Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2017, 07:14 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
Gorgeous, long day!

Very nice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 07:48 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Went to my favorite hiking spot yesterday. Sunny and in the 50s with a cool breeze. Lots of muddy areas with the recent rains and snow melt.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:24 AM

2,155 posts, read 1,541,788 times
I've been posting a lot recently, so feel free to tell me if you think I'm spamming.

We wen't down to our cabin in the woods, close to the sea but on a forest hill. Still a lot of snow there, even 30 cm at certain points.

Down closer to sea level, flat grounds are now almost completely snow free. Some don't have any snow at all, but it's not like you can't find snow if you go looking for it. It snowed a little yesterday, but it didn't settle on roads and come the morning, all new snow melted pretty quickly.

I went to take a look at the Bothnian bay, which isn't frozen even though there's almost no salt at all in the water. Very warm as well. About 12'C, and completely calm, even by the coast.

It is frozen along the shore of this small port though.

Junipers in Norrland don't grow into trees; they grow diagonally and sideways into bushes. This one has managed to grow straight up like a tree though!

These are very trivial around here, but I realized they are very rare in most parts of the world, so I figured I'd take some pictures of some. Giant boulders in the middle of nowhere, left by the glaciers after the ice age. Not great examples here though as these are pretty small and overgrown. My girlfriend's neighbor lives in the middle of an open field and right next to a giant boulder larger than the house. Should take a picture of that some time...

I like field layers consisting of lingonberry. They greens up the place!

What are these? Wild miniature rhododendron?

Old 04-09-2017, 09:32 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
No no Baba, quite the contrary! Keep the pictures coming!

Old 04-09-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
No no Baba, quite the contrary! Keep the pictures coming!

I wish Lommaren with all his biking would stop once in a while and document the spring progress down there...

Old 04-09-2017, 11:48 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,733,717 times
Yeah as long as don't post 50 pictures of the same tree/building/whatever you're not spamming as far as I'm concerned. Plus you're the furthest north of us all along with Jakobsli, so it's interesting to follow the progression of spring up there!

Here it was a rather pleasant day for early April too, with blue dome skies and a high diurnal range (25/5°C). Took the advantage of this great weather to inundate the photo thread with top quality pics.

Shades are getting shorter and shorter:

Camellia (?) losing its flowers

It's scenes like these that have earned Paris its reputation for harmonious streetscapes.

Old 04-09-2017, 12:32 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,818,168 times
Instead of going outside, I'll run from the comfort of my own home today.

Plus a couple from today.
This one is from Scarborough Bridge, looking towards town.

This one is from outside the Museum Gardens, looking in the same direction as the above photo.

Old 04-09-2017, 01:23 PM

3,600 posts, read 2,693,663 times
^^Very much leafed out it seems, watched briefly a bike race from Yorkshire today, full spring there indeed, is it a little earlier than average?

Was up on mountain plateau in Central Norway skiing this weekend. This is at the treeline at ca 800 m asl. Temperature up to 8C in the early afternoon, colder morning.

White tundra

Something as rare as a tundra world heritage: Storwartz (900 m). Skiing some 22 km across the tundra and taiga this day.

Complete with tundra dogs at Storwartz. Known to be extremely aggressive..but I escaped in one piece...

Step back in time in the subarctic world heritage (650 m)

With some decent subarctic hotels

And this must be the world heritage bike...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%B8ros

Last edited by Jakobsli; 04-09-2017 at 01:42 PM..

Old 04-09-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobsli View Post
^^Very much leafed out it seems, wathced briefly a bike race from Yorkshire today, full spring there indeed, is it a little earlier than average?

Was up on mountain plateau in Central Norway skiing this weekend. This is at the treeline at ca 800 m asl. Temperature up to 8C in the early afternoon, colder morning.

White tundra

Something as rare as a tundra world heritage: Storwartz (900 m). Skiing some 22 km across the tundra and taiga this day.

Complete with tundra dogs at Storwartz. Known to be extremely agressive..but I escaped in one piece...

Nice pictures! How is it going down at sea level? I'm obviously having a friendly little competition with you and Edmonton regarding spring personally I wonder who will start leafing first of us three. Well, I'm guessing Edmonton will win, followed by you and lastly me, but it'll be interesting to see the difference. I guess JetsNHL can join as well.

Old 04-09-2017, 02:15 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,818,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobsli View Post
^^Very much leafed out it seems, watched briefly a bike race from Yorkshire today, full spring there indeed, is it a little earlier than average?

White tundra

Complete with tundra dogs at Storwartz. Known to be extremely aggressive..but I escaped in one piece...

Yeah I think we're a week or so ahead, although I'm not too certain. This is only my 3rd year back in York, and I can't really remember what's normal​ tbh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather