Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2011, 06:41 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times

Advertisements

Plenty of 'fall foliage' here which started in August.. the trees are coloured with red, brown and gold. This brief hot spell shouldn't delay it as we're back to cool days, frosty nights and potential sleety/hail/snow showers for some places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 07:15 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Plenty of 'fall foliage' here which started in August.. the trees are coloured with red, brown and gold. This brief hot spell shouldn't delay it as we're back to cool days, frosty nights and potential sleety/hail/snow showers for some places.
Frosty nights? I don't see anything near a frost in your forecast...

Weather Forecast - Leeds, United Kingdom(UK) - Local & Long Range | Wunderground

We have a couple nights in the mid 30s this week, then back to 80°F for the weekend! And 80°F with sun this time...one more day of cloud left

Old 10-04-2011, 02:32 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,659,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Anyone get any foliage yet? I thought I saw a bit from ben86's photos. London looks further ahead than us.

From what it looks like, this year's foliage season will be rather poor. The cloudy, extremely wet weather probably means drab fall colors and the overabundance of rain might increase fungi and diseases. Might be delayed a bit too, has we've had almost no cool nights (<45°F) and some very warm (low to mid 80s) days in the last few weeks). I think fall foliage needs cool nights to trigger a good color change.
Agreed - that's one of the reasons why your colour show is usually better than ours. I think ours is advanced compared to normal, because of the warm, sunny spring then cool, dull summer confusing the flora, a bit of drought stress and also the leaf miner moth hitting the horse chestnut trees. As ever, it's the first trees to gain leaves which are the first to lose them - I imagine this is just because certain trees are more sensitive to seasonal change, anybody know a better explanation?

Old 10-04-2011, 03:41 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,071,148 times
Today's high was only 8 C / 46 F -- 8 C / 13 F below average! This would be a very cold day even in mid-winter. It goes without saying that it was overcast from dawn 'till dusk.

As if that weren't bad enough, highs in the 50s F are forecasted for the whole week ahead.

With this sort of nonsense going on I'm thinking I won't even wait until Autumn -- I'll buy a one way ticket to Brisbane this very day and leave this frigid subantarctic wasteland behind forever.

(Cue "reality check" from RWood telling me I should just be thankful I don't live in Norilsk or something)

Old 10-04-2011, 03:48 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,659,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Today's high was only 8 C / 46 F -- 8 C / 13 F below average! This would be a very cold day even in mid-winter. It goes without saying that it was overcast from dawn 'till dusk.

As if that weren't bad enough, highs in the 50s F are forecasted for the whole week ahead.

With this sort of nonsense going on I'm thinking I won't even wait until Autumn -- I'll buy a one way ticket to Brisbane this very day and leave this frigid subantarctic wasteland behind forever.

(Cue "reality check" from RWood telling me I should just be thankful I don't live in Norilsk or something)
Nonsense like this?

"PS: A quick check shows Ch'ch's sun total for Jul-Sept (all city and aero records back to 1930) was only 3 hours short of the record high set in 1959."

Old 10-04-2011, 05:37 AM

927 posts, read 1,948,613 times
Quote:

Dang, jobs that easy to get there??? save me a seat!

Old 10-04-2011, 08:56 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Frosty nights? I don't see anything near a frost in your forecast...

Weather Forecast - Leeds, United Kingdom(UK) - Local & Long Range | Wunderground

We have a couple nights in the mid 30s this week, then back to 80°F for the weekend! And 80°F with sun this time...one more day of cloud left
Indeed, a widespread ground frost is expected on Saturday morning according to our local weather. Model output agrees with this with temperatures across northern England widely falling to 36F. As ever with weather forecasts they change on an hourly basis.. which is why I prefer not to rely on weather forecasts as they usually underestimate temperatures, here at least.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:10 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,372,298 times
Quote:

Cry me a river.

I lived in a "subtropical" climate (North GA) when I was younger and we have had colder April highs than that. Honestly, what do you expect at mid-latitude close to the ocean in early spring? Like I said, many places that are at the same latitude as you have had much colder spring days. You're just a chronic complainer.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:15 AM

As a footnote to my last post we had 20 mm / 0.8'' of rain yesterday and a diurnal range of only 1.7 C / 3 F. Very unusual.

Forecast shows gloomy weather continuing until the end of next week at least.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post

Cry me a river.

I lived in a "subtropical" climate (North GA) when I was younger and we have had colder April highs than that. Honestly, what do you expect at mid-latitude close to the ocean in early spring? Like I said, many places that are at the same latitude as you have had much colder spring days. You're just a chronic complainer.
The average high here at this time of year is 60 F, so a day with a 46 F high is a big deal. BTW, 60 F highs in mid-spring are hardly warm for the latitude -- look at what they get in the Pacific Northwest at a similar latitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather