Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2017, 03:35 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,604,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Casablanca's average low in January is less than 10°C so you should reassess your rating.
Ok, Casablanca stays where it is. Average winter lows stay above 10c (as in Casablanca).

That's a good temperature for it to feel like winter without ever having to worry about frost.

Old 03-02-2017, 03:43 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,519,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelernation71 View Post
When people rate climates based on their ability to grow certain trees. This forum is about WEATHER and CLIMATE not what palms can X area grow. It is also annoying that people get so bent out of shape about a TREE. If tender palm X can't grow in Y area, who cares. And also this is a weather forum and people should be judging climates based on weather not trees. If all you care about are jacarandas or palms or whatever, go on the gardening forum or some tree forum.
Growing plants is just one of many ways to enjoy a climate. Indeed, for many people it's the most important way to enjoy a climate.

What good is a weather forum if you're going to deny people the ability to enjoy what they like? Are we to just sit inside all day glued to our computers so we can jump up and down when the temperature reaches 20°C?

Old 03-02-2017, 03:44 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,470,727 times
[quote=alex985;47367913]Yeah, I don't get it either. Not to mention North TX gets winter heat waves that bring temps up to the 80s.

These are the same types that wouldn't call a climate like Savannah subtropical because of "winter cold snaps" , it can't grow phallus retardus palms so it must be a severe continental climate. Never mind the average high is 80 F or higher from April to October.

Yea its ridiculous. This winter was way too warm. The only good thing was too good freezes and one minor snowfall. Otherwise, pretty crappy for Texas standards. But oh north Texas winters are too much! We can't handle a handful of icy days! But 100 degrees for 4 and a half months? Easy peasy You usually see this argument when people try to say Houston has better weather. Houston in my opinion, is just overall lousy. The weather is just as hot as Dallas pretty much but even MORE muggy and humid, and the city itself has horrible air quality. The few cold snaps we do get is a bonus because they help mitigate the long brutal summer. Aside from the summer though, I love the weather we get here especially cuz spring is pretty mild temperature wise. Average high of low 70s in April? Compared to Miami, yes please!

Old 03-02-2017, 08:56 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,206,432 times
What annoys me is those people who criticize MY taste in weather. I like frequent big thunderstorms with lots of cloud to ground lightning, especially on a nice coastal area; or, derechoes, or severe thunderstorms, likely tornado producing, and stuff like that. Free entertainment. Way more fascinating than a hockey game. Far as that's concerned, that's what my front porch is for.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:57 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,340,608 times
I'd say my climatic preferences and my overall environmental preferences are somewhat related, yet they're independent of each other. Climate is the deciding factor for me, as weather has a direct affect on me. Whether or not my favorite plant species or environmental feature exists in a particular climate is irrelevant to my physical comfort. Some of those things exist in climates I'd turn my nose up at.

A high hardiness zone doesn't equate to a good climate, not for me at least, many plants would disagree lol. As much as I enjoy heat I think climates such as Singapore and Dubai kind of suck.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:04 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,189,271 times
When people have a narrow range of temperatures they enjoy. For instance, they find 55 F / 13 C cold, but 80 F / 27 C hot. And people who like the weather to be the same all year, especially dry climates.

I find temperatures from about 20 F / -7 C to near 90 F / 32 C comfortable in the right clothing.

Old 03-02-2017, 11:40 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
When people have a narrow range of temperatures they enjoy. For instance, they find 55 F / 13 C cold, but 80 F / 27 C hot. And people who like the weather to be the same all year, especially dry climates.

I find temperatures from about 20 F / -7 C to near 90 F / 32 C comfortable in the right clothing.
Some of the world's most populated places have a narrow temp range, so you are kind of knocking the majority there

Old 03-03-2017, 02:33 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,966,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post

I don't get the hate for dry climates. I'd understand the aversion if we were living 200 years in the past when we had limited access to water and depended on the rain most of them. People tend to think dry equals lethal or something. Like, relax, if you're in a first world country you shouldn't worry about living in a virtually rainless climate. Look at how the Gulf Arab countries are striving in their virtually dry climate. The only "lethal" thing about their climate though is the extreme heat.

What's livable about a climate that gets like 1700mm+ of rain? How do you go outside with all that intrusive rain? How do you drive? How do you deal with (lethal) floods?

P.S. Yes, yes, dry is lethal too. But if you're living in (parts of) Africa, India or something.

Old 03-03-2017, 04:09 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,305,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Yea its ridiculous. This winter was way too warm. The only good thing was too good freezes and one minor snowfall. Otherwise, pretty crappy for Texas standards. But oh north Texas winters are too much! We can't handle a handful of icy days! But 100 degrees for 4 and a half months? Easy peasy You usually see this argument when people try to say Houston has better weather. Houston in my opinion, is just overall lousy. The weather is just as hot as Dallas pretty much but even MORE muggy and humid, and the city itself has horrible air quality. The few cold snaps we do get is a bonus because they help mitigate the long brutal summer. Aside from the summer though, I love the weather we get here especially cuz spring is pretty mild temperature wise. Average high of low 70s in April? Compared to Miami, yes please!
Incorrect:

1. During the hottest summer months, Houston not only has daytime highs 4F cooler than Dallas, it also has cooler nights as well. Add to that the greater precipitation/cloud cover Houston gets compared to Dallas, which help alleviate the uncomfort of heat and humidity:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Houston

2. Recent American Lung Association rankings have Dallas ahead of Houston in ozone pollution levels:
Most Polluted Cities | American Lung Association

Old 03-03-2017, 05:17 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,954,770 times
Interesting thread. The only thing that irks me about people's tastes in weather are those that leave their houses freezing in the winter and a sauna in the summer, no matter where they live. I also hated the mentality when I lived in Wyoming that the temperature dropped drastically after Labor Day. People seriously acted like it would instantaneously turn to fall once that fateful Tuesday rolled around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather