Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2014, 01:23 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,219,896 times

Advertisements

With NoMa and the upcoming SW Waterfront project along with a new Eco-District in SW and a new stadium in Buzzard Point, I wonder if it's safe to assume that DC will be one of those very few cities in the country to have more than one downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 02:52 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,130 posts, read 7,581,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
It's unfortunate that that happened, but I still ask that we try and push forward.

What are your predictions for the near future of DC?
I honestly agreed with pretty much all of your original post. Things look promising id like to see at least two of the streetcar legs complete by then but at this rate, not happening. I expect the fill in around downtown to continue and densify. As stated earlier SW will really pick up with Waterfront being built up. And at least some concrete plan for what to do around RFK "if" and after United's stadium is built. I agree the areas south of downtown will all begin to connect better hopefully creating another core area in itself.

On a metro area level, things will become even more congested, even if growth slows (which as a whole hasn't yet). I do like many of the transit projects/options that are coming or proposed. Things will never be perfect but looking forward to Purple line and possibly CCT coming to MD. We'll see how things in Arlington turn out with the proposed streetcar and hopefully they prove to be more efficient than DDOT. I see Tysons growing more towards being the lead edge city in the metro with infill probably picking up quickly the next few years.

Last edited by the resident09; 06-13-2014 at 03:02 PM..

Old 06-13-2014, 04:18 PM

465 posts, read 658,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
The native accent actually got recognized in the mainstream. Cleveland Brown's accent IN the Cleveland Show from FOX is actually taken from the DC area - or should I say "urrea." Watch an episode. He says, "Tury" for Terry, etc.

This dude won't answer the question anyway, so it doesn't matter. The answer is he doesn't want the GOOD White folks/ Transplants to think that he's one of those ignorant, poor, Ghetto Black DC Natives.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:24 PM

131 posts, read 148,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I honestly agreed with pretty much all of your original post. Things look promising id like to see at least two of the streetcar legs complete by then but at this rate, not happening. I expect the fill in around downtown to continue and densify. As stated earlier SW will really pick up with Waterfront being built up. And at least some concrete plan for what to do around RFK "if" and after United's stadium is built. I agree the areas south of downtown will all begin to connect better hopefully creating another core area in itself.

On a metro area level, things will become even more congested, even if growth slows (which as a whole hasn't yet). I do like many of the transit projects/options that are coming or proposed. Things will never be perfect but looking forward to Purple line and possibly CCT coming to MD. We'll see how things in Arlington turn out with the proposed streetcar and hopefully they prove to be more efficient than DDOT. I see Tysons growing more towards being the lead edge city in the metro with infill probably picking up quickly the next few years.
Growth won't stop in DC for a very, very, very long time. We are on the cusp of a new era of expansion and prosperity nationwide and it will be a very long time before another significant recession. DC being the capital of a world superpower.. it only makes sense for it to start looking and acting like one. This trend will not reverse either.

People who say certain parts of DC culture will never change are dead wrong also. DC will keep growing and getting more expensive as it becomes a place more people want to live. The main reason people want to live in large cities like New York, LA and Chicago is because of opportunities. If you want to live way out in the sticks.. then you will have a very narrow range of career options. Only the city can offer certain careers and lifestyles. If you want it.. you must come. So people will keep coming.

Also.. with all the growth and people coming from all over the world.. it will lead to more diversity in food, activities, cultural events, entertainment, etc. as supply always works to meet demand. We have been seeing this occur consistently since the rush to DC began.

DC won't slow down anytime soon. BELIEVE THAT. And yes.. the poor will continue to be pushed out and they won't be coming back. Believe that too.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:31 PM

44 posts, read 51,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Zen View Post

DC won't slow down anytime soon. BELIEVE THAT. And yes.. the poor will continue to be pushed out and they won't be coming back. Believe that too.
Don't be so sure, history repeats itself. NYC, LA, and Chicago all still have large swaths of poverty that is not going away anytime soon, if ever. DC is much smaller than those cities but best believe the DC area will have poor people forever. All it takes is for a downsizing in the gov't and DC will stagnate and balance out. It'll happen and you heard it here first.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202DCtoNYC718 View Post
Don't be so sure, history repeats itself. NYC, LA, and Chicago all still have large swaths of poverty that is not going away anytime soon, if ever. DC is much smaller than those cities but best believe the DC area will have poor people forever. All it takes is for a downsizing in the gov't and DC will stagnate and balance out. It'll happen and you heard it here first.
Of course there will always be poor people in DC (or the DC area). I never said 100% of poverty in DC will disappear. I also said.. the current trend will continue for a very long time. There is a big difference in saying "a long time" and saying "forever".

However.. I doubt we will ever see a reversal of the "move to the cities" with suburban sprawl making a return. I think suburban sprawl is dead for the foreseeable future. Why? Simply because it has become too expensive. In a world with a rising population and limited resources.. cities are the most practical way to sustain the population. This is why they exist in the first place.

I think most of the poor in large cities will be pushed to the outskirts of cities and beyond where resources are less accessible and lower quality. Similar to how the poor live in middle America. The class system among humans is so deeply ingrained in our DNA that I doubt we will ever see a world where the upper class doesn't try to separate itself from the lower class. Ain't gonna happen.The cities will be a place mostly for the rich and middle class with a few poor sprinkled in here and there. Believe that.

I'm not saying its right. I'm just saying how it is. This is how human beings roll and always have.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:51 PM

44 posts, read 51,913 times
Quote:
Of course there will always be poor people in DC (or the DC area). I never said 100% of poverty in DC will disappear. I also said.. the current trend will continue for a very long time. There is a big difference in saying "a long time" and saying "forever".

However.. I doubt we will ever see a reversal of the "move to the cities" with suburban sprawl making a return. I think suburban sprawl is dead for the foreseeable future. Why? Simply because it has become too expensive. In a world with a rising population and limited resources.. cities are the most practical way to sustain the population. This is why they exist in the first place.

I think most of the poor in large cities will be pushed to the outskirts of cities and beyond where resources are less accessible and lower quality. Similar to how the poor live in middle America. The class system among humans is so deeply ingrained in our DNA that I doubt we will ever see a world where the upper class doesn't try to separate itself from the lower class. Ain't gonna happen.The cities will be a place mostly for the rich and middle class with a few poor sprinkled in here and there. Believe that.

I'm not saying its right. I'm just saying how it is. This is how human beings roll and always have.
I understand what your saying but you don't think that one day the suburbs won't become popular in America again and the poor will be priced out of the suburbs and moved back into urban areas? I know it's an interesting theory but it's possible.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202DCtoNYC718 View Post
I understand what your saying but you don't think that one day the suburbs won't become popular in America again and the poor will be priced out of the suburbs and moved back into urban areas? I know it's an interesting theory but it's possible.
No I don't think that will happen again and I already explained why:

1. Urban sprawl is too expensive

2. Population rising

3. Limited resources in the world

When urban sprawl started the first time the world population was around 3 or 4 billion. Today it is 7 billion. How much freakin' land do you think we have dude?

Old 06-13-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Growth won't stop in DC for a very, very, very long time. We are on the cusp of a new era of expansion and prosperity nationwide and it will be a very long time before another significant recession. DC being the capital of a world superpower.. it only makes sense for it to start looking and acting like one. This trend will not reverse either.

People who say certain parts of DC culture will never change are dead wrong also. DC will keep growing and getting more expensive as it becomes a place more people want to live. The main reason people want to live in large cities like New York, LA and Chicago is because of opportunities. If you want to live way out in the sticks.. then you will have a very narrow range of career options. Only the city can offer certain careers and lifestyles. If you want it.. you must come. So people will keep coming.

Also.. with all the growth and people coming from all over the world.. it will lead to more diversity in food, activities, cultural events, entertainment, etc. as supply always works to meet demand. We have been seeing this occur consistently since the rush to DC began.

Oh lord, another Gentrifying loving propaganda artist. Ok partner..whatever you say but, for you to think that clearly means that you don't understand how the economy works in DC. As the U.S. economy continues to grow, it's a safe bet that the economy in DC will suffer, maybe not fall apart completely but the good times will certainly not keep rolling like they have been here lately. But...whatever makes a hater of the poor happy I guess.

D.C. area posts its weakest job growth since the recession - The Washington Post

Mayor Gray: Spending cuts have slowed down D.C.'s economy | WJLA.com

CFO Forecasts the End of D.C.’s Population Boom - Housing Complex

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/13/ma...anted=all&_r=0

Are Boomtown D.C.?s Days Numbered? - NationalJournal.com

Old 06-13-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
No I don't think that will happen again and I already explained why:

1. Urban sprawl is too expensive

2. Population rising

3. Limited resources in the world

When urban sprawl started the first time the world population was around 3 or 4 billion. Today it is 7 billion. How much freakin' land do you think we have dude?

In the US? A Sh%%Tload is the answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC