Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 12:55 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,869,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
The average highs over winter are 13-14C/56-58F, so not really the best for snow. 8 C/46F would occur as a maximum temp, probably only once every 1-2 years.

I started a thread some time ago, about places that very rarely see snow, but at the same time, can see it very close by for long periods. I don't think anywhere can beat the the top of the South Island for that.
That's very mild. I thought that parts of new Zealand had an average high of 8c but I guess not.

8c once every two years sounds a bit much. Considering it isn't exactly cold. So I'd say it's rare to see snow where you lice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 06:46 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,648,748 times
[quote=Joe90;26840468]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post

Hobart was the only other place I could think of as being most comparable. I get the impression though, that it snows more frequently in Hobart than here- even if it isn't much or often. Snow is a 10 -15 minute drive away a few times a winter here, and in some years would be even less, yet it has been 35 years between snowfalls (of an inch) in town.... and that was gone before sunrise

Mt Wellington is similar in height to the closest hills here, and about the same distance away. I don't think Hobart has views of higher mountains on which snow lies all winter. More sub alpine, rather than alpine. It is an impressive backdrop though. I wouldn't want to live anywhere without significant hills/mountains nearby.
I think your place wins as far as having so much snow nearby while remaining so snow-free, but some places in southern Europe might run close. I've been to Granada in late October and was surprised to see snow on the mountaintop (3500m) even at that time of year, and though while at Granada airport (567m) it does snow (the data given is for snow falling, which says nothing about snow accumulation) it can go years without getting anything at all. Somewhere in the city centre or at a slightly lower elevation nearby might be an option.:

Clima en Granada / Aeropuerto - Históricos el tiempo

Another possibility might be coastal parts of Sicily. Mt Etna is snowcapped all winter but the coastal villages which it overlooks don't get it very often. I went to a place called Taormina in 2006 and the place I was staying at had a picture of snow falling (but not settling) in the garden earlier that year, which suggests it's pretty unusual (couldn't find data). If Mt Etna was by the west coast rather than the east you could probably get what you are looking for.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:58 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
I assume somewhere on the US west coast might be similar. Most of the Californian coastal mountains aren't snowcapped most of the winter, but the interior ranges are.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:22 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,763,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfel View Post
For those accustomed to seeing snow every winter, it may be hard to realize what it means for us to see snow. For us, really, snow belongs to the world of fantasy. So when it suddenly appears, it's just magic.
I'm 30, and see snow every year. I've been up to my neck in snow, shoveled multiple cars that were buried past the tires, and shoveled so many driveways I'm surpirsed my back is still together but I still love it when it snows. Just like a new season, when everything is covered in it, its like living in a whole new place for a few days, weeks, or months.

I'd love to ride my bike year round in a warm climate, but I'm afraid I'm cold blooded, and need the seasons to change...

Last edited by smarterguy; 11-07-2012 at 08:44 AM..

Old 11-07-2012, 09:25 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,869,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I assume somewhere on the US west coast might be similar. Most of the Californian coastal mountains aren't snowcapped most of the winter, but the interior ranges are.
Thats because the mountains at coastal california are low.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:31 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Thats because the mountains at coastal california are low.
Yes, excluding Southern California they go to 4000-5000 feet. Southern Caliornia mountains go to 10,000 feet but they're too warm to be mostly snow covered. Usually. Here's an exception:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ne..._Montage_5.jpg

Old 11-07-2012, 11:12 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,658,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
That's very mild. I thought that parts of new Zealand had an average high of 8c but I guess not.

8c once every two years sounds a bit much. Considering it isn't exactly cold. So I'd say it's rare to see snow where you lice.
Yes very rare. It seems as though most people slept through the big snow last year, and it was gone by sunrise.

There are places in the hills around here with an 8C/46F high, but unlike your climate, have below freezing average lows. Snowfalls are frequent and often heavy at this altitude. The outdoor ice rink is usually open for about 8-10 weeks in this town.

Lake Rotoiti, New Zealand: Climate, Global Warming, and Daylight Charts and Data

Old 11-07-2012, 03:48 PM

473 posts, read 666,807 times
From what I've heard, it's quite normal for Hobart suburbs above 200m to see a few light snowfalls every winter. I remember seeing this on the Hobart webcam earlier this year.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:53 PM

3,500 posts, read 2,785,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I started a thread some time ago, about places that very rarely see snow, but at the same time, can see it very close by for long periods. I don't think anywhere can beat the the top of the South Island for that.
I to find that climates which receives little or no snow at sea level but have snow up in nearby mountains are superior due to having winter sports without having to put up with the fuss of shoveling snow. Not to mention better scenery

From my searching of climates I found a very intriguing climate in the third largest city in Croatia, Rijeka.

Rijeka - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thought it's a bit cooler then Nelson or Hobart in the winter it still rarely snows but skiing is just 10 km from the city, plus for a bonus it's hotter in the summer. I was looking around the city in street view and found it extremely scenic with mountains running right to the coast. One curiosity I noticed is that I didn't see any palm trees close to the waterfront but saw quite a few heading upwards including above the highway which runs above the city.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:05 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,410,464 times
No mild days this November. No day has even reached the seasonal average so it's been very cold as far as I'm concerned. Supposed to hit 9°C tomorrow but even that's only average and not above average here. Mild to me in Buxton in November would be 11 or higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather