Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 06:42 AM

34 posts, read 76,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Whenever I encounter a "wall" of idiots going 55 in all lanes, I simply go onto the HOV lane temporarily. I don't have patience for such idiocy.
Unfortunately Washington is not unique for this, that happens here in Oklahoma at times as well. All 2 or sometimes 3 lanes will be taken up by cars doing 60-ish in a 65. While I'm trying to get to work.

It is somewhat infuriating... I do my best to keep a cool head but sometimes I just do not have the time for that kind of stunt and simply have to use an illegal maneuver to get around them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 07:34 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,048,872 times
Most "self-identified good drivers" pride themselves on their ability to go fast and change lanes "safely".

Most of them are responsible for the urban traffic congestion. Here is a link to an article on traffic managment: http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/02/anttraffic/.

In other studies it showed that urban areas can significantly reduce congestion by:

1) Reduce speeds to 45 MPH. While counter-intuitive in congested areas it results in lane changes with stopping or braking of following traffic thus not slowly the flow.

2) Reduce lane changes. This is the one factor that causes urban traffic congestion. Right....you did not notice any impact, but you can see the ripple effect and on congestion caused by frequent lane changes on any traffic modeling. This is the major cause of slowing traffic in urban areas.

3) Eliminate emissions testing and focus on "mechanical reliability" of a vehicle. Lots of traffic congestion is caused by breakdowns of vehicles. Once a vehicle breaks down in traffic....well you know what happens.

4) Pre-position tow trucks during rush hour to move vehicles out of traffic as a result of mechanical breakdowns and vehicle accidents. A mechanical breakdown is very EXPENSIVE to other drivers stuck in traffic.

Of course, these four simple steps will result in a significant loss of self-esteem for "good" drivers. Self-esteem is important in today's society so urban drivers will probably just rather sit in traffic.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:56 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igork View Post
It is somewhat infuriating... I do my best to keep a cool head but sometimes I just do not have the time for that kind of stunt and simply have to use an illegal maneuver to get around them.
I'm really guilty of getting very frustrated with moving road-blocks as well. It's funny, though, that the extra 5mph is really not going to save you a whole lot of time unless you're on a really long drive. Driving 20 miles at 60 mph takes 90 seconds longer than driving 20 miles at 65 mph. You'll probably spend most of that time waiting for the light on the off-ramp.

My frustration is borne of the fact that the people in the left-most lanes are completely oblivious to their surroundings. Unaware (and insecure/timid) drivers can be dangerous no matter what speed they're traveling.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:48 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,461,907 times
The tailgater vs. left-lane slowpoke debate will never end. When I see someone held up by a left-lane slowpoke, my sympathy depends on whether they are tailgating the slowpoke. If they are still keeping a safe following distance, then they're being wronged. If they're tailgating, absolutely zero sympathy and I hope it takes them two extra hours and that their blood pressure spikes. Anyone who can count to two can maintain a safe following distance. They'd tailgate anyone, for the most part, no matter what that person's speed and no matter what the lane, which makes them lousy drivers. Or, if they tailgate just to send a message, that's even worse. That makes them road bullies as well as lousy drivers. More common in Oregon than Washington in my experience.

It does amaze me just how many people think the speed limit is a minimum rather than a maximum. Think on it. People think it's a minimum, which one must at least match and should always exceed. Did they read the sign wrong and interpret it as meaning the lower limit? Is that actually what the law says, and I've had it wrong the whole time?

Old 03-21-2011, 04:50 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,048,872 times
The speed limit is the both a maximum and recommended minimum (IF TRAFFIC CONDITIONS OR WEATHER WARRANT).

IF people would just stay in one lane....for example if you have 20 miles before your off-ramp get in the left lane and flow with the traffic. IF your exit is within four miles or so get in the right lane ready to exit.

But don't change lanes because you think the other lane is moving faster!!!!

Old 03-24-2011, 09:52 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,974 times
I actually find drivers fairly courteous out here, for the most part. I've been here almost a year, and the only thing I've noticed is how much people slow down when it rains. You'd think people would be used to rain around Seattle, but I guess better safe than sorry.

Before we came here, we lived in the D.C. area. When you've dealt with Capital Beltway traffic, everything else seems like a breeze in comparison. D.C. has some of the most rude, high-strung, aggressive people I've ever encountered, and they're no different on the roads.

Plus, drivers actually stop for pedestrians out here! When my wife and I came out here for the first time a few years ago, we were sightseeing in downtown Seattle and crossed the street down around Pioneer Square. Neither one of us saw a car coming around a corner. But he slowed down and waved us across. In D.C., the driver would honk at you and flip you the bird as he sped by.

It's all relative.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:48 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,461,907 times
It's good to slow down if there's rain after a period of dryness, as oil accumulates on the roads and the water moves it around, creating slickness. However, in western Washington winters there aren't long periods of dryness very often. Eastern Washington is of course another story...I'm very careful when it hasn't rained for a month and we finally get some.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:21 AM

2 posts, read 4,554 times
WA drivers suck and will always suck. I frequently see bumper stickers here in WA that say "Washington Drivers Suck!" There's also a face on the bumper sticker clenching teeth, grimacing, and looking all frustrated and pissed off...........funny.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:16 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,651,227 times
They need to hand out DWO's around here.

Old 09-03-2011, 05:11 PM

492 posts, read 1,041,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnab gib View Post
I actually find drivers fairly courteous out here, for the most part.
Same here. We took a vacation to CA this summer. Predictably, you can't signal to change lanes because it induces drivers in the other lane to quickly close the gap. When I got back I had a new appreciation for our drivers' politeness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington