Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 11:46 AM

658 posts, read 360,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I'm not bothered by anyone's preferences, aside from those that still root for snow and cold in March and April. .
Yeeaeaah I'd admit that gets on my nerves. I want more 50's and even into the 60's in March - while people are free to like what they like, some need to accept that in spring it's going to get warmer.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:51 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,002,110 times
Mine generally fall under the category of heatmongering and sunmongering as well as the extreme heat-and-sun bias of the media and to a lesser extent the broader culture which pressures and indoctrinates people to believe, behave, and say heat and sun are superior and they like it to a far greater extent than their minds and bodies actually do. In other words modern culture tells us we're supposed to like heat and sunshine and hate cold, clouds, rain, and snow in much the same way we're supposed to be extraverted and hate being alone (a well-documented phenomenon). In both cases everyone is supposed to like what only a minority of people actually like and such a culture serves the broad majority of the population very poorly; a more flexible, live-and-let-live culture that accepts that people are different in these things would be much better. In its better moments this board serves as a working model of this attitude.

As for the actual weather preferences that annoy me there are very few that truly annoy me; I couldn't care less if people personally prefer warm weather or whatever. The people whose only interest in weather appears to be obsessing over palm trees and their health in what are obviously non-tropical climates marginal for them annoy me, especially since I personally find palm trees' appearance repulsive and I've never heard of anyone obsessing over the health of any of the multitude of northern plants that die in marginal southerly climates if a summer or two gets too hot for them.

Another annoyance of mine is the people who get after others for daring to like or wish for a springtime freeze or spell of wintry weather after the most marginal of plants come out. They seem incapable of understanding that the whole point of enjoying a transition season is to see summer-like weather transition to winter-like weather and back again and everything in-between; it's a natural part of the season and the plants know that in their DNA (besides, putting a plant's preferences above a man's seems backwards to me). The season where no winter-like weather ever happens is summer, not spring.

Another annoyance is the people who claim that any extreme hot or cold weather not found in some ultra-temperate or tropical climate (tellingly usually one they like) is injurious to human health or lethal in some way even when it obviously isn't. More people die of cold waves in villages in India than on the North Slope; when it comes to cold and human health there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing. That's more than one can say about heat which you can't dress for but the same principle applies - the European heat wave in 2003 killed vastly greater numbers of people than any tropical or hot desert heat wave ever has, because they had no air conditioning and were otherwise unprepared*.

*Which honestly considering their history of heat waves even before 2003 is puzzling, but one can say the same for cold waves in places like Mexico or northern India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelernation71 View Post
More likely, the people who are intolerant of cold/hot/boring/wet/dry climate lovers. Just because they don't have similar preferences to you doesn't make their preferences a problem. Season lovers constantly trash people for preferring mild to warm weather year round and then those people trash people for liking cold and snow.

But saying you like extreme weather you've never experienced is annoying. Oh yeah I like 100F so I want my summer to be 140F every day. People on here would have a field day complaining about that but liking -30F and saying you want -70F every day in the winter seems fine.
Indeed, although I will say that if one knows people who have experienced more extreme temperatures one can extrapolate temperature tolerances and arrive at an educated guess; for instance, if someone you know has the same reaction to 60F as you have to 80F and 80F as you have to 100F, then if that person finds 100F unbearable then probably you won't find anything under 120F to be too hot. There's only one way to be sure, of course, which some of these people don't acknowledge, but there is a method to the madness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
People who want -40C winters
-40C in the winter is a great temperature - who are you trying to kid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsizat View Post
I have interest in extreme cold temperatures. I want to experience it but I have no opportunity to experince it. I am whining about it. I am whinning about how temperate my city is. The temperature cannot drop much in my city. I am living in a city which has oceanic temperate climate. The coldest I experienced was -2°C in the city. In the mountain, I must have experienced a little colder than that ( It felt colder than -2°C) but I didn't know what the temperature was. By knowing the temperature, the coldest I experienced was -2°C.

This is my city and I hate the climate of my city. It's too warm in winter. It is not my taste.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%B0zmit

Average high temperature in January is 9.7°C
Average low temperature in January is 3.3°C

Wikipedia says 9.6°C and 3.4°C for average high and low in January but 0.1°C difference is not important.
For what it's worth I agree with you - your city's climate does suck. You should try to vacation to one of the colder parts of your country during one of the arctic air outbreaks during the winter if you're able to; perhaps a ski area of some sort. If you've heard this advice a thousand times and it doesn't help for whatever reason, just forget about it; I don't know that much about the climates of your country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
People who think a 25 or so degree swing in avg temps is a boring climate where the weather is the same year round.
Quito is definitely the same year round except for maybe a small dry season.
In all fairness a climate that can easily be in the 60s by night in midwinter or midsummer (like your region's) could be considered the same year-round to some degree; many places that even I like may be considered guilty of the same offense but on the other hand in for instance the Upper Peninsula 40s by night (as cool as it usually gets in the summer) doesn't seem to occur nearly as often in the winter as 60s seem to occur in the South.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:15 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,594,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
People who want cold in March, April and November, typically found on Netweather. They don't want Spring to act like Spring and warm up, and of course come summer, they're the ones who claim that a cloudy 20c day is a 'fine, dry, warm day', when it's actually cool, cloudy, below average rubbish.
20C is average for most of the country though. I also don't mind cold, snowy weather in March or November. Snow in March isn't uncommon here anyway, and November is such a dreary, miserable month that a bit of snow brightens things up. Definitely my most hated month of the year.

If you actually visit NetWeather during the summer you'll find that nearly all of the 'coldies' have left and people start searching for heat and thunderstorms instead. People who want cool, cloudy weather in July or August are usually hounded off the forum.

I don't get irked by people's preferences. I admit I find it slightly odd that people who only want sunny weather every day of the year post on weather forums, but whatever.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:40 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,458,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
"Las Vegas isn't as hot as Venus, stop complaining, others have it worse." Well, you sure told me.
This attitude annoys me. You can't complain about it being cold because Siberia exists.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:41 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,938,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
I think there's a point to "for its latitude X is too cold/warm" as you're being impressed by a climate, especially since people here are climate and weather enthusiasts. It's cool that Scandinavia and Europe in general manage such high temperatures compared to the same latitudes elsewhere, and it can be interesting to try to find out why etc. Some people here don't necessarily like climates because they would want to live there, but because they think it's a cool climate.
I mean, it is slightly impressive. Dublin has higher average lows in January than north Georgia at 20 degrees latitude difference. But, I don't think that necessarily makes it somehow a better climate in terms of enjoyment. Basically the whole, "hey this is a great mild climate" when really it's "hey this is a great mild climate for its latitude". Some people acknowledge (like yourself) what it really is, a mild climate for its latitude. Others act like it's warmer than it really is which was kinda my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post

In all fairness a climate that can easily be in the 60s by night in midwinter or midsummer (like your region's) could be considered the same year-round to some degree; many places that even I like may be considered guilty of the same offense but on the other hand in for instance the Upper Peninsula 40s by night (as cool as it usually gets in the summer) doesn't seem to occur nearly as often in the winter as 60s seem to occur in the South.
60 as a low doesn't occur that often really. Average highest min temp in January is 53. July's lowest temp is usually 64 though it hasn't dropped below that since 09. It's never hot in winter and rarely "cool" (which really comes with dry air, something not common in July) in summer.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:14 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,370,263 times
As someone who used to live in North GA, I can confirm it definitely doesn't feel like the same year-round lol. Odd that someone thinks a climate with a 50 F January high and a 90 F July high feels the same year-round.

That being said, I did wish North GA had much more winter though. They were rather lame, though infinitely better than down here....

Old 02-23-2017, 01:23 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,332,195 times
Some people on think here that Central Argentina has a boring climate, even when the winter highs are around 10-15C and the summer highs can top 30C. In addition Argentina is very unstable and gets arguably the highest temperature changes outside North America. Say what you want, say it's too warm year round, but you certainly cannot say that Argentina is a boring climate

Old 02-23-2017, 01:51 PM

2,460 posts, read 1,357,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
This attitude annoys me. You can't complain about it being cold because Siberia exists.
Considering that you live in America, what's the official website of meteorological service of United States of America?

Old 02-23-2017, 02:14 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,002,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
As someone who used to live in North GA, I can confirm it definitely doesn't feel like the same year-round lol. Odd that someone thinks a climate with a 50 F January high and a 90 F July high feels the same year-round.
I only said it feels the same to some degree on some days; of course I know it feels quite different the vast majority of days in winter or summer. I also pointed out that it's more similar relative to many other places; in my years of looking at temperature maps there seems to be a much wider gap between mild winter mornings and cool summer mornings in the northern tier than in the lower South.

This may have something to do with the fact that northern Minnesota and the U.P. usually have a 50F or 60F gap between January's and July's averages as opposed to the 30F or 40F gap prevalent in the Deep South.

Quote:
60 as a low doesn't occur that often really. Average highest min temp in January is 53. July's lowest temp is usually 64 though it hasn't dropped below that since 09. It's never hot in winter and rarely "cool" (which really comes with dry air, something not common in July) in summer.
I was speaking of morning temperatures and (to a lesser extent) morning lows rather than daily minima; it's my impression that >60F as a daily minimum usually doesn't occur in days where the morning is >60F (either a morning high or a morning low where it creeps up a bit warmer later in the day) because it's uncommon for the temperature not to drop below 60F late in the following evening.

An excellent example of what I'm talking about was on February 12 of this year; at Fulton County Airport-Brown Field it only dropped to 64F that morning before warming up to 73F later in the day, but because it dropped to 58F before midnight on the following evening the daily minimum was recorded as 58F rather than 64F, which was the morning low (but not the daily minimum) that day. Another good example is January 18 at the same station, where the morning low was 61F, it warmed up to 70F later in the day, but dropped to 54F the following evening by midnight; again, the daily minimum was 54F but the morning low was 61F.

Of course that's two examples in a warmer-than-average two months, so of course it's not fair to say that 60F nights occur all the time, but it is fair to point out that they do usually occur in any given winter in your region. The furthest north that happens all the time (as opposed to just occasionally) in midwinter is the Gulf Coast's climates. Mobile, for example, has set daily minima above 60F 5 times in the last 23 days.

Quote:
I mean, it is slightly impressive. Dublin has higher average lows in January than north Georgia at 20 degrees latitude difference. But, I don't think that necessarily makes it somehow a better climate in terms of enjoyment. Basically the whole, "hey this is a great mild climate" when really it's "hey this is a great mild climate for its latitude". Some people acknowledge (like yourself) what it really is, a mild climate for its latitude. Others act like it's warmer than it really is which was kinda my point.
Higher latitude does provide long summer days and long winter nights which is significant for a lot of people; many may derive greater enjoyment of 80F summers at a higher latitude where there's more daylight than at a lower latitude where there's less. I agree that judging climates by latitude has gotten out of hand, though.

Old 02-23-2017, 02:49 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,410,337 times
People hoping for a bitter start to march, this really pisses me off.. after this warm winter lots of things are leafing and blooming. Peaches are about to be destroyed for sure, the cold loving variety will not set fruit regardless of the freeze because they haven't had enough cooling hours. Meanwhile the less cold desiring peaches are blooming and are about to get zapped...

Strawberries are about to get zapped...

Apples....

And countless other fruits/veggies

Every tree will defoliate and it's reset to mid winter... won't be blooming till may. Ironically people hoping for the cold all live in the north so they don't understand the implications the cold will have as nothing is blooming or growing there yet.... meanwhile 100% of southerners I have seen regardless of weather preference are hoping for an avoidance of a freeze. Now it was the warmup that put us here but it's the freeze that will end us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather