Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2017, 02:08 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,361,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
But if people like palms & other tropical plants then it is an important factor for them. It's no different to the reasons anyone else may have for their own preferred climates. If people like cold climates it doesn't bother me, so don't know why so many get their knickers in a twist about others only liking climates that can support tropical plants... You could say that people obsessed with snow should go on a skiing forum
I rarely see people obsessed with snow rating something an F because of one thing though.

It just seems silly to give something such a low rating because of one bad quality. Like I'm sure you'd actually enjoy the climate of the US South the majority of the year, but I've seen you grade those climates with Ds or Fs, and then grade something in England a C even though it's colder and you're a warmth lover. Kind of perplexing but whatever.

I used to be a lot more picky with climates, handing out Fs like if they were running out business but I've become a bit more lenient.

Also people like me who are maybe "obsessed with snow" also enjoy other types of weather. I enjoy heat as well, I enjoy thunderstorms, etc. The skiing forum is not really as relevant to us than the gardening forum is to a palm enthusiast.

Old 03-02-2017, 02:20 PM

13,484 posts, read 9,024,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I rarely see people obsessed with snow rating something an F because of one thing though.

It just seems silly to give something such a low rating because of one bad quality. Like I'm sure you'd actually enjoy the climate of the US South the majority of the year, but I've seen you grade those climates with Ds or Fs, and then grade something in England a C even though it's colder and you're a warmth lover. Kind of perplexing but whatever.

I used to be a lot more picky with climates, handing out Fs like if they were running out business but I've become a bit more lenient.

Also people like me who are maybe "obsessed with snow" also enjoy other types of weather. I enjoy heat as well, I enjoy thunderstorms, etc. The skiing forum is not really as relevant to us than the gardening forum is to a palm enthusiast.
Climates that I give lower ratings to normally have very cold record lows & are prone to cold snaps, that's why I may have given them a lower rating than a climate in England for example. I'd rather have a cooler summer with a mild winter, than have a hot summer if it came with frost & snow in winter. I rarely give out F's unless it is a really crappy climate, like cold winters & cool summers...

I enjoy all sorts of weather too, even snow, just not where I live I really don't understand why anyone should get annoyed at someone elses weather/climate preferences. I see lots of people give low ratings to climates that have mild/warm winters & that have a lack of snow, so it works both ways...

I do go on gardening forums too, as well as the gardening forum on here, but weather/climate is a huge interest to me as well, that's why I joined here. And I don't think I go on about palms very much anyway, I generally only mention them if someone else has brought them up

Old 03-02-2017, 02:21 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Are there actually any posters giving F ratings due to no palm trees though?

Vegetation, skiing or any other interest, seem like valid reasons to base climates on anyway. Skiing and type of vegetation are both important to me.

Old 03-02-2017, 02:33 PM

808 posts, read 710,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Honestly this is how I grade climates (from lowest grade to highest)

F: No redeemable qualities; or maybe one redeemable quality in a sea of negatives.

D: A couple of redeemable qualities; but mostly negative

C: An equal amount of positive and negatives. A climate I don't hate but don't necessarily love either.

B: More positive than negatives, a climate I like but don't love.

A: An overwhelming amount of positives, a climate that makes my wiener hard when I look at the climate box.
LOL

My scale (from highest to lowest):

A: Very good climate in all seasons, with no major flaws.

B: Very solid climate, but there are a couple of (generally minor) things that make it not an A. I like it, but I don't love.

C: Average to decent; livable in all seasons. Positives and negatives roughly equal.

D: Poor climate, with more negatives than positives. May be a boring oceanic one or a continental one with very cold winters, but still a decent summer, such as my actual location.

E: A marginal climate, with negatives greatly outnumbering the positives. Very close to failing.

F: Fail. Fails to deliver satisfaction; redeeming qualities are few and far between. Any climate with a record high below 90*F is also an automatic F as it fails to meet my #1 expectation: potential for good warmth/heat.

G: Rarely given. So bad it makes other F's look like an A+. Example: Dhdh's Mount Despair

Old 03-02-2017, 02:48 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,593,888 times
My scale:

A: The best of the best Csa climates, or semi arid climates. Winter minima rarely below 10c, eg Casablanca, Las Palmas

B: Some dry 'real' Cfa climates. Warm, with no chance of winter frost eg Brisbane. Csb climates with warm winters eg Porto.

C: Neutral climates, Cfb climates and Csb climates with cool winters. eg London, Paris, Seattle

D: The best of Koppen's D classification. Continental climates such as Chicago, or Cfa climates with cold winters such as New York City. Crap oceanic climates such as Glasgow go here.

E: The really bad Cfc climates such as Lerwick or Reykjavik, or extremely cold climates than have somewhat decent summers like Novosibirsk.

F: Polar climates such as Vostok, or tundra.

Old 03-02-2017, 02:50 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,132 times
^^

I love how you say 'real' cfa climates, quite comical.

Old 03-02-2017, 02:55 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,666,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Are there actually any posters giving F ratings due to no palm trees though?

Vegetation, skiing or any other interest, seem like valid reasons to base climates on anyway. Skiing and type of vegetation are both important to me.
If it can't grow palms then it is too cold to get a good rating from me.

Vegetation is also important to me and I find sub tropical climates to have good vegetation.

Most important to me is warm weather where I can freely (any month of the year) do the outdoor activities I like to do.

Old 03-02-2017, 03:05 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
If it can't grow palms then it is too cold to get a good rating from me.

Vegetation is also important to me and I find sub tropical climates to have good vegetation.

Most important to me is warm weather where I can freely (any month of the year) do the outdoor activities I like to do.
Yep, all important to me, but particularly the last one. Being able to enjoy the outdoor activities I like, comfortably year round,is very important.

Old 03-02-2017, 03:27 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,494,017 times
My Scale:

A: Very good, only a few minor issues

B: Good climates but I don't love them. Still rather small issues.

C: Average climates. Not too bad but not good either. A mix of good and bad. Ex: Rochester

D: Below average but not terrible. Some redeeming characteristics or no overly bad ones. Most comfortable but boring ones get this grade.

E: Terrible but has a redeeming quality.

F: Nothing good or one part of the year is so overwhelmingly bad it cancels out the redeeming feature.

Old 03-02-2017, 03:34 PM

5,731 posts, read 3,510,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
My scale:

A: The best of the best Csa climates, or semi arid climates. Winter minima rarely below 10c, eg Casablanca, Las Palmas
Casablanca's average low in January is less than 10°C so you should reassess your rating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.