Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 08:12 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,317,030 times

Advertisements

People who gripe that it's "boring" if it's not 95 degrees one minute and 12 degrees five minutes later.

People who live in southern AZ and gripe about sunny weather and the lack of greenery. It's the desert. (There were TONS of people who did that when I lived there, many of them transplants.)

People who go "well we NEED the rain" when the sun hasn't shown its face for 13 days in a row and it's so soggy you can't even U-turn on a shoulder without getting stuck.

People who complain that it being sunny more than 5 days in a row is "boring."

Old 02-23-2017, 08:42 AM

2,460 posts, read 1,355,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelernation71 View Post
800 mm is not wet?? Seriously? It's not overly wet but that's still a lot of rain. I live in a climate with just under 900mm and nobody calls it anything but wet. Just because there's not rainforest levels of precipitation doesn't make something not wet. Just like calling 0C not cold just because it isn't extreme or calling 30C not hot for the same reason.

The people who claim to want -70F winters when they've never experienced anything below -30F. Don't say you like an extreme, perhaps life threatening temperature for months on end when you've never experienced anything close to it.

As long as it's not "wanting" some stupid extreme temperature for a large portion of the year when you have never experienced it, weather preferences don't bother me at all. People have diverse opinions and can think/want anything reasonable they want about weather. If you've experienced -50F or 120F and loved it, then that's fine to like that weather.

More likely, the people who are intolerant of cold/hot/boring/wet/dry climate lovers. Just because they don't have similar preferences to you doesn't make their preferences a problem. Season lovers constantly trash people for preferring mild to warm weather year round and then those people trash people for liking cold and snow.

But saying you like extreme weather you've never experienced is annoying. Oh yeah I like 100F so I want my summer to be 140F every day. People on here would have a field day complaining about that but liking -30F and saying you want -70F every day in the winter seems fine.
I have interest in extreme cold temperatures. I want to experience it but I have no opportunity to experince it. I am whining about it. I am whinning about how temperate my city is. The temperature cannot drop much in my city. I am living in a city which has oceanic temperate climate. The coldest I experienced was -2°C in the city. In the mountain, I must have experienced a little colder than that ( It felt colder than -2°C) but I didn't know what the temperature was. By knowing the temperature, the coldest I experienced was -2°C.

This is my city and I hate the climate of my city. It's too warm in winter. It is not my taste.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%B0zmit

Average high temperature in January is 9.7°C
Average low temperature in January is 3.3°C

Wikipedia says 9.6°C and 3.4°C for average high and low in January but 0.1°C difference is not important.

Last edited by atsizat; 02-23-2017 at 09:04 AM..

Old 02-23-2017, 09:01 AM

270 posts, read 187,518 times
when people say things like these:

"climate x had a frost in 1789. automatic F"
"oymyakon is too warm in winter, i'm a badass cold lover"
"stornoway/bergen etc are ideal climates."

Old 02-23-2017, 09:03 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
Not annoying, but rather amused by all the people who want a place that never goes below 40 F and never gets over 80F, where the sun shines all the time and it never rains and it is lush and green with lots of hiking, fishing, and outdoor sports and a nice forest close by. Those same people always are looking for the place with lots of high paying jobs and a low cost of living.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:36 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,360,645 times
People on a so called "weather forum" that ***** about anything that isn't absolutely perfect, which this forum seems to have an abundance of. Why can't people enjoy a variety of weather? Some people just literally seem like they're NEVER satisfied with the weather.

People who have a ridiculously narrow range of comfort (I've seen a poster call the likes of 14 C "too cold" before, and then turn around and call something like 25 C "too hot", like seriously?)

Not a climate preference per say, but it annoys me when people are overly defensive when someone doesn't like their hometown's climate, I.E., "how can you think that's boring?? it does this" or "how is that "too wet"?? it does this" and other ****, like get over it. Not everybody is going to like your hometown's climate. It's not like they're talking **** about your mother.

Another thing (that has been mentioned) is all the palm-obsessed idiots who think a climate is a "fail" because it reached -13 C in like 1899, despite the fact that it averages a high of 27 C or above for like six or seven months and they would likely enjoy the hell out of that climate , they're literally the only group of people who I see rate climates based off of like 5-10 days out of the year.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:44 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,932,450 times
People who think a 25 or so degree swing in avg temps is a boring climate where the weather is the same year round.
Quito is definitely the same year round except for maybe a small dry season.

The whole "for its latitude X is too cold" or "Y is really warm for its latitude"
So? 30 degrees is 30 degrees. Cold is still cold even if places at the same latitude are much colder.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:51 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,592,951 times
That 9 people voted for Vostok in the London vs Vostok climate battle... seriously?

Old 02-23-2017, 10:52 AM

2,155 posts, read 1,540,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
People who think a 25 or so degree swing in avg temps is a boring climate where the weather is the same year round.
Quito is definitely the same year round except for maybe a small dry season.

The whole "for its latitude X is too cold" or "Y is really warm for its latitude"
So? 30 degrees is 30 degrees. Cold is still cold even if places at the same latitude are much colder.
I think there's a point to "for its latitude X is too cold/warm" as you're being impressed by a climate, especially since people here are climate and weather enthusiasts. It's cool that Scandinavia and Europe in general manage such high temperatures compared to the same latitudes elsewhere, and it can be interesting to try to find out why etc. Some people here don't necessarily like climates because they would want to live there, but because they think it's a cool climate.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:01 AM

5,601 posts, read 3,503,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
I think there's a point to "for its latitude X is too cold/warm" as you're being impressed by a climate, especially since people here are climate and weather enthusiasts. It's cool that Scandinavia and Europe in general manage such high temperatures compared to the same latitudes elsewhere, and it can be interesting to try to find out why etc. Some people here don't necessarily like climates because they would want to live there, but because they think it's a cool climate.
It does however feel incredibly weird to walk around outside of Örebro's UHI at 60 metres elevation, 140 km from the open sea at winter solstice and there's not a sight of snow. That's impressive. At least Umeå is at the coast and has a sustained winter every year

I often thought like "imagine that there are polar bears at a coastline south of me right now and that I'm north of places in the Sakha Republic and here I am inland with no gloves on nor needed"

Old 02-23-2017, 11:24 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,326,876 times
I'm not bothered by anyone's preferences, aside from those that still root for snow and cold in March and April. Cherry picking obscure long range model runs that depict the scenarios they wish to see, no matter how outlandish they are. "2 inches of snow fell on this date back in 1635, winter's not over yet" meanwhile it's 80 fkn degrees outside. This isn't an issue here, but it's something I often encounter elsewhere.

Also, I dislike when others feel as if someone should like a certain climate or embrace a specific weather phenomenon for whatever reason. "Las Vegas isn't as hot as Venus, stop complaining, others have it worse." Well, you sure told me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather