Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2008, 06:50 PM

3 posts, read 8,751 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm new here (what a wonderful resource!) and have some questions. We live in Alabama, and would really like to get back to the west coast. We're originally from Oregon. The South is just not home to us.

Hubby has four job possibilities on the table right now: in Yakima, Everett, Vancouver, and Olympia.

Since Alabama has such a lower cost of living, the transition will be tough. So we'll need to live cheaply for awhile til he gets merit raises, etc.

Question: Are there any affordable rural homes in any of these areas? Ideally, we'd love to buy a very cheap fixer-upper on at least an acre of land, as we love that lifestyle (gardening, nature, etc.). We have a baby, so schools will be a consideration, but not top consideration as he won't be going for another 6 years or so. Any idea of what areas could be doable, and of price ranges?

Or: Is there another area that would be better for rural living like this? (We can always look into other job opportunities.)

Right now I am so discouraged. There are dirt cheap homes out in the country here with good school districts. But it is SO hard to research from afar, so maybe I'm missing something. Thanks so much in advance for any information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 07:17 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
Yakima houses are going to be far less expensive than the other three places, but there will be places within 20 miles of Everett and Olympia that will suit your needs...places like Tenino and Rochester.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:57 PM

371 posts, read 1,761,263 times
TC = Yakima? Confusing...

I would not recommend Yakima, or many places in Eastern WA for that matter, but you ARE looking for rural living.

Yakima is close to the division between desert/forest, bu the town does not offer a lot of job opportunities.

Id recommend Olympia, its at the souther tip of the Seattle metro, so you should be able to find a rural town nearby. The area is very beautiful. Unlike Eastern WA (I cant wait to get outta here).

I will research!

Old 10-19-2008, 09:47 AM

1,024 posts, read 4,138,765 times
I would also say that the area south of Olympia will be your best bet. Ira500 mentioned Tenino and Rochester, and I'd include Littlerock, Centralia and Chehalis, or further west, Elma or McCleary. These towns are within an easy commute time to Olympia and have low-cost (under $100K) real estate opportunities.

Sandy

Old 10-19-2008, 12:15 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
You will have to consider weather issues too, and if you can handle 6 solid months of rain, and 3 months of very dry (west side, all but TC)

Rural Olymipia may have more low cost choices, but... I would also look to north Camas (good schools, & Near Vancouver) as there may be more job / culture opportunities + sales tax free shopping in Portland (10 minutes). If you have to work in OR, there will be a 9% income tax on those earnings. There are some cheap places out east of Camas in Skamania County, but the picking is slim, but views / recreation opportunities are nice.

One advantage of buying in the Camas Vancouver area is pretty ez resale in the lower price points. Many folks will continue to seek this area. There is a glut of McMansions, but the taxes are too high to even consider buying one of those. Don't buy a tract home, as your ideal of rural / large lot, fixer has much better resale potential. I try to find trashed mobile homes on acreage. You can replace the home very inexpensively if you find a used or repo, modular. You don't have to drill a well, add septic, power and driveway + pay $10 - $20k in impact and permit fees (Which you may have to do if you start from bare land).

I would probably scratch Everett unless you want to be close to Seattle, I think the Cost of living will be very high within a reasonable commute.

But I would consider the whole livability / lifestyle, future plans, rather than be totally driven by costs.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 10-19-2008 at 12:34 PM..

Old 10-19-2008, 12:44 PM

3 posts, read 8,751 times
Thank you all so much! I can't even tell you how helpful this all is. Off to research your wonderful ideas!

Sorry to be confusing... I said Tri Cities instead of Yakima, because I'd read that Yakima is kind of dangerous and I knew we wouldn't want to live there. Although money is tight, safety is an issue, as we have a baby.

Thanks again! And I'll look forward to seeing you have any more great tips and ideas!

Old 10-19-2008, 02:48 PM

371 posts, read 1,761,263 times
I actually live in Tri Cities. Its ok, the job market is "steady" but its more of a retirement communty. Only move here if your job outlook is in Hanford or construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington