Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 04:12 AM

5,706 posts, read 3,777,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
Well no, seeing as there's more than one official met office site in London, simply saying "London", implies that he's talking about the whole city. London is a massive city, so inevitably it can have significant temperature differences, particularly away from central London.
As B87 lives near Heathrow, then it makes sense for him to use that site, which is fair enough. As he's now clarified, he meant Heathrow hasn't had a frost, which is correct, however another station (Northolt) has, therefore officially, London has had a frost.
so just because I can find a station in the Redlands that gets a frost every year even though it's 39F at my house, 41F downtown, and 40F at the airport, Miami gets a frost every year? That doesn't seem logical to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2016, 04:59 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,820,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
so just because I can find a station in the Redlands that gets a frost every year even though it's 39F at my house, 41F downtown, and 40F at the airport, Miami gets a frost every year? That doesn't seem logical to me.
Of course it's logical. The minimum temperature that city fell to is say -1C, yet for instance 20 miles away on the other side of the city, it only fell to 2C, the minimum for the entire city will still be -1C.
I'm not talking about specific suburbs, but the city as a whole.

Old 11-06-2016, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Of course it's logical. The minimum temperature that city fell to is say -1C, yet for instance 20 miles away on the other side of the city, it only fell to 2C, the minimum for the entire city will still be -1C.
I'm not talking about specific suburbs, but the city as a whole.
So you would agree with someone saying that Miami gets a freeze every year even though the average yearly minimum at MIA is 39.8F? Just because some rural area with sandy soil sees huge temperature drops on clear, calm nights when most of the city doesn't?

To the same effect should I say L.A has "reached 110F" in the spring even though the highest temp at the official station might only be in the lower 90's?

Old 11-06-2016, 05:21 AM

Quote:
So you would agree with someone saying that Miami gets a freeze every year even though the average yearly minimum at MIA is 39.8F? Just because some rural area with sandy soil sees huge temperature drops on clear, calm nights when most of the city doesn't?

To the same effect should I say L.A has "reached 110F" in the spring even though the highest temp at the official station might only be in the lower 90's?
Depends where this station is that you speak of?

Northolt, which had a freeze, is well within the built up area of London. It's not in the middle of nowhere, it's well within the city.
Why do you keep mentioning "official station"? Met office stations are 'official'.

So by your definition, if Northolt reached 40C in summer, it wouldn't count because it's not the "official station".

How odd.

Old 11-06-2016, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Depends where this station is that you speak of?

Northolt, which had a freeze, is well within the built up area of London. It's not in the middle of nowhere, it's well within the city.
Why do you keep mentioning "official station"? Met office stations are 'official'.

So by your definition, if Northolt reached 40C in summer, it wouldn't count because it's not the "official station". How odd.
It wouldn't count as London reaching 40C. It would count as the UK reaching 40C though. The Redlands (the are of south Florida which records a frost nearly every year) is only about a 30-40 minute drive from Downtown Miami and is part of the continuous developed area of metropolitan Miami. However, not for one second would I say that "Miami had a freeze" if it dipped to 0C there because 1. It's not representative of Miami as a whole and 2. The OFFICIAL station, from which all the temperature records, averages, and observations come from did not record a freeze.

I have my own issues with the official station (MIA), namely it's tendency to be the warmest location in the city of Miami (the coast often records colder lows than it ) but it is what it is.

Old 11-06-2016, 05:33 AM

Quote:
It wouldn't count as London reaching 40C. It would count as the UK reaching 40C though.
I thought you'd say that. No offence, but that is idiotic.

I'd like to know if anybody else on planet earth shares that rather strange opinion?

Old 11-06-2016, 05:34 AM

Quote:

I'd like to know if anybody else on planet earth shares that rather strange opinion?
None taken .

Old 11-06-2016, 05:35 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,604,174 times
Quote:
It wouldn't count as London reaching 40C. It would count as the UK reaching 40C though.
But all of the Met Office stations are official stations. I only use Heathrow as it's closest to me and is an airport.

Old 11-06-2016, 05:36 AM

Quote:

So you think it's OK to cherry pick the warmest and coldest stations in your city and pass it off as a representation of the city as a whole? Ok, it was 61F in Miami this morning

Old 11-06-2016, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
But all of the Met Office stations are official stations. I only use Heathrow as it's closest to me and is an airport.
I know that, but Heathrow is the official station for London. There are official coop stations that are way colder than MIA but I don't use them because it's ridiculous to ignore the fact that there is a single station which logs all of the data for the city of Miami (likewise, Heathrow records all the official data and provides the averages for the city of London) I feel like I'm arguing with L.A Mex here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather