Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 07:33 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,950,547 times

Advertisements

I know that everyone is entitled to their opinion when it comes to their weather taste. However though, we're also entitled to be bothered or irked by how ridiculous their taste(s) can be.

My gripes:

*Those who say "too dry/too wet" for climates that aren't even too wet or dry. "Too dry" for a city receiving 1000mm of annual rain (yep, I came across that) and "too wet" for 800mm with rain days less than 100. If you're a desert or a rainforest climate lover, just admit it. Lol.

*Giving an automatic F rating for a mild desert climate which is usually rather livable and pleasant (a la, Lima, Arica, Walvis Bay, etc) because it's "too dry" and "lethal". Dude, what lethal? These are cities, you know? There is access to water. And if these are F's, then what the hell is Vostok Station and Dallol?

*"Too boring" for climates lacking seasonality and snow. Give them continuous thunder and blizzards, they'll probably be the first to complain.

Of course, that's nothing against them as people. Even I probably have annoying weather tastes. So let's not get mad if my post indirectly reflects you.

So, what are your pet peeves when it comes to these people that you "disagree" with?

Old 02-22-2017, 07:35 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,132 times
1000 mm is too dry lol...

People who gripe about jacaranda's and a temperature that occurs once every 100 maybe 150 or even 200 years or so. This thread might lead to conflict, I know the one about 1000mm being dry was aimed at me lol, obviously I didn't take offense though.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:05 PM

7,033 posts, read 4,952,726 times
Hobart > Charleston because of more stable winters for palm trees.

That always confused me. Charleston has way better weather for palms, who gives a **** about the once in 50 year event where it gets to -10C.

Last edited by jgtheone; 02-22-2017 at 08:14 PM..

Old 02-22-2017, 08:24 PM

1,363 posts, read 791,180 times
People from Melbourne/southern Vic on the Australian Weather Forum that treat anything resembling summer weather as if it's plutonium and start spruiking doomsday hyperbole bull**** about things like bushfire threats etc every time it exceeds 30C even though they already live in the coldest, cloudiest, most cold front/seabreeze-infested place in mainland Australia with the shortest and coolest summers, not to mention the most miserable coldest overcast wintry winters to be found near sea level in the nation.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:02 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,699,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
Hobart > Charleston because of more stable winters for palm trees.

That always confused me. Charleston has way better weather for palms, who gives a **** about the once in 50 year event where it gets to -10C.
I bet that Hobart can grow more species of palms than Charleston long term. Charleston still has better overall weather though.

My pet peeve are people who say they love snow and really cold winters and have never felt a freezing temp before.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:38 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
People who root for cold waves in Spring. I understand rooting for cold weather in winter where it's cool to see how many degrees below average it could reach, or to have lots of snow, but what's the point of wanting a cold wave in April or May? By the second half of April, a cold wave in the Northeast is not gonna be pretty snowflakes and Christmas carols everywhere, instead it will be nasty 40 degree weather. If any snow does fall, it's turning into gray slush the next day. And in May it's gonna be nasty 50 degree weather with cold rain and hail in the mix. Who the hell wants that?? Especially after a long winter

Old 02-22-2017, 09:58 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,214,588 times
I would be one of those people whose complaints would be over desert climates and/or semi arid climates. I have never understood how people could like such climates🤣, otherwise, my other pet peeve is my intolerance for extreme cold and super harsh winter weather(Hoosiers are tough cookies though, they can handle temperatures of -20F/-29C), which I have not ever really experienced(Coldest temperature I recall ever being outside and exposed to is around -10F or so, and even that was practically more than I could tolerate lol)

Old 02-22-2017, 09:58 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,494,017 times
800 mm is not wet?? Seriously? It's not overly wet but that's still a lot of rain. I live in a climate with just under 900mm and nobody calls it anything but wet. Just because there's not rainforest levels of precipitation doesn't make something not wet. Just like calling 0C not cold just because it isn't extreme or calling 30C not hot for the same reason.

The people who claim to want -70F winters when they've never experienced anything below -30F. Don't say you like an extreme, perhaps life threatening temperature for months on end when you've never experienced anything close to it.

As long as it's not "wanting" some stupid extreme temperature for a large portion of the year when you have never experienced it, weather preferences don't bother me at all. People have diverse opinions and can think/want anything reasonable they want about weather. If you've experienced -50F or 120F and loved it, then that's fine to like that weather.

More likely, the people who are intolerant of cold/hot/boring/wet/dry climate lovers. Just because they don't have similar preferences to you doesn't make their preferences a problem. Season lovers constantly trash people for preferring mild to warm weather year round and then those people trash people for liking cold and snow.

But saying you like extreme weather you've never experienced is annoying. Oh yeah I like 100F so I want my summer to be 140F every day. People on here would have a field day complaining about that but liking -30F and saying you want -70F every day in the winter seems fine.

Last edited by Steelernation71; 02-22-2017 at 10:07 PM..

Old 02-22-2017, 10:10 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
People who ***** about cold, cloudy, rainy or snowy weather. Variety is the spice of life. It can't be sunny and 80°F every damn day. Every type of weather has good and bad qualities. Every season has good and bad qualities.

Cold weather is refreshing and stable. Cloudy weather is easier on the eyes. Rain keeps the plants growing and recharges lakes and rivers. Snow is nice to look at during the barren winter months, and good for skiing and other outdoor activities.

Sure, any of those things in excess can be hard to deal with, but even perpetual sunshine becomes boring, and during the summer it can even be dangerous. On a related note, how many people die of heat stroke every year versus hypothermia?

Old 02-22-2017, 10:24 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,730,067 times
I'm not irked by anyone's preferences. And yes, Arica gets an F, as does Vostok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.