Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 08:57 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnc19694339 View Post
44 years of this and Im done! I use to ski and snowmobile when I was in my teens and early 20s but I am at the point that I do not want to even go outside anymore in the winter.

It doesnt help that we average 120 inches of snow here in Syracuse and I am sick and tired of it! It is downright dangerous to try and get around in the snow. Just walking to your vehicle you have to be super careful that you dont slip and fall on the ice, and this is EVERYDAY all winter! Not just a day here or there. I am on a mission to move to a warmer climate down south.

Anyone else had enough of it?
Syracuse? Oh, good grief. According to the Farmer's Almanac you all have the worst winters in the country.

We lived in northern Minnesota until a few years ago. Now we all live in Austin, TX and North Carolina. We can't imagine how, or even why, we stayed in Minnesota for so many years. Every Halloween costume included a snow suit. You couldn't put out bedding plants until Memorial Day. And even then you risked losing them to the odd frost.

Duluth, MN is known as the City of Fallen Women so many have slipped and broken hips and shoulders... Rotator cuff injuries are so common you wouldn't believe it.

When I was young it seemed like no big deal. But now even our kids think we were nuts to stay for so long.

Good luck with your move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 11:46 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,804,194 times
Nope I'm just the opposite. I want to move to Maine for more snow. This winter has been the best ever. We had twice the snow we are supposed to get. It's March 3rd and there's still several inches of snow on the ground. Very unusual but it makes me happy happy happy.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:25 PM

100 posts, read 119,221 times
I moved from Connecticut to Atlanta. I have family in Syracuse and attended college upstate NY so I can sympathize with you. We had an odd winter this year. Two significant ice/snow events back to back, but when they occur we close the entire state for a few days and bring in FEMA, National Guard, & the Red Cross (sorta joking, I don't think FEMA came).
I've been here since 2009 and this was the worst winter weather I've seen here. We had a bad Ice Storm in 2011 and we were closed for 5 Days. The temp stayed below freezing so nothing melted. People are comparing this winter to the 1980's and 1970's
Overall there are more sunny days here in Atlanta during the winter. It doesn't usually stay below freezing for consecutive days or in the day time.
Were in flip flop season. It was 75 yesterday and 50 today, this up and down and back and forth will probably last another month or so and hopefully it will stay warm too.

I hope you find a climate that makes you happy. Winter and snow make me angry, depressed, frustrated and sad.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:42 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,217,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgreenel View Post
Were in flip flop season. It was 75 yesterday and 50 today
Both sound like the perfect weather for flip flops .

Old 03-03-2014, 02:58 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,321,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
The Carolinas aren't bad, either. I just recently moved to Pennsylvania from Winston-Salem, NC (just in time for the worst winter EVER in my life) and I can't figure out how I ever survived these brutal northern winters (I lived in Rochester for awhile, just one city over from Syracuse).

The Piedmont area of North Carolina (Winston-Salem/Greensboro/Raleigh) is actually quite mild without losing all four seasons. It isn't uncommon to be coat-less as late as Thanksgiving, and by March, the trees are budding. Winters are brief and the weather is very stable.

My old forum had a weather discussion board, too, and people wondered why I never posted there. I told them it's because where I live in NC, there is no weather. Just sunshsine and clear skies all the time. There can be a few scorchers in the summer, but that's a better deal than having all of your plans dependent on the weather for 6 months out of the year.
I must be picky then, because I left NC in the 90s because I considered the weather too unpredictable. I absolutely cannot STAND "wild swings" in the temperatures, they infuriate me to pieces, and just as they did in other places in NC it was common to hear people say "if you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes and it'll change." No, thank you.

Today in eastern TX, it got "up" to about 24 degrees for a HIGH. Our normal high is 64. That is 40 degrees below normal. Are you kidding me? 40 degrees? That would be like a high of 130 during the summer instead of it being 90. It would be like a high of 110 in spring instead of 70, or a high of 30.

I don't normally gripe about "wild swings" in the winter as I do the spring, but this winter has been unreal. Honestly, I think this is nothing less than EVIL, maybe not on the level of "evil" as that done by the North Korean government, but it's certainly very annoying and bipolar at the VERY least. There simply is no call for any of it whatsoever. Mother Nature needs to get her head out of her anus and wake the freak up already. It I wanted a bipolar experience, I'd visit a psychiatric ward.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:32 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,770,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
i must be picky then, because i left nc in the 90s because i considered the weather too unpredictable. I absolutely cannot stand "wild swings" in the temperatures, they infuriate me to pieces, and just as they did in other places in nc it was common to hear people say "if you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes and it'll change." no, thank you.

Today in eastern tx, it got "up" to about 24 degrees for a high. Our normal high is 64. That is 40 degrees below normal. Are you kidding me? 40 degrees? That would be like a high of 130 during the summer instead of it being 90. It would be like a high of 110 in spring instead of 70, or a high of 30.

I don't normally gripe about "wild swings" in the winter as i do the spring, but this winter has been unreal. Honestly, i think this is nothing less than evil, maybe not on the level of "evil" as that done by the north korean government, but it's certainly very annoying and bipolar at the very least. There simply is no call for any of it whatsoever. Mother nature needs to get her head out of her anus and wake the freak up already. It i wanted a bipolar experience, i'd visit a psychiatric ward.
lmao

Old 03-03-2014, 07:56 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,326,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FVWinters View Post
Try Santa Barbara - if you can afford it.
Isn't that always the thing — places with the best weather are super-expensive.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:05 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,749,458 times
If price tag was no object I would probably pick San Diego.

Since it is, I picked Ozarks of northern Arkansas.

I'm satisfied .

Old 03-03-2014, 08:13 PM

23,224 posts, read 29,066,081 times
When I lived in MN I heard a litany of people saying this (I've had enough of this!) every March or April, and then? Amnesia sets in the first nice day of Spring, and more amnesia sets in come summer!

And then next year, I heard it all over again!

Let's pray that you have a rotten Spring around Syracuse, and an equally rotten summer and Fall, and then, maybe then, the house goes up for sale and you finally realize your dream!

Old 03-03-2014, 08:56 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times
Ice off the lakes will probably be June this year for northern Wisconsin. Until then, I will just try to imagine that this is actually an Alaska or Russian climate in the interim period. Lows were -25 to -32F for central and northern Wisconsin this morning with -8 to -16F for the southern areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather