Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 12:30 AM

6,376 posts, read 4,995,543 times

Advertisements

If I leave the PNW, the months on end of short, dark, overcast days that really don't play well with my SAD are gonna be way higher up the list of reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2021, 07:38 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
No thoughts of leaving for us, it's still the best option compared to other places that get more heat, drought, actual fires threatening homes rather than just smoke, flooding, hurricanes, tornadoes, locusts, cicadas. It's also a place with easy access to salt water beaches, fresh water lakes and rivers, mountains, snow activities and woods.

Old 07-08-2021, 08:14 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,667,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
No thoughts of leaving for us, it's still the best option compared to other places that get more heat, drought, actual fires threatening homes rather than just smoke, flooding, hurricanes, tornadoes, locusts, cicadas. It's also a place with easy access to salt water beaches, fresh water lakes and rivers, mountains, snow activities and woods.
Upper midwest doesn't seem to get much smoke or hurricanes. Does it some bugs, including ticks, but I'm not the kind to go marching around the woods much anyway. Flooding can mostly be avoided too if you find maps and know the area. If you put me back in the neighborhoods I've lived in (TX, WI, MI) I would be able tell you which streets you need to avoid.

Tornados are moving east. Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas aren't as affected by them as when I lived there (TX and OK).

The biggest compromise, in my opinion, is the general discomfort. PNW is mostly comfortable for most of the year. Anything out east past the Cascades is going to involved more heat and once you get to areas that bring up the gulf moisture you'll get heat and humidity.

Old 07-08-2021, 05:40 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,074,759 times
I like it up here.
I have no intention of leaving.
I mean where would I go to evade the smoke?
Leave the west Coast?
No way.
You can keep all those bugs, humidity, flat lands and the people who let’s say just don’t think the way I do .

Old 07-08-2021, 06:14 PM

2,911 posts, read 1,359,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Well, everyone remembers it the way they want to see it, unless someone has an actual chart and wants to compare. I'm not in a place to look it up... but half an inch, or even an inch, of rain in a month is really very dry. That's one fast moving thundershower.
But the weather records agree with my memory.

0.5 inches is quite a bit more than you think. Our rainiest month, November, only gets an average of 8.21 inches in an entire month.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympi...hy_and_climate

Quote:
1/2 (0.5) of an inch of rain – A light rain never reaches this amount, moderate rain for 1-2 hours or heavy rain for 30-45 minutes. There would be deep standing water and they would last for long periods of time.

One (1.00) inch of rain – A light moderate rain never reaches this amount, heavy rain for several hours (2-5 hours). There would be deep standing water for long periods of time.
https://weatherins.com/rain-guidelines/

Old 07-08-2021, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Phoenix gets more rain in July and August. 1 inch of rain in a whole month is practically nothing.
Phoenix gets their rain in buckets. You have downpours and flash floods. We specialize in drizzle and gray up here. Believe me, the weather we've been seeing the last few years is not in the least typical.

Old 07-08-2021, 07:46 PM

14,476 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
Phoenix gets their rain in buckets. You have downpours and flash floods. We specialize in drizzle and gray up here. Believe me, the weather we've been seeing the last few years is not in the least typical.

In winter, you're right. But in summer, IF we get rain, it's usually the downpour thundershower bucket variety.

Old 07-08-2021, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Phoenix gets more rain in July and August. 1 inch of rain in a whole month is practically nothing.
Quote:
In winter, you're right. But in summer, IF we get rain, it's usually the downpour thundershower bucket variety.
Not true for July. The norm was a few days of gray and overcast with a bit of rain in the first one or two weeks, then it would go dry.

August would have a few days of light rain here and there, mostly at the end of the month, and some years there would be a thunderstorm that produced bit of a downpour, but never a half inch of rain.

With climate change though we're getting harder rains. We may see Midwest-style thunderstorms and downpours become the norm some day.

Old 07-08-2021, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Is Rochester's weather really that different? Thunderstorms are rare here, and they're usually pretty small. Do you get guys really get downpour thundershower bucket variety storms every summer? Western Washington does do microclimates after all.

Old 07-08-2021, 09:28 PM

14,476 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Maybe. Maybe it's perspective, too. One thunderstorm in a year is pretty unusual by my definition, Koala. I also think weather is variable enough, and our memories faulty enough, that we are selective about what we remember, and how much climate change has really changed things. In our lifetime, we're likely to see a few degrees change in average climate, and with faulty selective memory and natural variables all the time, I don't think it's been enough for any of us to really notice, some just think they do.

When we had the big down pour last week before the fourth, I remember saying "wow... it never rains like this this time of year... and then I saw in my facebook memories a big downpour a year or two earlier."

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 07-08-2021 at 09:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington