Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2017, 04:01 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,494,271 times

Advertisements

When people rate climates based on their ability to grow certain trees. This forum is about WEATHER and CLIMATE not what palms can X area grow. It is also annoying that people get so bent out of shape about a TREE. If tender palm X can't grow in Y area, who cares. And also this is a weather forum and people should be judging climates based on weather not trees. If all you care about are jacarandas or palms or whatever, go on the gardening forum or some tree forum.

Old 02-28-2017, 04:39 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,953,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelernation71 View Post
when people rate climates based on their ability to grow certain trees. This forum is about weather and climate not what palms can x area grow. It is also annoying that people get so bent out of shape about a tree. If tender palm x can't grow in y area, who cares. And also this is a weather forum and people should be judging climates based on weather not trees. If all you care about are jacarandas or palms or whatever, go on the gardening forum or some tree forum.
1+

Old 02-28-2017, 08:30 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
You can tell a lot about an area's climate, by it's vegetation. Even subtle differences in climate can be shown by vegetation.

Ignoring clues to climate is wilful ignorance, and is a sign of someone who isn't that interested in climate and all matters related.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:37 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,363,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelernation71 View Post
When people rate climates based on their ability to grow certain trees. This forum is about WEATHER and CLIMATE not what palms can X area grow. It is also annoying that people get so bent out of shape about a TREE. If tender palm X can't grow in Y area, who cares. And also this is a weather forum and people should be judging climates based on weather not trees. If all you care about are jacarandas or palms or whatever, go on the gardening forum or some tree forum.
People like this give Fs to climates that they'd probably enjoy for 3/4ths of the year because of "brutal record lows".

Old 03-01-2017, 11:31 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
People like this give Fs to climates that they'd probably enjoy for 3/4ths of the year because of "brutal record lows".
I dun get the pickiness some people have over like, a handful of months outside their comfort zone. And I don't mean three months of like brutal cold like up north I mean like, three months of 40s/30s/20s only. Like people that think north Texas is just "too cold in the winter." What?

Old 03-01-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I dun get the pickiness some people have over like, a handful of months outside their comfort zone. And I don't mean three months of like brutal cold like up north I mean like, three months of 40s/30s/20s only. Like people that think north Texas is just "too cold in the winter." What?
Yeah, I don't get it either. Not to mention North TX gets winter heat waves that bring temps up to the 80s.

These are the same types that wouldn't call a climate like Savannah subtropical because of "winter cold snaps" , it can't grow phallus retardus palms so it must be a severe continental climate. Never mind the average high is 80 F or higher from April to October.

It seems odd to rate a climate an F because of one factor. I don't see anyone do this besides the palm obsessed people on here. Everyone else rates Fs to climates that have literally no positive in their mind.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:25 AM

2,155 posts, read 1,541,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Yeah, I don't get it either. Not to mention North TX gets winter heat waves that bring temps up to the 80s.

These are the same types that wouldn't call a climate like Savannah subtropical because of "winter cold snaps" , it can't grow phallus retardus palms so it must be a severe continental climate. Never mind the average high is 80 F or higher from April to October.

It seems odd to rate a climate an F because of one factor. I don't see anyone do this besides the palm obsessed people on here. Everyone else rates Fs to climates that have literally no positive in their mind.
I remember seeing some people giving certain mediterranean climates F simply because they don't have any precipitation for like three months. Otherwise it was a nice climate they said. I'm a tolerant dude, but it's just a little weird is all.

Old 03-02-2017, 12:04 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times
Being able to grow cool **** is important, but it's not everything for me. I don't think Iquitos or Manaus are better climates than Buenos Aires or Perth just because they can grow more things. It's cool that in Iquitos you can grow almost any palm tree and have dozens of tropical fruits that you won't find anywhere else in the world, but it does not beat the temperature range of Buenos Aires. I don't give Fs to Texan climates just cause they can't grow jacarandas or cupuacu, I give them Fs because the summers are unbearably humid, and the winters are unstable as ****. Getting shots of humid 85-90 degree weather in the middle of January is not what I want. I don't like climates that can go from 0 to 60 faster than a Ferrari, I want some stability

Old 03-02-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
I remember seeing some people giving certain mediterranean climates F simply because they don't have any precipitation for like three months. Otherwise it was a nice climate they said. I'm a tolerant dude, but it's just a little weird is all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Being able to grow cool **** is important, but it's not everything for me. I don't think Iquitos or Manaus are better climates than Buenos Aires or Perth just because they can grow more things. It's cool that in Iquitos you can grow almost any palm tree and have dozens of tropical fruits that you won't find anywhere else in the world, but it does not beat the temperature range of Buenos Aires. I don't give Fs to Texan climates just cause they can't grow jacarandas or cupuacu, I give them Fs because the summers are unbearably humid, and the winters are unstable as ****. Getting shots of humid 85-90 degree weather in the middle of January is not what I want. I don't like climates that can go from 0 to 60 faster than a Ferrari, I want some stability

Honestly this is how I grade climates (from lowest grade to highest)

F: No redeemable qualities; or maybe one redeemable quality in a sea of negatives.

D: A couple of redeemable qualities; but mostly negative

C: An equal amount of positive and negatives. A climate I don't hate but don't necessarily love either.

B: More positive than negatives, a climate I like but don't love.

A: An overwhelming amount of positives, a climate that makes my wiener hard when I look at the climate box.

Old 03-02-2017, 02:01 PM

13,484 posts, read 9,025,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelernation71 View Post
But if people like palms & other tropical plants then it is an important factor for them. It's no different to the reasons anyone else may have for their own preferred climates. If people like cold climates it doesn't bother me, so don't know why so many get their knickers in a twist about others only liking climates that can support tropical plants... You could say that people obsessed with snow should go on a skiing forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather