Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2020, 08:17 PM

49 posts, read 81,784 times

Advertisements

We moved from Nashville two years ago, kinda east coast, and my wife is from Long Island. We are in our mid 30's but I still act and feel like I'm in my 20's. We hike a lot out here too.

For what you are looking for maybe try Olympia or Bellingham. Oly's downtown is small and it's a fairly liberal town but also seems to be a good place to raise a family if that's on your radar coming up anytime. Prices are still reasonable considering other big towns in WA. We live north of Vancouver, WA and I wish we had landed somewhere in West Olympia after spending a decent amount of time up there. We rent a house and it is over $1,800 a month here. As others have said $800 - $1,000 a month won't cut it for rent. Honestly, you will probably need around $1,500 to get anything decent but for sure a hell of a lot more anywhere around Seattle. Parts of Tacoma may have something but crime can get thick in certain parts there.

If you can be ok with a less than liberal population the maybe look at north Clark County where we are. Battle Ground MAY HAVE something closer to your price range and WSU Vancouver is close by as well as Portland only 35 mins away if you're into that.

As for Bellingham, I dont have much experience there but it seems like you may do good there as well just knowing what I know of the area.

Good luck and be prepared for winter and some mild culture shock. I thought I was prepared for winters here but let's just say that I wasn't even close.

Oh and if you're into outdoor stuff make sure to get a Discovery Pass AND a Interagency Pass that gets you into most of the National forest areas and all National Parks. Be aware that in winter you need more passes for some of the snow parks though.

Last edited by Landslide84; 12-02-2020 at 08:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2020, 07:21 PM

102,216 posts, read 107,956,787 times
I'm thinking this could work, if the OP & sis could qualify for some financial aid. A work-study program could over living expenses in the dorms, at least.

Also, check out Seattle University, a private Catholic university. They're great with financial aid, if you qualify. I don't know about their current enviro science-related programs, but they used to have a Marine Biology and Conservation program, or some such. You don't have to be religious to attend; they don't preach. I've known Tibetan and Native American graduates of the place, who had no problem with it. In fact, the school makes an effort to engage speakers, who would be of interest to those and other groups. The school is located on Capitol Hill, which is right near the action for people your age; lots of clubs, restaurants, etc.

Old 12-09-2020, 06:25 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,050,894 times
WSU Forestry program will be re-accreditated by the Society of American Foresters in 2020 or so. It is NOT a very well known Forestry school.

University of Washington Forestry school has a corporate reputation. It is a good forestry school but, focused on corporate rather than public forestry. Same with Oregon State University. Given your "liberal" leanings, you probably would have a hard time at those two schools. I think the schools will be fine with you, but you might not be fine with the schools.

The University of Idaho Forestry school is much more balanced in its approach to management of natural resources. It is just across the state line from WSU.

You might want to move to Idaho. It is a much cooler state than Washington anyway.

Old 12-10-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
WSU Forestry program will be re-accreditated by the Society of American Foresters in 2020 or so. It is NOT a very well known Forestry school.

University of Washington Forestry school has a corporate reputation. It is a good forestry school but, focused on corporate rather than public forestry. Same with Oregon State University. Given your "liberal" leanings, you probably would have a hard time at those two schools. I think the schools will be fine with you, but you might not be fine with the schools.

The University of Idaho Forestry school is much more balanced in its approach to management of natural resources. It is just across the state line from WSU.

You might want to move to Idaho. It is a much cooler state than Washington anyway.
You can say that again! UW Forestry school teaches clear-cutting. They never did that, until the forestry corporations made huge donations to the school. The last time I spoke to a graduate from there, he was not only advocating clear-cutting, he was telling a group of visitors from Russia, that leaving a lot of slag behind was good for the environment! The clear-cut area he was showing off looked like a mess. That's the kind of thing that feeds forest fires, causing them to rage out of control.

Don't get me started on my rant about the UW School of Forestry! I second your advice, to try Idaho. Probably more affordable to the OP & sis. (If she's still reading this. I think we scared her off... )

Old 12-10-2020, 02:51 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
.....You might want to move to Idaho. It is a much cooler state than Washington anyway.

OP wants ultra liberal. She won't find that in Idaho. Idaho is pretty conservative. Even the tiny areas of Idaho that are considered to be liberal are pretty darn conservative when you compare them to California, Oregon, and Washington.

But, yes, OP could find a place to rent in Moscow or Pullman in her budget. Just not anything else that she is wanting.

Old 12-10-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
OP wants ultra liberal. She won't find that in Idaho. Idaho is pretty conservative. Even the tiny areas of Idaho that are considered to be liberal are pretty darn conservative when you compare them to California, Oregon, and Washington.
Really? A place with a radio station called "Radio Free Moscow" is pretty conservative?
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke;
But, yes, OP could find a place to rent in Moscow or Pullman in her budget. Just not anything else that she is wanting.
Apparently those are small islands of liberalism in a sea of conservatives? I know WA & OR "natives" who moved to ID for most of their adult lives, one is still there, and they loved it. They focussed on the natural surroundings, which are breathtaking, from what I hear and also see via the internet. And there is, or used to be, an American Sikh community there? How did the residents view that, I wonder?

Old 12-10-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You can say that again! UW Forestry school teaches clear-cutting. They never did that, until the forestry corporations made huge donations to the school. The last time I spoke to a graduate from there, he was not only advocating clear-cutting, he was telling a group of visitors from Russia, that leaving a lot of slag behind was good for the environment! The clear-cut area he was showing off looked like a mess. That's the kind of thing that feeds forest fires, causing them to rage out of control.

Don't get me started on my rant about the UW School of Forestry! I second your advice, to try Idaho. Probably more affordable to the OP & sis. (If she's still reading this. I think we scared her off... )

EVERY Forestry school teaches clear-cutting. It is a accepted silvicultural technique in even-aged forest stands like those found in western Washington.

And yes, leaving slash around "is good for the environment" in western Washington. See the ecological papers written by Dr. Jerry Franklin. The environmental community loves him!!!

Yep, clear-cuts look like a mess. Ecologically, they make sense in western Washington. Just because something looks "pretty" does not mean that it is good forest management.

It depends on what your management objectives are for the piece of land.

All that said....I still don't like the University of Washington. Period.

Moscow, Idaho is almost as liberal as the one in Russia.

Old 12-10-2020, 03:50 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,501,432 times
I hate ta be brutally honest but the main thing I love about the University of Washington is their football team. But, and it is a rather large butt, doesn't the U of Washington have a pretty respectable healthcare training program? Doctors - RN's - Respiratory Therapy? Ruth4Truth - would d'ya know about that? Aren't you a U-Dub graduate?

Go Huskies!

Old 12-10-2020, 04:12 PM

12,843 posts, read 9,578,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
I was thinking how inexpensive Seattle was and then I saw that most are under 300 sq feet!!

Old 12-10-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
I hate ta be brutally honest but the main thing I love about the University of Washington is their football team. But, and it is a rather large butt, doesn't the U of Washington have a pretty respectable healthcare training program? Doctors - RN's - Respiratory Therapy? Ruth4Truth - would d'ya know about that? Aren't you a U-Dub graduate?

Go Huskies!

The University of Washington does NOT want to be a public university serving the people of Washington state. A few years ago, they even made a proposal to the state legislature to ALLOW them to become a private university.

Sorry, I am a great fan of GREAT PUBLIC UNIVERSITIES.

The University of Washington wastes taxpayers dollars and mis-treats the students attending the school.
Go to their web site and look at the number of competitive admit majors AFTER TWO YEARS.

As a taxpayer, if a kid gets admitted to the University of Washington they should be able to graduate in their declared major after four years. This competitive admit process wastes taxpayers dollars, the students time, and ONLY benefits the University establishment that is too lazy to focus on meeting the educational needs of kids in Washington.

It is a travesty. The Governor of Washington should follow the lead of Edmund Brown in California in the mid-1960's and kick the public higher education system in the BUTT and get them to serve the needs of the people of Washington state.

Oh wait.....the priority is for the University of Washington to become a PRIVATE college.

The priority of taxpayers of the state of Washington should be to REMOVE the leadership the U of W and replace them with individuals dedicated to PUBLIC EDUCATION and RESEARCH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington