Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2020, 01:04 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,151,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, I don't understand. There are two of you to pay rent together, right? So why are you limited to $1000/mo. rent, or did I misunderstand your budget? Presumably, you're looking for a 2-br. apt. on $1000? Or a 1 br., and the other would sleep on a sofa bed in the living room? More info needed. A 2 br. (or even a 1-br.) can't be had at your price point, anywhere near a university with a forestry dept. and an oceanography dept., or the like.
A: "Fresh start" is a euphemism for, "Fleeing problems that will follow because we're bringing them along." I discovered in Swakopmund, Namibia some years ago that you can run but you can't hide: they had Internet there, too, despite being literally one of the farthest points on the globe from the US by-road and air with standing buildings and gasoline stations. Aside from McMurdo Base in Antarctica.

"Forestry or something in the maritime industry" ...or something like that. Maybe get on a commercial crabbing vessel in Ballard, work like a fiend for a number of months in the Bering Sea. Lonely way to die, though.

"We are looking for an apartment for under $1k- 800 with lots of social activities for people are age in the area, as well as a low commute time, low crime." = does not exist in 2020 United States. Anywhere outside of some freak-out hippie commune. I rented a room in 1989's Michigan for $90/month in a ghetto, rat-infested home w/o heat in the room, in a crime-ridden neighborhood with drunk driving wrecks and gunfire as regular occurrences. And I thought it fun, because it sure had social activities and low commute covered (not far from a major Uni). I was 21, too, and that seemed like a good old time. We didn't know any better, the roomies and I.

They're broke as I was, with few ideas how the world works. Best advice is to stay in Maine, Vermont, wherever it is. Or put on a pack and travel the US on the hoof a few years, up the street IQ significantly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2020, 04:48 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,883,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
A: "Fresh start" is a euphemism for, "Fleeing problems that will follow because we're bringing them along." I discovered in Swakopmund, Namibia some years ago that you can run but you can't hide: they had Internet there, too, despite being literally one of the farthest points on the globe from the US by-road and air with standing buildings and gasoline stations. Aside from McMurdo Base in Antarctica.

"Forestry or something in the maritime industry" ...or something like that. Maybe get on a commercial crabbing vessel in Ballard, work like a fiend for a number of months in the Bering Sea. Lonely way to die, though.

"We are looking for an apartment for under $1k- 800 with lots of social activities for people are age in the area, as well as a low commute time, low crime." = does not exist in 2020 United States. Anywhere outside of some freak-out hippie commune. I rented a room in 1989's Michigan for $90/month in a ghetto, rat-infested home w/o heat in the room, in a crime-ridden neighborhood with drunk driving wrecks and gunfire as regular occurrences. And I thought it fun, because it sure had social activities and low commute covered (not far from a major Uni). I was 21, too, and that seemed like a good old time. We didn't know any better, the roomies and I.

They're broke as I was, with few ideas how the world works. Best advice is to stay in Maine, Vermont, wherever it is. Or put on a pack and travel the US on the hoof a few years, up the street IQ significantly.
You got me chuckling, I follow the Alaska forums too since I have a strong connection to the state. This past year haven't seen as many "fresh start" type posts but have enjoyed many in the past. The regular posters there are ruthlessly direct and the OP's don't go very far after their original post.

Old 12-19-2020, 11:27 AM

2 posts, read 2,297 times
Thank you everyone for the responses.

Old 12-19-2020, 12:12 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildc36 View Post
Thank you everyone for the responses.
Sorry it doesn't seem like it will work out, OP. Unless you might be willing to live in Seattle in college dorms. Please let us know if you find someplace that will work for you. You've got some good career plans, that deserve support.

Old 01-01-2021, 10:53 AM

I don't think the OP will be back, but I think I just found her ideal location, but in OR. Oregon State University (OSU) has forestry, fisheries/marine science, environmental design, all that stuff the OP is interested in, and also a grad program in Psychology for her sister. And rents outside of Corvallis are affordable. I wonder why they chose WA, and didn't look into OR. OSU is a remarkably huge institution, for a 2nd-tier state school. Very impressive.

Old 02-28-2021, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
I realize that University of Washington graduates are pretty full of themselves in the Northwest.
That UW forestry grad isn't in the NW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509;
Yeah, maybe UC Berkeley has been a overrated Junior College compared to the University of Washington.
Berkeley has its strengths and weaknesses, like any school. But that's neither here nor there.

Quote:
Yeah, I realize that a professional degree from UC Berkeley and over 50 years of professional experience is NOTHING like third hand knowledge about a forestry degree earned by an "older relative of mine".

My finest moments in my professional career where when "enviromentalists" from Boeing, trained AEROSPACE ENGINEERS, told me how little I actually knew about Forestry.

I really enjoyed a fruit grower, realtor, developer from Wenatchee who filled gaps in my Forestry education and professional practice, while his family sprayed my pregnant wife with pesticide FOUR TIMES the legal concentration for walking on a public street!!!

Get a grip Ruth. Just because you believe it....does not make it so.

But.....people like you did make me retire at my earliest date. The destructive legacy is on your shoulders, but hey, I (we) in the forestry profession warned you. But you decided not to listen.
Which forestry profession? The one following industry practices, or the one following healthy forest management practices?
What destructive legacy? I'm not the one advocating clear-cutting. Remember when the soil on top of a clear-cut cliff washed away in the rain and tumbled down onto a neighborhood below, burying dozens of people alive under the mud? Whose shoulders is that on? A logging company had to pay damages.

Quote:
Enjoy, the smoke and burning forests that you think is "natural". Keep electing Senators and Governors without a clue about ecological systems.
No idea what you're talking about. I'm supporting tribes that are showing CA authorities how to do controlled burns and thinning of forests, to minimize fire risk. You're talking about somebody else, here.

Quote:
It will ONLY take another 30 to 40 years to burn over our public forests. In many cases, with soil temperatures high enough to preclude from forests ever growing again in those areas.

A legacy that will live for hundreds of years into the future. Be proud of your role.
Thanks; I'm working to prevent that in CA. What are you doing? Enjoying your retirement, I hope?

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 02-28-2021 at 04:35 PM..

Old 02-28-2021, 05:23 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,527,093 times
I see a post comparing UW with Cal-Berkeley. UW is a great school but its just not in the same league as the University of California (except for sports). Yesterday i watched a great forestry program on Zoom with all sorts of free topics. On one about soils -with a UW and WSU professor they recommended going to the Cal site instead of WSU "They both have the same information but Cal's is much clearer and easier to understand. It was nice of WSU to host this program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington