Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2017, 01:58 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
That's not what my source ( Google) is saying. There's talk of plants in pots, frost cloths and stoic attitudes.

They're both quite resilient plants though and Charleston doesn't look like it sees temperatures below -5C most years. They've squirrels and we've got possums, although they eat the new tips and flowers more than the fruit - they pay dearly for that though.

Not sure you can believe everything on google lol. My doctor told me to stay away from it cause as someone with a propensity for hypochondria he said it is not good my mental state lol. He said as an example many things on there related to health information is bs or things people claim. he said never trust it and don't look anything up. Instead call or text him. Same applies for any topic.

People who never try growing things claim they heard it doesn't grow there cause someone had one that died etc etc. Plant people know far more about what grows there. If you ever take a trip there just walk around the town and people will chat you up. I had an old woman drive by me in Beaufort and I waved her down and we talked citrus. Said her grandparents and on down had been growing all kinds of citrus there for decades.

I have a friend runs a community garden just south of Charleston and told me just the other day his avocado tree is loaded with blooms. Also has meyer lemon trees.

Sea Island Garden » Blog Archive » 105 DEGREES DOES NOT STOP OUR GARDEN!

Joe some year make a trip over the eastern US and walk around the towns and cities. I was highly skeptical of citrus growing there myself due to winter low temps, but going there and talking to people, seeing huge trees up close, and joining forums changed my mind. A really cold winter will sometimes take out weak old trees that aren't properly cared for or not properly fertilized, and yet on some barrier islands they have it growing wild. Also, real cold winters may limit greatly the following seasons crop. You probably wouldn't have that issue since you are in a very stable climate. But almost every year they get some kind of crop down there.

I got this response from my FB friend in Charleston:

I've heard people say citrus doesn't grow in Beaufort SC. Well on a Jan day strolling around the town I saw citrus in almost every yard, tangerines, oranges, kumquats, grapefruit, and lemons.

Here is some citrus in Beaufort SC.

Old 03-08-2017, 12:05 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,775,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Not sure you can believe everything on google lol. My doctor told me to stay away from it cause as someone with a propensity for hypochondria he said it is not good my mental state lol. He said as an example many things on there related to health information is bs or things people claim. he said never trust it and don't look anything up. Instead call or text him. Same applies for any topic.

People who never try growing things claim they heard it doesn't grow there cause someone had one that died etc etc. Plant people know far more about what grows there. If you ever take a trip there just walk around the town and people will chat you up. I had an old woman drive by me in Beaufort and I waved her down and we talked citrus. Said her grandparents and on down had been growing all kinds of citrus there for decades.

I have a friend runs a community garden just south of Charleston and told me just the other day his avocado tree is loaded with blooms. Also has meyer lemon trees.

Sea Island Garden » Blog Archive » 105 DEGREES DOES NOT STOP OUR GARDEN!

Joe some year make a trip over the eastern US and walk around the towns and cities. I was highly skeptical of citrus growing there myself due to winter low temps, but going there and talking to people, seeing huge trees up close, and joining forums changed my mind. A really cold winter will sometimes take out weak old trees that aren't properly cared for or not properly fertilized, and yet on some barrier islands they have it growing wild. Also, real cold winters may limit greatly the following seasons crop. You probably wouldn't have that issue since you are in a very stable climate. But almost every year they get some kind of crop down there.

I got this response from my FB friend in Charleston:

I've heard people say citrus doesn't grow in Beaufort SC. Well on a Jan day strolling around the town I saw citrus in almost every yard, tangerines, oranges, kumquats, grapefruit, and lemons.

Here is some citrus in Beaufort SC.

Hey, you're back.

Old 03-08-2017, 01:17 PM

405 posts, read 476,317 times
My biggest pet peeve is when I hear my relatives from FL or CA saying they wish they could have "cold weather" because warm weather is "boring"

Living in NY my whole life and experiencing different kinds of weather, I can tell anyone that heat is MUCH more tolerable. Cold weather irritates/dries out my sinuses, gets me very sick, causes awful traffic, is miserable, shoveling snow is probably the most intense workout, and is just overall very very unenjoyable.

Yes I realize that drenching humidity and scorching 110 degree temps arent fun, but at least you can enjoy them in a pool, in the ocean, in air conditioning (most buildings in hot humid states are air conditioned, not the case in NY when its early September and you are dripping sweat from the humidity)

Old 03-08-2017, 04:09 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,668,387 times
People who say we have hot summers here. Just heard it a couple days ago and it drives me crazy. We only get a handful of 30c days a year which is hardly noticeable.

These are the people who have never been anywhere else before to experience that we are not "that" hot.

Mind you, they are "still" living here and must enjoy the cold climate.

A few folks I know who are also cold haters have fled to warmer regions.

Old 03-08-2017, 04:23 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
Hey, you're back.
You really had to quote that whole essay just to say this? Could've just said it right after his post.....

Old 08-05-2017, 11:18 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
How continental lovers would favour humid and snowy climates like Toronto and Chicago, and yet they'll generally hate something like Yerevan or Astana, because it's "too dry/sunny". They want their four seasonal climate to have everything (blizzards, floods), but just not sunshine or dryness. Hm...

Old 08-05-2017, 11:22 PM

1,363 posts, read 791,328 times
People that claim that places like Phoenix are unlivable holes yet weeks of -40C are perfectly acceptable.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:43 AM

269 posts, read 199,734 times
Anyone who like cool, cloudy climates

Old 08-06-2017, 10:18 AM

2,197 posts, read 1,494,271 times
People who claim to "like" weather far colder/hotter than they've experienced.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:25 AM

3,314 posts, read 2,216,167 times
Anybody who complains about other peoples weather preferences
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather