Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 01:50 PM

9 posts, read 10,959 times

Advertisements

Looking to buy a bit of acreage to start a small farming operation and would like to be in a city outside Seattle with a bit of Western/cowboy flavor to it. I don't mean places like Republic or Winthrop, WA - too hicksville for me. I have heard Vashon Island described as "country" but I think that's a euphemism for "hippie". I can't seem to find out much about Snohomish other than its' history is that of a "river town" (if anyone knows what that means, please tell me). I have heard that cowboy-mounted shooting is a sport there, which leads me to believe there may be a Western flavor to the city. Is this true - can one find cattle ranches and people wearing cowboy hats in Snohomish, or is it simply another suburb of Seattle? Where else would someone find a little cowboy culture without going into the sticks and still being close enough (within 20 miles or so) of Seattle?

Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 01:57 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaboone View Post
Looking to buy a bit of acreage to start a small farming operation and would like to be in a city outside Seattle with a bit of Western/cowboy flavor to it. I don't mean places like Republic or Winthrop, WA - too hicksville for me. I have heard Vashon Island described as "country" but I think that's a euphemism for "hippie". I can't seem to find out much about Snohomish other than its' history is that of a "river town" (if anyone knows what that means, please tell me). I have heard that cowboy-mounted shooting is a sport there, which leads me to believe there may be a Western flavor to the city. Is this true - can one find cattle ranches and people wearing cowboy hats in Snohomish, or is it simply another suburb of Seattle? Where else would someone find a little cowboy culture without going into the sticks and still being close enough (within 20 miles or so) of Seattle?

Thanks for any input!
What's wrong with Texas, Wyoming, Montana or Colorado?

I have never heard of "cowboy-mounted shooting" in Snohomish which is pretty much in or on the edge of the metro.

Old 06-30-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
What's wrong with Texas, Wyoming, Montana or Colorado?

I have never heard of "cowboy-mounted shooting" in Snohomish which is pretty much in or on the edge of the metro.
I suppose if I wanted to move to Texas, Wyoming, Montana or Colorado, I would have posted in those particular forums. As it happens, I want to live in Washington, where I am sure there must be acreage and ranches somewhere not far from the big city. And yes, there is cowboy-mounted shooting in Snohomish. Just don't know if it's popular enough for the city to be considered Western-centric. That's what I wanted specifically to know. Thank you.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
I suppose if I wanted to move to Texas, Wyoming, Montana or Colorado, I would have posted in those particular forums. As it happens, I want to live in Washington, where I am sure there must be acreage and ranches somewhere not far from the big city. And yes, there is cowboy-mounted shooting in Snohomish. Just don't know if it's popular enough for the city to be considered Western-centric. That's what I wanted specifically to know. Thank you.
Is this true - can one find cattle ranches and people wearing cowboy hats in Snohomish, or is it simply another suburb of Seattle?

No, this is not true. Snohomish is just a suburb of Seattle. They don't wear cowboy hats and I don't know of a single cattle ranch. Not sure where you're getting your information. Snohomish is more rural than Seattle but it's just a suburb.

Where is this cowboy mounted shooting in Snohomish you speak of? Who are these cowboys exactly? Do they wear cowboy hats and therefore are "cowboys"? There's...soccer and little league and housing developments though.

Check it, brand new houses for between $500-$600K. That's a good deal in the Seattle metro.

Learn About Snohomish Homes for Sale | D.R. Horton

Twenty miles from Seattle in any direction lands you squarely in the urban core. Thirty miles north of Seattle is Everett, a city, south is the airport and east you get North Bend - all suburbs. It is more rural in Carnation and Monroe, no cattle ranches but they do have Remlinger Farms for the kids in Carnation and a race track in Monroe.

We had a guy do some work on the house that lives on the other side of the mountains and he has horses, around Cle Elum.

Last edited by Seacove; 06-30-2015 at 05:53 PM..

Old 06-30-2015, 05:57 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Quote:
Where else would someone find a little cowboy culture without going into the sticks and still being close enough (within 20 miles or so) of Seattle?

Thanks for any input!
No where within 20 miles of Seattle. 20 miles from Seattle barely gets to Mill Creek or Redmond, both urban suburb bedroom communities. There really aren't cattle ranches anywhere around Seattle, a few small dairy farms, but about the only time you see anyone with a cowboy hat is at a parade or a horse show at the Evergreen Fairgrounds in Monroe.

Snohomish is a nice smallish town, about 10,000 people, but it isn't 'western'. Pretty much nothing in King/Pierce/Snohomish has much cowboy culture. You wouldn't have a problem finding people with horses 25+ miles from Seattle, but it's too densely populated for much ranching - developers buy up, pave over and build houses everywhere they can, 2 million people in King County alone take a lot of housing.

Granite Falls maybe (45 miles from Seattle), Enumclaw has a number of dairy farms (45 miles from Seattle) but neither are what anyone would call western cattle ranch towns.

Have you even been to Seattle? It's about the last place someone looking for cowboy culture should go.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:59 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
There are dairy farms in western Washington, but as far as I know there aren't any cattle ranches. There are places with some cows on them, but I wouldn't call them ranches. The closest you're liable to find any cowboy culture is in eastern Washington - I know that Ellensburg has horse ranches, so might have some cattle ranches as well.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:27 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Cannot be a 'cowboy' on a 'ranch' within 20 miles of Seattle. (Seattle is HUGE, land is EXPENSIVE, traffic is heavy)
but here is your link:
http://www.westernwashingtonmountedshooters.com/

If you have the BUCKS you can have a 'western' experience (horse boarding near town, / western riding shows / competition......)

Ellensburg is really the closest 'cowboy' culture to Seattle (AFAIK). It is mixed (university / farming town too)

If you venture to SW WA (lower prices, still west side of cascades, 20 min to Portland, OR), Battleground, WA has lots of horse people. There are several horse 'therapy' places (farms for disabled people to work with horses), where I have friends that work.

There are many appropriate towns on east side of WA (much more affordable, but usually arid)

Old 06-30-2015, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Cannot be a 'cowboy' on a 'ranch' within 20 miles of Seattle. (Seattle is HUGE, land is EXPENSIVE, traffic is heavy)
but here is your link:
http://www.westernwashingtonmountedshooters.com/

If you have the BUCKS you can have a 'western' experience (horse boarding near town, / western riding shows / competition......)

Ellensburg is really the closest 'cowboy' culture to Seattle (AFAIK). It is mixed (university / farming town too)

If you venture to SW WA (lower prices, still west side of cascades, 20 min to Portland, OR), Battleground, WA has lots of horse people.

There are many appropriate towns on east side of WA (much more affordable, but usually arid)
Okay, this makes more sense (from your link) and their get-togethers are actually in Sultan, WA.

Special Ammo - Blanks

The cartridges fired are called .45 caliber Long Colts, however there is no lead projectile.
The brass cartridge is loaded with black powder. This CMSA certified load will break a balloon up to
approximately 15 feet, making this an exciting and safe spectator sport.
Live rounds are strictly prohibited at competitions.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Is this true - can one find cattle ranches and people wearing cowboy hats in Snohomish, or is it simply another suburb of Seattle?

No, this is not true. Snohomish is just a suburb of Seattle. They don't wear cowboy hats and I don't know of a single cattle ranch. Not sure where you're getting your information. Snohomish is more rural than Seattle but it's just a suburb.

Where is this cowboy mounted shooting in Snohomish you speak of? Who are these cowboys exactly? Do they wear cowboy hats and therefore are "cowboys"? There's...soccer and little league and housing developments though.

Check it, brand new houses for between $500-$600K. That's a good deal in the Seattle metro.

Learn About Snohomish Homes for Sale | D.R. Horton

Twenty miles from Seattle in any direction lands you squarely in the urban core. Thirty miles north of Seattle is Everett, a city, south is the airport and east you get North Bend - all suburbs. It is more rural in Carnation and Monroe, no cattle ranches but they do have Remlinger Farms for the kids in Carnation and a race track in Monroe.

We had a guy do some work on the house that lives on the other side of the mountains and he has horses, around Cle Elum.

This is mounted shooting in Snohomish, if you're interested: http://www.westernwashingtonmountedshooters.com. Again, don't know how popular it is. There does seem to be a couple of Western-themed stores in Snohomish, for cowboy-and-ranch related supplies, and I did find acreage for sale, a little on the expensive side for vacant land. I wouldn't be interested in buying a home there, I'm looking more into homesteading and just building up on the land. I really don't need anyone walking around going, 'Howdy, pardner' - really just looking for a rural area but still close enough to drive into Seattle for some activities. Thanks for the info!

Old 06-30-2015, 07:38 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I agree, Ellensburg is the closest to what you want. Snohomish and Monroe are really just suburban/rural yuppie areas. They started out as the more affordable suburbs for commuting to Seattle and Bellevue, but now more and more Boeing engineers (working in Everett) and tech people wanting a little land have pretty much taken over, with new typically suburban developments. There are a few farms left but with tractors, not horseback ranchers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington