Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2017, 06:26 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,389,340 times

Advertisements

Beautiful pics everyone!!! Alberta, France and Norway are very beautiful, jealous of you folks who live in such beautiful regions. Makes me realize just how boring geographically South FL is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 07:38 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,626,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Beautiful pics everyone!!! Alberta, France and Norway are very beautiful, jealous of you folks who live in such beautiful regions. Makes me realize just how boring geographically South FL is.
Oh yes, poor of you...

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/me...6/key-west.jpg

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/cont...ero/EYW_01.jpg

https://d3ne5s9fv9p81l.cloudfront.ne...0343a07844.jpg

I guess anyone envies what he doesn't have. I would love to have that tropical light blue sea water combined with white sand beaches and tall coconuts with cocos under them...

At least we got semiwhite sand in our beach and crystalline waters near the coast. But btw, nothing compared to south Florida...

Old 04-17-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post
Oh yes, poor of you...

I guess anyone envies what he doesn't have. I would love to have that tropical light blue sea water combined with white sand beaches and tall coconuts with cocos under them... At least we got semiwhite sand in our beach.

It gets boring after a while, anyways living here doesn't mean you're at the beach everyday.

99% of South FL is boring ass swampland anyways, not much of interest. Beaches really are only like 1% of the geography here. But alas, someone who doesn't live here looks at South FL and just glorifies the beaches. And I'm much more of a mountain person than a beach one. It's a nice world we live that not everyone likes the same thing, right? Of course, I wouldn't expect the likes of you to understand that not everyone jerks off to palm trees and beaches.

Last edited by alex985; 04-17-2017 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: deleting rude comment

Old 04-17-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
It gets boring after a while, anyways living here doesn't mean you're at the beach everyday.

99% of South FL is boring ass swampland anyways, not much of interest. Beaches really are only like 1% of the geography here. But alas, someone who doesn't live here looks at South FL as just glorifies the beaches. And I'm much more of a mountain person than a beach one. It's a nice world we live that not everyone likes the same thing, right?
Yes, of course. Oh, in that case, would you change Altea for Miami? I will show you things I have within 30 miles (48km) of Altea.

For not bothering nei and for not making large this post, I will put a number on each pic and the link to see it.

Pic 1, Pic 2, Pic 3, Pic 4, Pic 5, Pic 6, Pic 7, Pic 8, Pic 9, Pic 10.

All are as much as 30mi/50km from me. Some are even in less than 20km from me (12mi). I think you will enjoy every photo.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:59 PM

Yeah, I would much rather prefer Altea's geography to Miami. At least you have varied landscapes, mountains, beaches, etc. Here outside the metro area, looks the same even up to about 80 miles (130 km) out. If you look at a map of FL, anything south of Lake Okeechobee is pretty just boring, flat swampland. Although this area's cloudscapes during summer can be quite impressive, as this area is where both sea breezes meet up.

Central and North FL is a bit more interesting, there's more hills and farmland and whatnot.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:27 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,960,191 times
Quote:
Oh yes, poor of you...

I guess anyone envies what he doesn't have. I would love to have that tropical light blue sea water combined with white sand beaches and tall coconuts with cocos under them...

At least we got semiwhite sand in our beach and crystalline waters near the coast. But btw, nothing compared to south Florida...

Florida is like table top flat and just barely above sea level and really is boring aesthetically with all the bland developments, no historical architecture besides from the 1930's lol. There are no medieval churches perches on headlands like in Spain. South Florida is over developed condo's and apartments and strip malls galore, all squeezed up against like 20 miles of coastline.

Be all underwater in a matter of decades while Spain will be thriving. Don't be jealous. And the only really clear blue water is south of Jensen Beach. Jacksonville beaches are crap gray sand and brown ocean water. Been there, and the beach is really rather unappealing. Spain and the whole Med in general have far more attractive beaches than Florida. The water around Majorca is beautiful and the rock formations and the same for Greece. Only a bit of FL has clear blue water and just flat as far as the eye can see.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:34 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,960,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Here are the panoramas. Click on each (not just the yellow header bar) to get the full size.

Lake Louise.

Bow Lake, Crowfoot Mountain, Mount Thompson.

Bow Lake, view to Bow Glacier.

Amazing photos and truly beautiful Ed!

Old 04-17-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Florida is like table top flat and just barely above sea level and really is boring aesthetically with all the bland developments, no historical architecture besides from the 1930's lol. There are no medieval churches perches on headlands like in Spain. South Florida is over developed condo's and apartments and strip malls galore, all squeezed up against like 20 miles of coastline.

Be all underwater in a matter of decades while Spain will be thriving. Don't be jealous. And the only really clear blue water is south of Jensen Beach. Jacksonville beaches are crap gray sand and brown ocean water. Been there, and the beach is really rather unappealing. Spain and the whole Med in general have far more attractive beaches than Florida. The water around Majorca is beautiful and the rock formations and the same for Greece. Only a bit of FL has clear blue water and just flat as far as the eye can see.
Thanks for the explanation.

I've seen a very beautiful small city with Spanish colonial architecture in Florida, they have lots of Spanish flags there.

Unfortunately I don't remember its name. Do you know which one is?

And about the beaches I was referring to Key West, I thought all of southern Florida has beaches like that.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:54 PM

5,753 posts, read 3,539,544 times
This next batch won't be nearly as picturesque as the last. Back to Edmonton now and it was a pretty grim reception: slate grey overcast and about 3°C.

Just outside of town the recent snow from the day we left (Friday) was still largely present.

In town the slighty warmer temperatures had managed to make a bigger dent in the coverage.

There are a few buds trying to grow. Progress towards leaf-out has been slowed considerably though by the recent cooler temperatures. Sorry about the poor quality: I was using my phone.

Larger trees still have a way to go. The tree in the foreground is the only sugar maple I know of in town (most of the deciduous trees are poplar or elm) and it's nowhere near leafing out.

Some of the perennials have started to grow however.

But the recent cold temperatures (down to -10°C at the airport yesterday) have taken their toll.

The progress depends a lot on sun exposure though: places with strong sun are progressing much faster. This garden is in a south-facing courtyard of an apartment building and it looks two or three weeks ahead of everything else in the vicinity.

North-facing places are effectively in a different climate zone. This flowerbed is only about 50 meters from the one above.

Overall still looking for spring to arrive.

Rather a bit depressing after the majesty of Banff but still you definitely get the sense spring is trying hard to prevail despite the recent curve balls thrown at it.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation.

I've seen a very beautiful small city with Spanish colonial architecture in Florida, they have lots of Spanish flags there.

Unfortunately I don't remember its name. Do you know which one is?

And about the beaches I was referring to Key West, I thought all of southern Florida has beaches like that.

That sounds like St. Augustine, which in North FL a good 300 miles (482 km) from me, so pretty far. Key West is a good 175 miles (281 km) from me, so both are quite far.

And nah, not all South FL has beaches like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather