Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 05:18 PM

6,115 posts, read 4,606,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
How 70f is considered the "default" mild temperature
It annoys me when the weather forecasters call a low temperature of 75F "mild" in the summer when the dew point is also 70F+.

Mild means not harsh/gentle, etc.

That kind of mugginess isn't mild!

Old 02-23-2017, 05:30 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,451,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsizat View Post
Considering that you live in America, what's the official website of meteorological service of United States of America?
National Weather Service

Old 02-23-2017, 06:33 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times
I don't see how people can love cold/snow/winter and hate summer. That's just crazy to me. What person in their right mind loves winter?

Old 02-23-2017, 06:36 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,317,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Not annoying, but rather amused by all the people who want a place that never goes below 40 F and never gets over 80F, where the sun shines all the time and it never rains and it is lush and green with lots of hiking, fishing, and outdoor sports and a nice forest close by. Those same people always are looking for the place with lots of high paying jobs and a low cost of living.
Well as unrealistic as it is, I am one who wants ALL of that. It may be unrealistic, but I badly want it. I want the benefits of X without any of its quirks. Anything below 40 is COLD anything above (say) 85 is HOT, and if you find a place that doesn't get very cold it gets very hot or vice versa (heck some do both which really sucks), if you find a place that is 40-80F then everyone and their cousin lives there and makes it crowded and expensive. You have to pick your poison basically, and I want no poison whatsoever. I want plenty of places to swim WITHOUT it having to rain every other minute (greenery I can do without). I want there to be no bugs WITHOUT it having to get down to 20'F to kill them off.

The main thing which bothers me where I live--it seems that the period when it's 65-80 for the normal high is what is "violated" the most in terms of it not doing that, instead much of the time it will either have a cold snap and be around 50 or even 40 and then next thing it's near 90, so you get a LOT of the more extreme temperatures. It thinks nothing of being 20 degrees below normal in spring and thus being 50 instead of 70, but no way will it be 20 degrees below normal in summer and be 75 instead of 95. The other thing is that instead of raining every now and then at a normal rate to keep things afresh but nonetheless have some sunny days, instead it "sandbags" in terms of not raining for a long time until the soil is cracked and then it suddenly goes ape-doo-doo and rains by the buckets. That's just stupid to me.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:01 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Well as unrealistic as it is, I am one who wants ALL of that. It may be unrealistic, but I badly want it. I want the benefits of X without any of its quirks. Anything below 40 is COLD anything above (say) 85 is HOT, and if you find a place that doesn't get very cold it gets very hot or vice versa (heck some do both which really sucks), if you find a place that is 40-80F then everyone and their cousin lives there and makes it crowded and expensive. You have to pick your poison basically, and I want no poison whatsoever. I want plenty of places to swim WITHOUT it having to rain every other minute (greenery I can do without). I want there to be no bugs WITHOUT it having to get down to 20'F to kill them off.

The main thing which bothers me where I live--it seems that the period when it's 65-80 for the normal high is what is "violated" the most in terms of it not doing that, instead much of the time it will either have a cold snap and be around 50 or even 40 and then next thing it's near 90, so you get a LOT of the more extreme temperatures. It thinks nothing of being 20 degrees below normal in spring and thus being 50 instead of 70, but no way will it be 20 degrees below normal in summer and be 75 instead of 95. The other thing is that instead of raining every now and then at a normal rate to keep things afresh but nonetheless have some sunny days, instead it "sandbags" in terms of not raining for a long time until the soil is cracked and then it suddenly goes ape-doo-doo and rains by the buckets. That's just stupid to me.
There are cheap places with that ideal range. They just happen to be in Central Mexico rather than the US

Old 02-23-2017, 07:07 PM

387 posts, read 358,211 times
a lot people like bad weather (i.e., cold, snowy, rainy) because they like having an excuse to laze about indoors snacking like fatties and watching TV. they're mentally weak and they absolutely disgust me.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:25 PM

149 posts, read 89,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesRamon View Post
a lot people like bad weather (i.e., cold, snowy, rainy) because they like having an excuse to laze about indoors snacking like fatties and watching TV. they're mentally weak and they absolutely disgust me.
Dang. You got me. I'd better hurry up and get to a mild, sunny, perfect climate as soon as possible before my weight gets any worse--in fact, I'm only 90 pounds away from the 200 lb mark. I'm basically obese already. I haven't so much as set foot outside in a year. I have no bones. I am literally a blob of pure fat. And I'd better stop watching TV, too. I think I might have caught a glimpse of the television yesterday. I'm addicted.

But in all seriousness, you do have me on the snacking. I love snacking.

(Also, wonderful twist of logic: the people who like mild, calm weather are strong while those who like wild weather are weak. Perfect).

Old 02-23-2017, 09:35 PM

7,033 posts, read 4,952,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I don't see how people can love cold/snow/winter and hate summer. That's just crazy to me. What person in their right mind loves winter?
half the forum

Old 02-24-2017, 12:52 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,730,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
I joined last summer, and in May there were people still hoping for a freak late cold spell. Then in June, which was a total disgrace of a month, there were people wishing for it to be even cooler and wetter! In September, which made up for the non-showing of June, those same people were complaining that it was too warm.
Why does that annoy you? They simply aren't happy with London's summer averages. If I'm in Paris, I will complain if August is below average even if June and July were 2°C+ above, because I'd like much warmer summers than what Paris gets.

Old 02-24-2017, 01:39 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,593,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Why does that annoy you? They simply aren't happy with London's summer averages. If I'm in Paris, I will complain if August is below average even if June and July were 2°C+ above, because I'd like much warmer summers than what Paris gets.
Because the month was terrible, and any time there was a slight improvement, they would be moaning about it being 'too oppressive', even though it was still cloudy, wet and below average.

They wanted it to be even worse than what it actually was! Then we got a normal July, a decent August and a September which had more June-like temps, and off they go loaning about it being too hot again (as if we hadn't had enough below average crap at the start of the summer).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.