Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 04:59 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,966,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I really wish I grew up in a place that never snowed. I guess that is one terrible consequence if being born in and growing up in Canada IMO
South fla. If it does it lasts about 10 seconds and happens once every 10-20 years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 05:29 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,003,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Now that I have a daughter I vowed she will grow up with seasons. To this day I have never ridden on a sled and I feel like I really missed out on snowball fights and jumping in leaves. We are moving back to NE in May , she'll be 3 1/2 then and I hope shell love it.
That's great. For the vast majority of people a four-season climate provides the best childhood, because once they grow up they'll have a full spectrum of weather and climate experience to fall back on*. If they decide they like some other warmer or colder climate they can always move elsewhere later. Plus there's the near-universal joy and interest of playing in the snow, snowmen, and snow forts which, although people of all ages can enjoy it, is special when one is a kid.

*As opposed to people who have never experienced winter, cold weather, summer, or hot weather in their lives.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:49 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
That's great. For the vast majority of people a four-season climate provides the best childhood, because once they grow up they'll have a full spectrum of weather and climate experience to fall back on*. If they decide they like some other warmer or colder climate they can always move elsewhere later. Plus there's the near-universal joy and interest of playing in the snow, snowmen, and snow forts which, although people of all ages can enjoy it, is special when one is a kid.

*As opposed to people who have never experienced winter, cold weather, summer, or hot weather in their lives.
That's true, but there are benefits to living in a climate like LA. You can do comfortable outdoor activities anytime of year, just more comfortable without excessive clothing.etc. LA also doesn't get as hot/humid as NYC in summer.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:52 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
That's true, but there are benefits to living in a climate like LA. You can do comfortable outdoor activities anytime of year, just more comfortable without excessive clothing.etc. LA also doesn't get as hot/humid as NYC in summer.
But that's relative. Anybody can do any activity they want outdoors, provided hey have the tolerance for it, and kids have tolerance for almost anything. Kids don't care if it's too hot or too cold outside, dry or humid. Those are all adult concerns As for adults, we have posters on here that claim they can't function in anything but the hottest, most humid conditions and some who say that the colder it is, the better they can work outside.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:07 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,887,822 times
It snowed on the month I was born. I don't think there was ever a year that i've been alive where it hasn't snowed and layed.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:26 AM

191 posts, read 163,805 times
I was born in Nov. 1992, and during the winter of 1992-93 there was a snow event. I was an infant, so I can't remember that one. My first snow memory was in the winter of 1997-98. I had turned 5, and I remember having snowball fights with my dad. I loved seeing the winter wonderland in my backyard and the forest behind it. Snow in the southeast USA isn't so common, so it's a treat when we do get it.

I had another interesting snow event in Feb. 2011 during my senior year in high school. At first I was angry at having to go to school (I had a cold and couldn't sleep the night before). Not to mention the fire alarm constantly going off that morning during class. But it turned out to be a good thing. Early before classes began, and between 1st and 2nd block, there was a plethora of people outside in the courtyard having what I like to call "The Great Snowball War!" It was ruined, however, when some idiots thought it would be a brilliant idea to hide rocks in the snowballs.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:24 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,003,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
You can do anything you want except any activity that involves cold weather or snow . That's a huge aspect of life and weather that the child that grows up in LA misses out on, and you only get to be a kid once. Heat and humidity is also something to experience. The biggest point is that you will have much more knowledge of what kind of weather you like and dislike if you actually experience a variety of weather (i.e. a four-season climate) versus if you only have ever experienced one kind of weather (like warmth/sun in the case of LA, or even cool/cloudy in a place like Iceland).

I think the case to have a "home base" of experience like that is a convincing one. If your home is in a four-season climate, that's good, but it's even better to have a home base like that but also to have experience (like vacations) traveling to ski resorts and places like the Sierra Nevada, tropical beaches, places like LA, deserts, and the subarctic regions. If you put all that together you couldn't have a better-rounded childhood in the area of climate.

With all that said, I think children will tend to turn out just fine regardless of what climate they're raised in, but I think growing up with four seasons is best.

Also, who ever said NYC was a good four-season climate ? I was thinking more along the lines of New England, southern Quebec, northern Iowa, and southern Minnesota. Those places actually have a snowpack on the ground for the winter (which is vital in the four season experience), plus hot summers. However, neither the cold in winter nor the heat in summer is constant (like it is in NYC), since they receive the occasional January thaw or July cool spell.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:45 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,566,536 times
Well my hometown is Nice but that didn't prevent me from experiencing snow and cold weather as 1) mountains are nearby and you can get to -10°C and snow with a 2 hours drive (ski resorts) 2) my parents used to own a house in a nearby Cfb/borderline Dfb climate (-4/5°C in winter), in the Alps, where it snowed every winter.

Although I agree that I was really nice to experience snow & cold stuff while being a kid, I'm glad it was occasional and I didn't have to cope with it every day, every winter

Old 09-14-2012, 02:16 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,271,677 times
The winter after I was born we were it with a huge blizzard. We received roughly a foot and a half to 2 feet of snow (approx 60cm) with snow drifts 6 feet (182cm) or more deep. There is a picture of our house with practically the first entire floor buried under snow. And my parents were stuck in there with a 5 month old!

So I grew up in a climate the experiences snow every winter. But in college I once dated a girl from Corpus Christi, Texas that had only seen snow a couple times in her life. She came to stay with me for a week at my parent's house during Christmas break and her last day, we got hit by a good snowstorm with several inches of snow. She was amazed that it was not only falling so hard, but that nothing was closed and we could still go out if we wanted to. The first thing she did, though, was plop down in the snow. Then she instantly got back up claiming it was cold and wet! I said, what did you expect! What did you think snow was?? Needless to say, the butt of her jeans was soaked. I found it rather funny. Her, not so much.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:24 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
But that's relative. Anybody can do any activity they want outdoors, provided hey have the tolerance for it, and kids have tolerance for almost anything. Kids don't care if it's too hot or too cold outside, dry or humid. Those are all adult concerns As for adults, we have posters on here that claim they can't function in anything but the hottest, most humid conditions and some who say that the colder it is, the better they can work outside.
Relative schmelative...anyone will agree that 20C/68F weather is better for playing sports than freezing weather where you fingers are numb to the bone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather