Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When will London reach 20c?
Before 1 Mar 1 2.44%
1-15 Mar 0 0%
16-31 Mar 1 2.44%
1-15 Apr 10 24.39%
16-30 Apr 5 12.20%
1-15 May 9 21.95%
16 May or later 15 36.59%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 10:27 AM
B87 B87 started this thread

11,769 posts, read 10,604,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Our humidity when it's warm is around 30-40% in the afternoon. Maybe that's why we rarely get thunderstorms?
Our humidity is around 40-50% and most of our hot spells end with thunderstorms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 10:30 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Our humidity when it's warm is around 30-40% in the afternoon. Maybe that's why we rarely get thunderstorms?
Seattle doesn't get many thunderstorms, because high pressure inhibits convective buildup.

The humidity isn't high due, to SSTs being so low. Although 30-40% during hot weather, isn't that dry.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:07 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,938,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guajara View Post
They may have very well surpassed the official Values by a bit.

The Highest ever official April Temperature in Munich City was 32.2°C/90°F.
April 2012

It stands alone.
The Munich City weather station exists since 1954.
The old Record from a different weather station was 28,7°C in April 1934.

That day (28th April) Munich was the warmest City of Europe tied with Ajaccio

Despite this day, April 2012 overall wasn't anything special, just a little bit warmer than Average.

What are the record highs for Bratislava, Vienna, and Freiburg for April?

I'm just wondering if that record high in Munich is related to a foehn wind coming from the south over the Alps? Isn't Munich just north of the Alps?

Look at the definition of foehn lol: a hot southerly wind on the northern slopes of the Alps.

Kamloops, BC has reached 91.4F in the month of April and that is at almost 51N. South wind coming over the Cascade mountains is most likely the reason.

I'm at latitude 40N and our max high in April is not much higher at 95F. But we have gone over 90F in 16 different years in April since 1888. We are at sea level and probably too close to the ocean to go much higher in April than the mid 90'sF.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
It's quite variable. West coast Med climates generally have lower humidity, from lower SSTs, while the Mediterranean basin has higher humidity, from warmer SSTs.

The Med is an enclosed sea so I imagine the warm SST are purely from sun in summer and solar heating. There are really no large ocean currents in the Med bringing warm water from the tropics or cold from the Arctic. Look at the Gulf of CA (Sea of Cortez). It heats up incredibly in summer for the same reason.

The West Coast of Portugal has quite cold SST's for my liking compared to the Med coast of Spain. Similar to CA in the same way.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:21 PM
B87 B87 started this thread

11,769 posts, read 10,604,174 times
Our April record is 29.4c, but that was set in the middle of the month so 30c or even 32c is surely possible at the end.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
The Med is an enclosed sea so I imagine the warm SST are purely from sun in summer and solar heating. There are really no large ocean currents in the Med bringing warm water from the tropics or cold from the Arctic. Look at the Gulf of CA (Sea of Cortez). It heats up incredibly in summer for the same reason.

The West Coast of Portugal has quite cold SST's for my liking compared to the Med coast of Spain. Similar to CA in the same way.
That's true. Seattle also exhibits the same west coast Mediterranean tendency for warmer air temperatures, than sea temperatures.

Cfb climates on the other hand, have summer air and sea temperatures very close, or even with a warmer sea temperature than air temperature, like my climate, or the UK.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
That's true. Seattle also exhibits the same west coast Mediterranean tendency for warmer air temperatures, than sea temperatures.

Cfb climates on the other hand, have summer air and sea temperatures very close, or even with a warmer sea temperature than air temperature, like my climate, or the UK.

Only in the winter though right? The UK air temps are warmer than their SST in summer I'm sure.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Only in the winter though right? The UK air temps are warmer than their SST in summer I'm sure.
Yep, I was wrong about that one. The UK is still a lot closer in the summer, than Seattle is though.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:18 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,686,369 times
Quote:
What are the record highs for Bratislava, Vienna, and Freiburg for April?

I'm just wondering if that record high in Munich is related to a foehn wind coming from the south over the Alps? Isn't Munich just north of the Alps?

Look at the definition of foehn lol: a hot southerly wind on the northern slopes of the Alps.

Kamloops, BC has reached 91.4F in the month of April and that is at almost 51N. South wind coming over the Cascade mountains is most likely the reason.

I'm at latitude 40N and our max high in April is not much higher at 95F. But we have gone over 90F in 16 different years in April since 1888. We are at sea level and probably too close to the ocean to go much higher in April than the mid 90'sF.
Record April High Temperature in Freiburg was 29,4C or 29,8°C (Two different weather stations)
I don't know the Values for Vienna and Bratislava.

I'm not sure how important the foehn wind was that day.

As you can see the heat was reaching all the way up to Berlin on that day.(No mountains there)

The West Coast of Portugal has relatively cold SSTs compared to the Mediterranean.
But it's quite a bit warmer on average than comparable places like the West coast of California and Chile at the same latitude.
So probably the Gulf Stream has a small warming effect there.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guajara View Post
Record April High Temperature in Freiburg was 29,4C or 29,8°C (Two different weather stations)
I don't know the Values for Vienna and Bratislava.

I'm not sure how important the foehn wind was that day.

As you can see the heat was reaching all the way up to Berlin on that day.(No mountains there)

The West Coast of Portugal has relatively cold SSTs compared to the Mediterranean.
But it's quite a bit warmer on average than comparable places like the West coast of California and Chile at the same latitude.
So probably the Gulf Stream has a small warming effect there.
That only extends to Portugal then cause North Africa SST's are not as warm as Baja CA.

The sea temperatures are quite a bit warmer in Baja CA sur along the Pacific coast than they are along the coast of North Africa at the same latitude. Mid 70'sF and warmer at a place like La Bocana vs 70F along the coast of Western Sahara.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather