Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2013, 03:36 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I'll go on a limb and say that south of NYC is immuned to the arctic air this year so dont worry about it. NYC will basically be on the southern fringe of any teens we get from now on. And even still I dont see it being sustained.

SouthEast ridge is no joke this year.

I'm a warm weather fan, but I still like a bit of cold and snow now and then to shake things up. I wish one of these winters would end up right about normal, temp and snow wise.

Also I like to go skiing at some of the PA ski resorts. They've been hit hard by last year.

I want all the nasty critters killed off by some cold. I don't think these warm winters are good for the soil, vegetation, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 03:54 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Why does everybody believe the gfs? Every single other model has got us under an easterly.. I think some people just wanna be negative.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:00 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
This was strange. Our Maximum in the last 24 hours was at 1 am (43°F). Dropped to 35°F by sunrise. Wind started blasting at midnight, switching from a light south wind to a strong west wind. Peak wind gust 48 mph at 2 am.

High of 46°F forecast today.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:17 AM

13,485 posts, read 9,027,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Why does everybody believe the gfs? Every single other model has got us under an easterly.. I think some people just wanna be negative.
Do you remember what happened in December? The raging easterly that was predicted by all the models, apart from the GFS? We all know how that panned out...

I think we will see a mix of the model solutions personally. A cold blast mostly affecting northern & eastern areas, with some snow possible almost anywhere away from coasts, then milder air pushing into the south & west middle of next week with perhaps a battleground snow event...

Old 01-10-2013, 06:31 AM

14,324 posts, read 14,623,274 times
Winds have died down, snow is disappearing fast. West winds yesterday were crazy, temps high 30s, weekend supposed to bring 40s. It was mid-20s when I got up, which is the daily average high!

Old 01-10-2013, 07:53 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
So we've had snow on the ground for about 2 and a half weeks so far this winter. Last winter was so snowless that we've had more snow on the ground so far this winter than all of last winter (and our biggest snowfalls last winter were in October and March).

Judging by the forecasts and weather trends, the second half of the month will have no snow on the ground. Cambium?

Old 01-10-2013, 10:17 AM

83,520 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
So we've had snow on the ground for about 2 and a half weeks so far this winter. Last winter was so snowless that we've had more snow on the ground so far this winter than all of last winter (and our biggest snowfalls last winter were in October and March).

Judging by the forecasts and weather trends, the second half of the month will have no snow on the ground. Cambium?
Minde lasted 2 weeks here. Still patches where there's shade now. All snow will and should be gone by Monday as far north as I-90.

trying to see continuity with models showing this arctic air coming down. Stratosphere has INSANELY impressed us all. Now at record warm temps and a SUDDEN increase which will have affect on weather.

So its possible we get this major arctic outbreak but me personally I think its short lived.

Expect some rain events between now and next week but... Wednesday might have some frozen precip with the cold front.

This Weekend Spring.

Next Week Deep Winter possibly.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:20 AM

83,520 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Default Grand forks, wow

Check out the current 850mb temps, pressure and Surface temps.

850 temps into the low teens Celsius as far north as North Dakota! Thats warm!

Normal high for Grand Forks is 16. They are mid 30s right now and have been.

They have been between 15 and 20 above normal! http://www.nws.noaa.gov/climate/index.php?wfo=fgf

Yet a Major Winter storm is on the way with blowing snow and temps Saturday into the teens below zero. Major Winter Storm Friday into Saturday

Old 01-10-2013, 03:32 PM

I was looking at that storm watching the noon news, snow for Dakotas and freezing rain for MN, upper Wisc.! I like winter weather but I would rather be on the warm side, have rain instead of ice. It sure is mild here, snow disappearing fast. We are going to get rain, fog, I'm sure, mild temps.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:51 PM

Lots of rain at the moment, looking at the radar seems it will be circling around for quite some time! Snow will probably be gone when I get up tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather