Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2017, 12:04 PM

2,155 posts, read 1,541,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
I've been busy at work so I haven't been able to post any pictures lately but I did have a chance yesterday so here goes.

Almost all of the snow has melted: there's just a few small piles not worth shooting. No leafing yet though.

What did happen yesterday was we had a huge ice floe come through town on the river. Luckily it didn't dam up so there was no flooding but it sure looked spectacular.

Pano of the river valley and ice floe:

Looking the other way you can see the grass is thinking about turning green in places but there are no leaves anywhere yet. Ice floe visible on the left.

Ice floe up close:

I also took a couple of quick videos of it:

http://youtu.be/sXq59fo84qw

https://youtu.be/O8WNNhw88lU

Down in the river valley you get a good sense for the state of spring.

Finally I took a quick walk around the legislature grounds. This is probably the warmest part of town from the UHI so spring is further along here than anywhere else.

Up close view of one of the flower beds on the legislature grounds. Hostas are still fast asleep.

Here you can see some a perennial trying to push up. Elephant Ears (Bergenia--another perennial) are also visible; they seem to keep their green leaves all winter even when snow covered so as soon as the melt happens they're the first green leafy plant around here.

Alas, it might be all for naught as there seems to be a spring snowstorm on the way:
I guess it's hard to tell how far spring has progressed since we're both kind of in that dead zone after the snow is gone where nothing really happens. We have more snow than you though, and now that it's snowed today, places previously covered with any ice or snow, are now covered with a bright white dusting of snow. And our river is still not opened up yet. I'd say there's a 70/30 ratio of ice to water.

I don't know if we simply tend to plant more early-spring flowers, but our flower progress definitely seems to be further along than yours though which is surprising since you've been a lot warmer the last couple of weeks. We've even had a couple of hard freezes down to -9'C the last couple of weeks

The flowers and plants haven't taken kindly to it.

Some have managed to do better though, like these creeper vines.

Or these strawberry plants.

Or this blackcurrant bush, at least the parts of it touching the walls.

Or this rhubarb plant.

Or this plant

Or these... leaves?

Or these... things?

These tulip leaves are growing pretty big, but still no tulips

They haven't grown an incredible amount since two weeks ago though when they already looked like this.

It certainly did go well for these flowers, but up close they look like they're close to dying.

Especially considering our 10 day forecast looks like this

Your forecast doesn't seem that bad anymore does it?

All in all there's a lot of green plants and flowers around my neighborhood now. There isn't a lot more progression, and the flowers that managed to bloom in March, actually looked a lot healthier back then than they do now. However, there are a lot more of those flowers. Flowers that were completely open in March are still sprouting, but now there are a lot more sprouts than back then, so that's the main difference I guess. I am a little disappointed in how little 2 weeks has managed to do though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 12:18 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,979,990 times
So, Baba is your location similar to Labrador in that snow cover lasts to May? I can't imagine any snow melting in those shocking temperatures.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
So, Baba is your location similar to Labrador in that snow cover lasts to May? I can't imagine any snow melting in those shocking temperatures.
Some years it does happen that snow cover lasts into May, although it hasn't really happened in at least 7 years. I wouldn't say we have a snow cover anymore though. Some areas of the city kinda do, but snow probably only covers less than 5% of Umeå's total area, or perhaps roughly 10% of all grass and fields.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:36 PM

Not sure what this tree species is?
Attached Thumbnails
Spring 2017 Photo Thread (NH)-image.jpeg  

Old 04-12-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
Some years it does happen that snow cover lasts into May, although it hasn't really happened in at least 7 years. I wouldn't say we have a snow cover anymore though. Some areas of the city kinda do, but snow probably only covers less than 5% of Umeå's total area, or perhaps roughly 10% of all grass and fields.
That's crazy. (I thought you said it just snowed?)

Old 04-12-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
That's crazy. (I thought you said it just snowed?)
It did the night to yesterday as well as today. Two days ago it rained a lot, but it turned to snow at night. Almost all melted either on contact with the ground or before the morning light though. Today it snowed a long time, but it was only sprinkles, a lot of which melted on contact with ground, the rest of which melted during the span of today. They didn't melt on contact with ice and snow though, and so everything that was already covered with snow or ice got an extra dusting of snow, less than a centimeter extra though. All in all it didn't do much to actually extend the total area covered by snow.

Well, we are only 3 degrees off the arctic circle. It's not uncommon for us to have 5 whole months of continuous snow cover, like 10/11 and 12/13. Although I guess Umeå's total snow season will be maybe 2 weeks less than showed on their graphs as they don't have any snow reporting stations nearby.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:57 PM

Think I would move further south if I were you. I love snow but I wouldn't be pleased with snow cover to May.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Think I would move further south if I were you. I love snow but I wouldn't be pleased with snow cover to May.
I would like to move south as well lol. It's not as easy a thing to do though when you've got a significant other.

Old 04-12-2017, 02:06 PM

Lol, well you're only 18.

Old 04-12-2017, 02:11 PM

83,525 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
I've been busy at work so I haven't been able to post any pictures lately but I did have a chance yesterday so here goes.

Almost all of the snow has melted: there's just a few small piles not worth shooting. No leafing yet though.

What did happen yesterday was we had a huge ice floe come through town on the river. Luckily it didn't dam up so there was no flooding but it sure looked spectacular.

Pano of the river valley and ice floe:

Looking the other way you can see the grass is thinking about turning green in places but there are no leaves anywhere yet. Ice floe visible on the left.

Ice floe up close:

Cool video, thanks! I bet you guys have barges that break up the ice. I've seen the CT River with chunks of ice on it in March so no surprise you got that in April. And wasn't it one of the warmest winter on record there? Maybe not actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather