Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How warm must it at least be?
Warm summers with no variable snowpack in winter 33 19.64%
Hot summers with no variable snowpack in winter 50 29.76%
Chilly winters and warm summers 15 8.93%
Chilly winters and hot summers 29 17.26%
Not any of the above (please explain) 41 24.40%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2021, 10:33 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Yes, banana is a rather obvious oversight.
I'm not even sure what they are trying to 'argue over' anymore!
I'm not sure why they are jumping down my throat over New Orleans? I don't think I even mentioned New Orleans? Not that I can remember anyway? All rather confusing - Arguing for the sake of it I guess.

Old 12-14-2021, 10:36 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emman85 View Post
So you mean by freezing you mean the daily averages, that's already the standard definition of subtropical.

New York City is historically a humid continental climate but because of global warming it is becoming more subtropical, I think it's daily average is a little above freezing at 33 degrees using the 1991-2020 data.
New York is far too cold in the winter to be 'sub-tropical'! I don't think anywhere that freezes as often as New York is anywhere near to 'sub-tropical'! Its so obviously a continental climate.

Old 12-14-2021, 10:45 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I'm not even sure what they are trying to 'argue over' anymore!
I'm not sure why they are jumping down my throat over New Orleans? I don't think I even mentioned New Orleans? Not that I can remember anyway? All rather confusing - Arguing for the sake of it I guess.
Indeed! - perhaps what I'm am now calling the "banana oversight incident", highlights a tendency to have the answer before the question is asked.

Old 12-14-2021, 11:59 AM

1,440 posts, read 2,541,288 times
Quote:
Yes they are! (the plants not the climates!) are bananas not tropical?! You haven't bothered to read the links have you!
Nah it's just Musa basjoo native to the subtropical highlands of Sichuan and Yunnan which also grows fine in NYC. I'm aware of what grows at Tresco, and even they don't claim to grow actual tropical plants

Old 12-14-2021, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
Nah it's just Musa basjoo native to the subtropical highlands of Sichuan and Yunnan which also grows fine in NYC. I'm aware of what grows at Tresco, and even they don't claim to grow actual tropical plants
That's only as a cultivar. Bananas are a tropical species, and basjoo will survive in the tropics.

I wouldn't say that grows fine in NYC, so much as they will grow well, but aren't guaranteed to survive without protection.

Old 12-14-2021, 12:46 PM

Quote:
That's only as a cultivar. Bananas are a tropical species, and basjoo will survive in the tropics.

I wouldn't say that grows fine in NYC, so much as they will grow well, but aren't guaranteed to survive without protection.
Nope they come back every year and thrive in the warm season. No need for protection.

Musa basjoo is a subtropical species, what is your point? That's ridiculous like saying Mediterranean fan palm is a palm, palms are tropical, and Mediterranean fan palm will survive in the tropics Transitive property hahaha

Most all edible bananas are cultivars of Musa acuminata from tropical Southeast Asia or are complex hybrids with a few other tropical species. Musa basjoo produces seedy fruit, no bueno for eating

Old 12-14-2021, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
Nope they come back every year and thrive in the warm season. No need for protection.

Musa basjoo is a subtropical species, what is your point? That's ridiculous like saying Mediterranean fan palm is a palm, palms are tropical, and Mediterranean fan palm will survive in the tropics Transitive property hahaha

Most all edible bananas are cultivars of Musa acuminata from tropical Southeast Asia or are complex hybrids with a few other tropical species. Musa basjoo produces seedy fruit, no bueno for eating
I've read about basjoo in NYC quite a bit - protection for them is common, and unprotected plants aren't guaranteed to come back

Musa are from the tropics, and will survive in the tropics. Mediterranean fan palms evolved in the Mediterranean and would likely struggle in tropical conditions , basjoo were bred in the subtropics, but are well suited to the tropics.

Basjoo does produce a small amount of edible flesh, but not enough to be worth the effort.

Old 12-14-2021, 01:03 PM

401 posts, read 256,451 times
Quote:
New York is far too cold in the winter to be 'sub-tropical'! I don't think anywhere that freezes as often as New York is anywhere near to 'sub-tropical'! Its so obviously a continental climate.
New York City(recently) is not really full blown humid continental, it does not keep a consistent snowpack during it's winters. It does not hold a candle to "real" continental climates like Winnipeg. In fact a lot of the time it's temps look similar to a place like London, temps in the 30s and 40s in winter, like in it's 7 day forest right now.

It's a borderline climate like most of the mid Atlantic cities.

It's funny how no one complains about New York or Washington Dc's winters not being cold enough for a continental climate, it shows just how one sided the discussion is.

Old 12-14-2021, 01:46 PM

256 posts, read 155,924 times
What makes a plant a subtropical plant?

Old 12-14-2021, 01:48 PM

Quote:
I've read about basjoo in NYC quite a bit - protection for them is common, and unprotected plants aren't guaranteed to come back

Musa are from the tropics, and will survive in the tropics. Mediterranean fan palms evolved in the Mediterranean and would likely struggle in tropical conditions , basjoo were bred in the subtropics, but are well suited to the tropics.

Basjoo does produce a small amount of edible flesh, but not enough to be worth the effort.
Nope, they are fine in NYC. You do need to mulch in Ontario. Oh and stop stretching it, small amount of "edible" flesh. Yes I guess technically it's edible trifoliate orange is also technically "edible" and technically "citrus" and grows fine in NYC as well

Med fan palm actually does fine in the tropics like Thailand.

Last edited by Asagi; 12-14-2021 at 01:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather