characters, tourists and newcomers will be sprinkled all over the city.

Georgetown plateaus/declines. Gtown's main problem is that it has not metro. Yes, it has X amount of buses, and you have the circulator, and the Foggy Bottom metro isn't that far, but with NoMa developing the way it has, and with CityCenter near other attractions, Gtown will see more places closing up shop. Gtown may even become affordable!

Nightlife/Culture/Population shifts east. I see Foggy Bottom, Dupont, and Gtown losing their hegemony on prime real estate, with NoMa, Shaw, Mt. Vernon Square becoming the new spots. They have easier access to the green, yellow, and red lines, and the local economies will grow large enough where young people move to those areas and work/play there as well.

Streetcars will be a success. Despite huffing and hawing, I have a lot of faith in the streetcars, especially due to the potential of H St. The only thing missing is public transportation to make it really boom, and it may be something that rivals U st in 10+ years.

The city will become more than just a rest stop. People wil begin to really invest themselves in the city and stay, creating a true DC culture, complete with its own music, fashion, lingo, and whatnot. We already see it with how much Washingtonians love wine and happy hours. I'm excited to see what comes next.

There will start to be a very clear definition between rich and poor blacks. Some of the main people gentrifying black and blighted areas are buppies (black yuppies). This will likely continue and I see the poor black population being dispersed around the outskirts of the city, while places like Anacostia, Rhode Island Ave., and Shaw having much more educated blacks,

The city will become even more competitive, stressful, and educated. This is a very mixed-bag, but it's safe to say that our Capital is finally seeing its own potential. That is going to make it incredibly competitive, and since this is already a stressful environment, who knows what will happen.

Weed legalization will have a profound effect on the city. I honestly see it following the steps of Colorado, and perhaps even opening cafes not unlike Amsterdam. This will be a way for high-stressed Washingtonians to unwind, and will also be a cultural marker for the East Coast city.

That's all I can think for now! What are everyone else's thoughts?
On the rest stop category, there is a local DC culture with its own lingo, accent, music, and fashion. It's the local black community that has been around for a few generations. Other than that, I agree with the rest of your predictions.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:51 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,514,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
On the rest stop category, there is a local DC culture with its own lingo, accent, music, and fashion. It's the local black community that has been around for a few generations. Other than that, I agree with the rest of your predictions.
Yes you are right, however that culture has been fading for over a decade now. As the city becomes more diverse that culture will begin to be nonexistent. Replaced by a culture that every race in the city can share

Old 06-11-2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
Yes you are right, however that culture has been fading for over a decade now. As the city becomes more diverse that culture will begin to be nonexistent. Replaced by a culture that every race in the city can share
I agree. With the amount of transplants setting up shop, I have even noticed a stigma against speaking like a native, especially amongst the buppie crowd. The fear, to be honest, is that you will be associated with native (re: poor) Washingtonians, which can hurt your appeal in the long term.

DC will likely begin to have a definitive accent and such with some old washingtonian undertones.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:33 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
People like this have an agenda to turn Washington DC
from Chocolate city into Cracker City. That's it.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
People like this have an agenda to turn Washington DC
from Chocolate city into Cracker City. That's it.
I hope you're not referring to me, because that would make no sense, considering I am black.

I am what you may call a buppie, and I am all for a better DC. I remember when I lived here in 2000/2001 and how terrible the place was, how divided and SCARY it was. When U st. was only a mere thought and no one would have dreamed of living near Shaw and such. Will many blacks be displaced with these coming changes? You bet! But I think that has as much to do with economics and education than race. Many blacks from around the country (including myself) are setting up shop here, and ushering in more educated, middle- and upper-class people of color. Unfortunately, the public school system in DC is a joke and many blacks native to here are woefully ill-prepared to handle this coming Capital boomtown. Wether it's their fault or not is kind of a moot point. The point is that they will likely be moved either directly by order of the city or indirectly by prices. This will mean that other people will move in, and yes that includes non-blacks, but the city will always have a large and significant black population and influence. There are simply too many of us (rich and poor) in the area for there not to be.

I am not saying the city will become "Cracker City" (as you say), but rather a RICHER Chocolate City. I am sick and tired of the ghetto attitude of many of the poor blacks here, and many of my black friends are too. It's embarrassing and inexcusable. And yes, you've heard this from a black male.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:20 AM

465 posts, read 658,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
I hope you're not referring to me, because that would make no sense, considering I am black.

I am what you may call a buppie, and I am all for a better DC. I remember when I lived here in 2000/2001 and how terrible the place was, how divided and SCARY it was. When U st. was only a mere thought and no one would have dreamed of living near Shaw and such. Will many blacks be displaced with these coming changes? You bet! But I think that has as much to do with economics and education than race. Many blacks from around the country (including myself) are setting up shop here, and ushering in more educated, middle- and upper-class people of color. Unfortunately, the public school system in DC is a joke and many blacks native to here are woefully ill-prepared to handle this coming Capital boomtown. Wether it's their fault or not is kind of a moot point. The point is that they will likely be moved either directly by order of the city or indirectly by prices. This will mean that other people will move in, and yes that includes non-blacks, but the city will always have a large and significant black population and influence. There are simply too many of us (rich and poor) in the area for there not to be.

I am not saying the city will become "Cracker City" (as you say), but rather a RICHER Chocolate City. I am sick and tired of the ghetto attitude of many of the poor blacks here, and many of my black friends are too. It's embarrassing and inexcusable. And yes, you've heard this from a black male.

Well... as a new AA to the city are you doing anything to assist the poor AA population that you seem detest so much. BTW their are many of use that were born and raised in this city that are educated and have ascended to the Middle-Class as well. So I'd be careful about pushing these stereotypes about Native Washingtonians being poor and uneducated because that's certainly not true. SMH

Old 06-11-2014, 11:21 AM

465 posts, read 658,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
I'm sorry... why can't new people that move here share the local culture that exist in DC right now?

Old 06-11-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcallday View Post
Well... as a new AA to the city are you doing anything to assist the poor AA population that you seem detest so much. BTW their are many of use that were born and raised in this city that are educated and have ascended to the Middle-Class as well. So I'd be careful about pushing these stereotypes about Native Washingtonians being poor and uneducated because that's certainly not true. SMH
Actually, I do. I am specifically trying to teach some of the youth other languages, so that they can be more competitive in the work force. Yes, some of them make it difficult, but that has absolutely nothing to do with them or their race, and more to do with how growing up in poverty can make someone (understandably) bitter and cynical.

Furthermore, I'm tired of that argument about "What have YOU done to help US?". Does that not seem a little selfish, rude, and offensive to you? Help yourself!

And I never said that every black native to here was like that, because I KNOW that's not true (it's also impossible. Really? EVERY single black Washingtonian is like that? REALLY???). But the fact remains that certain metro lines (re: green and yellow) have a deservedly bad reputation for unruliness and general bad behavior because of some of these blacks who, quite frankly, EMBARRASS me as another black person. If they do not embarrass you, then I don't know what to tell you, but every other black person with whom I've conversed about the subject is also at least weary of many of the poor blacks here. I can't say what is going to happen to them in the next few years is right, but I can say that this city needs to be safer and more educated, and that means that many of the poorer blacks will be shipped out (essentially) and wealthier, better educated blacks (such as yourself) will come in/stay.

But to get more on topic...

I see the university's of the city getting much better, riding the wave of the city's growth. I especially feel that way about George Washington University and Howard University, probably the most "DC" of the schools (with the exception of UDC, which is ACTUALLY the uni of DC). These two are located in prime real estate, and the area around Howard is already poised to boom big time. I see Howard moving up the ranks and having an even greater pull in the city as time goes on, especially as more students decide to stay in DC and the middle/upper class black populations move back into the city.

I also do not think that the Asian population will grow all that much in DC. I think the suburbs will see a larger increase in Asians due to having better school districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC