Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2022, 10:24 AM

1,369 posts, read 718,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Maybe now you agree, but you said something different before. You would have said “masks save lives. This is the truth. Mask mandates save lives. They are a useful tool to save lives. The science is there. Trust public health they are brilliant and working hard doing the best they can. Liberal areas are doing so much better because of the bravery of our leaders. You doubters aren’t spreading lies. To doubt anything I have said is against science and public health. Blah, blah, blah.

Just like public health has lost it’s influence and credibility so has its mouthpiece…you.

If you try to defend yourself saying you always felt the way this article feels I might be forced to go back and dig up some of your sensational and draconian posts during the omicron and delta outbreaks. They are there. You know what you wrote. You will not be able to ever say you were sensible. You don’t get that privilege. That privilege belongs to me, Andy and Botev and many others that have long, long held the opinions expressed in the article. You didn’t call us sensible. You called our opinions lies, misinformation and dangerous.
If you read Botev’s article carefully, you’d see that it matches what I have said in the past (including that mandates should be brought back if circumstances change).

I’m still in favor of sensible mandates if necessary, and they should be stricter if they need to be. You may think you’ve ‘got me’ or something since this seems to be a competition with some of you.

If Covid is bad, mandates are needed. As it ebbs, mandates aren’t needed. If mandates are sometimes ineffective, that’s the fault of how they are implemented and what the rules are.

Adaptive management means you scale up and down (or reroute) as the situation dictates. It doesn’t wed you to an orthodoxy.

Last edited by Arcos; 04-23-2022 at 10:35 AM..

Old 04-23-2022, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Maybe now you agree, but you said something different before. You would have said “masks save lives. This is the truth. Mask mandates save lives. They are a useful tool to save lives. The science is there. Trust public health they are brilliant and working hard doing the best they can. Liberal areas are doing so much better because of the bravery of our leaders. You doubters aren’t spreading lies. To doubt anything I have said is against science and public health. Blah, blah, blah.

Just like public health has lost it’s influence and credibility so has its mouthpiece…you.

If you try to defend yourself saying you always felt the way this article feels I might be forced to go back and dig up some of your sensational and draconian posts during the omicron and delta outbreaks. They are there. You know what you wrote. You will not be able to ever say you were sensible. You don’t get that privilege. That privilege belongs to me, Andy and Botev and many others that have long, long held the opinions expressed in the article. You didn’t call us sensible. You called our opinions lies, misinformation and dangerous.
Here are the things in the article that match what I have said before and today:

“research shows that, when used correctly, masks can be a valuable tool for reducing the spread of Covid.”

“The trouble with the transportation mask mandate was that it was both too broad and too lenient.”

“The transportation mandate had so many exceptions that many Americans understandably questioned its worth. Travelers took off their masks to eat and drink. Some flight attendants removed their masks to make announcements. Some passengers wore their masks on their chins. The mandate also did not require N95 and KN95 masks, which are more effective against the virus than cloth masks or standard medical masks.”

“Rigorous laboratory tests show that masks reduce Covid transmission”

“KN95 and N95 masks reduce the virus’s spread, he believes, but mandates like the one on airlines do little good.”

“A more effective approach to mask mandates would probably be both narrower and stricter. It would close the big, obvious loopholes in any remaining mandates — but also limit the number of mandates.”

“About half of Americans have recently had the Omicron variant of Covid. They currently have little reason to wear a mask, for anybody’s sake.”

“Still, if Covid illness begins surging again at some point, there may be situations in which mandates make sense. To be effective, any mandates probably need to be strict, realistic and enforced. Imagine, for example, that a subway system mandated KN95 or N95 masks inside train cars.”

“Yet the rules have included enough exceptions to let Covid spread anyway.”

As for the severity of my views, they directly correlate in time with the level of spread and the burden on our hospitals. Both are low now so my views are more lenient now. If and when they go up again, I’d push for more anti Covid measures. To me that just seems … completely and utterly logical??? Shockingly, health officials are of the same mind.

Old 04-23-2022, 11:33 AM

6,288 posts, read 3,441,404 times
Quote:

Yes its will be hard to backtrack when the evidence is right here on this thread.

Fear mongering is not going to work any longer. In my mind the pandemic is now over and most people who want to wear a mask can. I could care less if they do.

Old 04-23-2022, 12:31 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,105,596 times
History will remember this and bards will sing about these silly people

Old 04-23-2022, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Yes its will be hard to backtrack when the evidence is right here on this thread.

Fear mongering is not going to work any longer. In my mind the pandemic is now over and most people who want to wear a mask can. I could care less if they do.
I’m not backtracking and I refuse to fearmonger. You will always get the truth as I best understand it from me. And everything I recommend will always be backed by logic and science.

People should be calm, not fearmonger about government conspiracies and the country will continue to prevail against Covid and other challenges.

Old 04-23-2022, 03:54 PM

37,217 posts, read 41,421,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcos View Post
Here are the things in the article that match what I have said before and today:

“research shows that, when used correctly, masks can be a valuable tool for reducing the spread of Covid.”

“The trouble with the transportation mask mandate was that it was both too broad and too lenient.”

“The transportation mandate had so many exceptions that many Americans understandably questioned its worth. Travelers took off their masks to eat and drink. Some flight attendants removed their masks to make announcements. Some passengers wore their masks on their chins. The mandate also did not require N95 and KN95 masks, which are more effective against the virus than cloth masks or standard medical masks.”

“Rigorous laboratory tests show that masks reduce Covid transmission”

“KN95 and N95 masks reduce the virus’s spread, he believes, but mandates like the one on airlines do little good.”

“A more effective approach to mask mandates would probably be both narrower and stricter. It would close the big, obvious loopholes in any remaining mandates — but also limit the number of mandates.”

“About half of Americans have recently had the Omicron variant of Covid. They currently have little reason to wear a mask, for anybody’s sake.”

“Still, if Covid illness begins surging again at some point, there may be situations in which mandates make sense. To be effective, any mandates probably need to be strict, realistic and enforced. Imagine, for example, that a subway system mandated KN95 or N95 masks inside train cars.”

“Yet the rules have included enough exceptions to let Covid spread anyway.”

As for the severity of my views, they directly correlate in time with the level of spread and the burden on our hospitals. Both are low now so my views are more lenient now. If and when they go up again, I’d push for more anti Covid measures. To me that just seems … completely and utterly logical??? Shockingly, health officials are of the same mind.
Quote:
If you read Botev’s article carefully, you’d see that it matches what I have said in the past (including that mandates should be brought back if circumstances change).

I’m still in favor of sensible mandates if necessary, and they should be stricter if they need to be. You may think you’ve ‘got me’ or something since this seems to be a competition with some of you.

If Covid is bad, mandates are needed. As it ebbs, mandates aren’t needed. If mandates are sometimes ineffective, that’s the fault of how they are implemented and what the rules are.

Adaptive management means you scale up and down (or reroute) as the situation dictates. It doesn’t wed you to an orthodoxy.
Well said.

Old 04-24-2022, 12:19 PM

305 posts, read 180,718 times
Fauci's excited about revamping the pandemic come this fall. We can all pull out our masks again and pretend to be worried. There are more lives and money to be robbed to save the Earth.

Old 04-24-2022, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman05 View Post
Fauci's excited about revamping the pandemic come this fall. We can all pull out our masks again and pretend to be worried. There are more lives and money to be robbed to save the Earth.
Again, I fail to see the reason for you to fearmonger. Dr. Fauci is advocating the same current posture against Covid as most people on this board. Few to no mandates or anti Covid measures needed.

I find it ironic that I am accused of fear mongering when that is pretty much all you guys do, and you don’t even see it.

Old 04-24-2022, 04:26 PM

305 posts, read 180,718 times
Quote:
Again, I fail to see the reason for you to fearmonger. Dr. Fauci is advocating the same current posture against Covid as most people on this board. Few to no mandates or anti Covid measures needed.

I find it ironic that I am accused of fear mongering when that is pretty much all you guys do, and you don’t even see it.
Fauci's not happy that a federal judge declared travel mask mandates by the CDC unlawful and Fauci said the law shouldn't have power over the CDC. But of course you ignore all these obvious facts. You want the US to treat covid how China does. We see how that has worked out.

Old 04-24-2022, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman05 View Post
Fauci's not happy that a federal judge declared travel mask mandates by the CDC unlawful and Fauci said the law shouldn't have power over the CDC. But of course you ignore all these obvious facts. You want the US to treat covid how China does. We see how that has worked out.
Fauci found it disturbing that a single judge made a decision that negated the work of an entire organization designed to prevent disease. And in typical fearmonger fashion, right wing news promoted that to make you think that Fauci wants a government without checks and balances. He just wants the politics out of decision making, as much as possible. So do I. Just calm, science based decision making.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington