Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2022, 12:44 PM

1,369 posts, read 718,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
My fear? You live in a delusional world. I am done with your gibberish. Goodbye.
I mean, I haven’t been posting since I’ve been living a normal life, Covid levels are low, there aren’t a lot of restrictions…

All your posts in the past about the government taking over your lives, how they will never ‘let go’ etc… were those not fears?

And have they not been unfounded?

All the government is doing is monitoring a situation, taking measures if and when things go bad, and backing off (massively) when things get better.

But you keep posting, when really, most restrictions are gone and not coming back.

So, yes… your fear. Scientists are just responding to the data and you are afraid.

Old 04-22-2022, 10:24 AM

6,300 posts, read 3,448,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmition View Post
...after multiple comments by yourself and others expressing your fears about government controlling lives and mental health issues. No self awareness at all.
Those aren't fears they are facts.

Old 04-22-2022, 11:53 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,165,665 times
Here is a book about the failure of mask MANDATES around the world. South Korea is a great example of that despite their 100% mask compliance.

https://www.amazon.com/Unmasked-Glob...d_gw_ci_mcx_mi

Old 04-22-2022, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Here is a book about the failure of mask MANDATES around the world. South Korea is a great example of that despite their 100% mask compliance.

https://www.amazon.com/Unmasked-Glob...d_gw_ci_mcx_mi
To me, what matters is whether scientific studies prove that mask usage helps you reduce the spread of Covid and/or reduces the chance of you catching Covid. And the scientific consensus is that they do.

Now, a mandate could certainly fail, and I am sure they have failed, in many places, due to noncompliance or other reasons. And that is a valid thing to consider… why try something if you know it will not succeed, when you have limited public resources.

However, if the masks are proven to reduce the strain on the healthcare system, and you have a healthcare system under strain, then you MUST strongly consider measures to provide relief to that system and the people working through it.

To me, that means mask mandates, vaccine mandates etc. it ALSO means that you need to provide relief to staff, so if you have a nursing shortage, instead of firing nurses and other staff who will not comply with mandates, get creative and assign them elsewhere, if you can. But bureaucracies often don’t have the ability to be flexible.

Old 04-22-2022, 12:41 PM

By the way, some stats to keep in mind:
Country, death rate per million and death rate per million in the last 7 days:

S Korea: 355.47 34.64
UK: 2,521.04 55.53
US: 2,983.01 9.65

So, is Korea really failing? Should they have aspired to be more like us, with an overall death rate 8.5 times higher than theirs?

Yes, their death rate *this week* is high, they are coming off the omicron spike like we were, a short while ago. Be assured, they will NEVER reach the level of abject failure in the US promoted by anti-science acolytes in this country.

And remember, they are MUCH closer to China than we were. But they knew about SARS, they reacted swiftly, had excellent testing (remember when we were desperately importing their test kits?), lockdowns, vaccines, masks, etc.

South Korea fought Covid better than the US did and and will continue to lead the fight against infectious disease while we undercut safety measures. The body count shows it.

Last edited by Arcos; 04-22-2022 at 01:44 PM..

Old 04-22-2022, 04:54 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,165,665 times
This explains why masks (not cloth ones) in laboratory settings work but mask MANDATES in REAL life do not make much difference.

https://messaging-custom-newsletters...1d9d853c349730

Old 04-22-2022, 06:08 PM

Quote:
This explains why masks (not cloth ones) in laboratory settings work but mask MANDATES in REAL life do not make much difference.

https://messaging-custom-newsletters...1d9d853c349730
Good, sensible article. Matches my feelings pretty exactly.

Old 04-23-2022, 08:50 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,283,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcos View Post

But you keep posting, when really, most restrictions are gone and not coming back.
Are you sure?

Multiple colleges on the east coast have restarted their indoor mask mandates.

And what about the joke of a government in Philadelphia? The democratic city government tried to re-enact control by reinstituting masks, which was blatantly disregarding the CDC recommendations. Thankfully they got called out on it and reneged.

The government overreach isn't over...

Old 04-23-2022, 09:28 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,696,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcos View Post
Good, sensible article. Matches my feelings pretty exactly.
Maybe now you agree, but you said something different before. You would have said “masks save lives. This is the truth. Mask mandates save lives. They are a useful tool to save lives. The science is there. Trust public health they are brilliant and working hard doing the best they can. Liberal areas are doing so much better because of the bravery of our leaders. You doubters aren’t spreading lies. To doubt anything I have said is against science and public health. Blah, blah, blah.

Just like public health has lost it’s influence and credibility so has its mouthpiece…you.

If you try to defend yourself saying you always felt the way this article feels I might be forced to go back and dig up some of your sensational and draconian posts during the omicron and delta outbreaks. They are there. You know what you wrote. You will not be able to ever say you were sensible. You don’t get that privilege. That privilege belongs to me, Andy and Botev and many others that have long, long held the opinions expressed in the article. You didn’t call us sensible. You called our opinions lies, misinformation and dangerous.

Old 04-23-2022, 09:56 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,111,329 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington